Newbie in desperate need of advice pls

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dbg, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbg

dbg New Member

Hello everybody, I am in the uk and have 5 cats one of which is diabetic.

Hope you guys can help me as I am losing faith in my vet. Will try not to ramble too much!

My lovely Nimbus cat has been diabetic for 4 years. When first diagnosed he was put on PZI and i was told to feed dry kitten food. His dose gradually went up to 6 units a day and was stable for a time. He then had a fructosimine test that was very high to his dose was upped to 7 units. One evening Nimbus looked drunk, convinced this was a hypo I took appropriate action and went back to vet. Vet convinced it wasnt but we stopped insulin for a couple of days and started caninsulin at 1 unit twice a day. Has had similar episodes which vet now says must be dodgy hips and still having very high fructosimine tests so now up to 3 units twice a day. As vet suggested cat may be insulin resistant I have started googling and discovered to my horror I have been feeding my cat incorrectly and that I could home test. So now gradually switching to wet food. When he had a wobble the other day I used my mums glucometer and measured Nimbus blood and it said "low blood sugar below 1.1" I gave him syrup straight away and phoned vet. Vet still says that not somogyi swing or hypo and that the meter would not have been accurate. When I tested later that evening it had gone up to 26.6. Vet did say to lower to two units twice a day and have him in for a glucose curve. I want to switch my cat to wet food as I am sure that is the main problem but dont know what to do about insulin. What would you all do? Thanks in advance.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.