Newbie..Dosing.. I don't think I should dose tonight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SamanthaLee87, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamanthaLee87

SamanthaLee87 New Member

Please help! I am not sure if I should give KC insulin tonight. I home tested with Relion. 1u of insulin 30 minutes after she finished

Yesterday AM 6:12. 226
    Last night6:40. 179
    This AM 6:45. 171
    Tonight 6:41. 187

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

No shoot or a tiny 0.25 dose.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Do you have syringes with half unit markings? 1.0U is looking like too much when she's high enough to receive insulin. Might be good to try and get some before bed tests, if you are able as well. These usually range between +2 to +4 after PM shot. Kitties tend to run lower overnight for an idiopathic reason :rolleyes:.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

See now mine runs higher at night.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, CC runs higher at night, but the majority of kitties run lower at night, then spike at dawn. So if dosing is just based on the daytime numbers, an owner can end up overdosing their cat during the PM cycle. That's why Yong was recommending that Samantha get in a test or two after the PM shot if possible.

As for Samantha's question about dosing, you don't have to skip just because KC has a blue number. As Janet and Yong both suggested, it is possible to give less than one unit, and if you're not comfortable eyeballing it, you can get syringes with half-unit marks. Given the red numbers that follow a NS, I'm not convinced that one unit is too much though. Would it be possible to get some mid-cycle tests maybe on Saturday and Sunday so we can see what kind of numbers KC is getting at the nadir? That would really help to get an idea of what needs to happen with the dose.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

My boy started off running higher at night too :cat:

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.