Newbie confused--difference between PZI and Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ursa68, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ursa68

ursa68 Member

Hello, I introduced myself in a panic the other day.... My Colby has been struggling lately with eating his wet food and getting high BG numbers. And no, I still haven't done my spreadsheet :) I'm feeling better now, and have a plan of action which I need to discuss with my vet.

I would like to talk to my vet tomorrow about trying a different insulin. We just started Vetsulin Friday after being on Novolin N since mid 2013. After doing some reading, I would like to try a different insulin ... I think BCP-PZI. I'm just having trouble understanding the difference between Prozinc and PZI. So, Prozinc is human origin? and PZI is bovine? And there was a shortage of bovine pancreas a while back, but apparently there is a company, BCP, that compounds the PZI? But then I read that some people advise against compounded PZI. What do people here use if they are using compounded? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand all this before I talk to my vet.

Thank you, and I must say, I am very impressed by all the knowledgeable people on here and their willingness to help!

Cindy and Colby

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

They are 2 different products.
    ProZinc
    BCP PZI
    I use ProZinc; it was designed for cats.
    Note that the BCP PZI can vary some batch to batch.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Some cats do better with the BCP insulin since bovine insulin matches cat's insulin better than human insulin.

4. Prozinc is thought to have a slightly longer duration (10-14 hours) than Compounded PZI (8-12 hours).
    BCP costs about half as much.
    My cat was on Compounded PZI for 10 weeks and went into remission.

5. ursa68

ursa68 Member

Thank you.... I stayed up way too late last night reading about the different insulins. I understand the differences now, but I keep going back and forth on what to try next! I've been scouring the board, reading about other people's experiences and taking notes. I have an appt tomorrow afternoon with the vet and hopefully he and I can come to a decision. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.