Newbie buying bg testing kit

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Has anyone used this kit
    Contour NEXT ONE Diabetes Testing Kit, 100 Count | Glucometer, 100 Contour NEXT Test Strips,...
    There are so many on the market and so many differing opinions! Help!

2. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Think I’m going for this one. Contour NEXT Diabetes Testing Kit, 100 Count | Contour NEXT EZ Meter, 100 Contour NEXT Test..

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sure that one will be fine. We usually recommend a meter that will give a reading with a very tiny blood drop. They can vary a little in that respect. Ask a pharmacist about that.

4. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

I use it and I like it a lot; however I am considering getting another one that requires s smaller drop of blood since my cat has had very cold ears lately and is getting hard to get blood from.

If you buy the 100 pack if test strips that meter is free by the way.

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I went with the Next EZ meter as they say it only needs a small amount of blood and you get a 2nd chance with the same strip! Knowing me I'll mess it up to start off with. Fortunately Truffles is the most laid back cat on the planet so I'm hoping he will make life a little easier for me. It comes with 30g Lancets but I've ordered 28 as well as I read that may be easier for me. Also awaiting his wet food to arrive as they are all on grain free dry food. Go back to the vets tomorrow morning for our induction to the world of caring for our diabetic boy. I'm hoping that he will stop peeing everywhere he shouldn't once he is stabalised. He has never done this before and always used a litter tray but has been peeing on the rugs next to where he sleeps or on the shower mats or the dog bed!! Hubby has now removed all the rugs downstairs.

6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Just FYI in case you didn't know, he might have a UTI if he's peeing out of the box. Make sure to tell the vet about him doing this tomorrow :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  7. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Yesterday he had a full blood panel done including thyroid and a urine test which came back negative for any infection.

Bellasmom and Sean & Rufus like this.
  8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That meter needs:
    • Tiny 0.6 µL blood sample.
    There are meters that use half that amount, 0.3 uL.
    The meter I use uses 0.6 uL and I have no problem. In the past I have use meters/strips that required 1 uL and one that used 3uL. The one that used 3 uL was OK since it was used on a cat that was a good bleeder. The one with 1uL was fine and I really had not trouble.

9. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I use a Contour Next meter and I haven't had any problems with it. It's reliable, stores results, and it gives you 30 (or so) seconds to add more blood if you happen to short the strip. That extra time has definitely saved me a time or two. You can buy the strips for this meter in a store (Walmart, etc.), which is great in case of emergency. I actually buy my strips from eBay. I've been buying them from a reputable seller for $10.75-$11 per box of 50, which is a steal compared to the $36 or so they sell for at Walmart. This has been my favorite listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bayer-Contour-Next-Test-Strips-8-Boxes-of-50-400-Strips-SHIPS-FREE/322336998153?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    beggargirl likes this.
  10. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

When something wrong with my cat Bella, he poops right outside of his cat box to let me know something isn’t right, so I have to figure it out, that’s how he told me about diabetes I tried and tried to think of what had changed and finally took him to vet and sure enough diabetes, once I started insulin he stopped probably about a week later

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  11. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Rufus was doing this too. Pooped outside of box for almost 5 months, sometimes in box. He's not doing it anymore thankfully :)

12. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So went to the vets this am and gave him his first shot. For a needle phobe I am pretty proud of myself! Lol. Truffles was an angel and just lay there for me. I love this cat, so laid back.

13. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

A few years ago, my non-diabetic male cat was peeing out of the litter box so much-on carpet/rugs, jumping in the dirty clothes hamper, peeing on shoes, in the sink, on the couch-it was horrible! We spent so much money at the vet and tried many things but nothing worked. UNTIL we started adding water to his wet food 2-3 times a day. That whole time he was just dehydrated. So he basically ruined my wardrobe and my house but ever since we figured it out, years ago, he's been a model citizen.

Apparently, male cats can be especially affected by dehydration and combined with unregulated diabetes, there's a good chance that Truffles has that issue as well. Especially if his blood and urine tests came back okay. I hope he starts feeling better soon! And congrats on testing! It's so good being able to know where their levels are.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.