Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AshleyG, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshleyG

AshleyG New Member

Hi everyone,

My cat Beckham was diagnosed last Monday. It's been an interesting couple of days. He's 5 years old, 14 pounds, and still acts crazy despite the diabetes. He's had increased drinking and urinating but other than that doesn't have any symptoms.

I previously worked as a vet tech while I was in college for a couple years so I have some understanding about diabetes. I took Beckham to a new vet but I am debating taking him elsewhere. This vet didn't seem as familiar with feline diabetes as I would like. I asked about home BG monitoring and about switching from hard food to low carb wet food. He didn't think either were necessary or helpful. He prescribed Vetsulin, 3 units twice a day. I've talked to friends that are in the veterinary medicine field and I've been told that 3 units is very high to start a newly diagnosed cat on. I have started monitoring Beckham's glucose levels and I'm planning on running a BG curve tomorrow. This website has been such a great resource and has definitely been a huge help in just the couple days since I found it. You guys are amazing!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Ashley! Your instincts are right on - 3 units is a very (too)high dose for a newly diagnosed Kitty, low carb canned food is the way to go and home testing of BG is essential to know how the insulin is working. Post any other questions you have in the main health forum so that more people see them.

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ashley. There is a Vetsulin forum, if you haven't found it. That would be the best place to discuss dosing and other insulin based topics with other people with more experience.

4. AshleyG

AshleyG New Member

Thank you both for the welcome!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.