? Newbie help?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anna❤️Spooter, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna❤️Spooter

Anna❤️Spooter Member

Hi everybody I don't know if I'm on the right forum but I have a couple of questions 2 days ago my kitty was diagnosed diabetes I recently just got custody back four days ago went straight to the vet and he stayed overnight. He is prescribed two units twice a day of Lantus and I'm about to give him his first shot of insulin in about 45 minutes? I need to run to the store to grab more wet Kitty food even if it's temporary what brand is ok until I can get to my pet health food store? He's only 4 years old.Idk if that helps.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Anna, you're in the right Forum. Most of feed Fancy Feast, you don't need the $4/can food. The main forums are full of helpful advice and if you haven't looked yet there are even forums for the different types of insulin. I had to print this stuff out and sit down with a highliter, it's a lot to take in. You got custody back of Spooter? Let me guess, someone couldn't or didn't want to take care of him. He's not sick, he's different, just like the rest of us.

3. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I would also post on the Lantus forum to get more eyes on your post. Also, if you look at the yellow stickies there is a lot of info on how Lantus works including starting doses. Do you know about home testing? There are very helpful links on the Lantus forum. It is a lot of info to learn and I found it easier to take it in small chunks. :)Welcome to you and Spooter:bighug:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. Anna❤️Spooter

Anna❤️Spooter Member

Yes I got custody of him from my ex after a year-and-a-half. My ex didn't even know he was sick and I hadn't seen him in about six months. I know he was overweight he was probably a 15 or 16 pound cat but when I pick them up on Thursday I saw how thin he was and started crying I went to the vet to our appointment and that's when they decided he needed to spend the night and get all the tests done. I just thought he'd been starved n was ready to kill (not really) my ex! The vets were prepared forum and overweight little scrapper who didn't really like people for our appointment and sadly he was so weak that he let anybody and everybody hold him. It was so painful to see my baby so fragile he's so happy to B with my son and I but he is different now and its painful to see. I'm hoping we get him leveled out and healthy as possible. If he feels good I'm happy with any way he wants to act and chooses to be now

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Is he walking ok or had he developed neuropathy?

The good news is now that he is getting treatment he should bounce back.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

My sister's first fiancé was an idiot. Every woman in the office knew he was having an affair; they both went on separate vacations (to the same place, just a coincidence though) and came back with tans. She left him and just took his two dogs. He never made a peep. Love won't fix everything but now Spooter is in a much better place now and you have chosen the best place on Earth to come for help. Please keep coming back, there's no such thing as a stupid question and a lot of us have cats that someone else gave up on.

7. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

My Boo went from an overweight 30 lb cat to a scrawny 13 lbs in several months. I had a bigger health crisis in the household at the time and kept putting off a trip to the vet for him. He was diagnosed as diabetic and the insulin turned him around almost instantly.

How heavy is your cat, 2 units might be a bit much to start him at. If you do start there I would recommend testing every two hours to make sure he stays above 50. Walmarts have strips and meters if you don't have them yet. Most brands will throw in a free meter with 100 strips.

AlphaCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.