Newbie here concerned about BG levels with Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by injuredrabbit, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

Hi all - it's Rufus's mom again. We are only starting day three of our insulin therapy so it may be a bit early to ask this question but since I am concerned and you all are so helpful, I am hoping for some advice.
    I have not yet been at home for a long enough spell of time to make a glucose curve, but I talked to my vet yesterday and he said the two most important times to test were right before the insulin and about six hours later. I did not do a blood test this morning before the insulin because he also hasn't been eating much and I did not want to stress him out further. But I did do one six hours later and it tested on the ReliOn meter at 416, which is the highest of the half-dozen times I have tested so far.
    He is on one unit of Vetsulin twice a day.

2. LexaJoy

LexaJoy Member

Hullo! I have previous experience with Vetsulin, though that's not the insulin we're using right now. Probably someone more helpful than me will weigh in, but! What I do understand about Vetsulin is that it acts fast and doesn't quite last the whole 12 hours that spans between shots. So while maybe you think 6 hours would be peak effectiveness, that's not necessarily going to be the case. What that means is, at least for now, I wouldn't worry that your +6 is a high number.

The most important thing for SURE is to test before every time you give insulin. And then, you probably want to get some tests all through your cycles, to see how quickly or slowly your kitty in particular is processing the dose. That'll help you get a better grip on when he should be at his lowest.

Just for peace of mind, I usually test before I leave the house for long periods of time (before work, or before spending a day out somewhere) and before bed (so I can rest easier). Everything else is extra data, and more information is always good!

injuredrabbit likes this.
  3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I agree with Lexajoy, also post on the Vetsulin board, where there's ton's of users who know their stuff. :)

injuredrabbit likes this.
  4. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

5. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

Thank you both for your info! I am so stressed out and I know that that's bad for both of us.
    I have another question which is probably stupid: is there a way to copy this question and paste it to the vetsulin page, or a way to post in two different locations simultaneously? Or do I have to create an entirely new post?
    Thank you again.

6. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Only way I know of is to open a new window, go to the Vetsulin board - upper... right corner I think, new post? Then copy and paste your question there to post. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.