Newbie-Jack diagnosed yesterday with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat-tainJackSparrow, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat-tainJackSparrow

Cat-tainJackSparrow Member

Hello all! My name is Angela. I am mommy to Jack 15 yrs, Larry 10 yrs and Freddie 3 yrs. Found out yesterday my poor baby Jack is diabetic. 459 mg/dL was his glucose. Prescribed Lantus starting out at 2 units twice a day. The MD also heard a heart murmur but thinks it might be because of the diabetes so after it's under control shes going to check it out again. So as soon as I found out I started my research on what was best for him. I bought a PetTest glucose meter kit yesterday. Started feeding him Friskies Paté wet food. After buying the friskies I remember reading somewhere that I shouldnt feed him the Mixed grill favor..is that correct? I downloaded an app to monitor everything related to his diabetes. Is there anything I'm missing or you could recommend? Thank you!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, Angela and Jack, Larry and Freddie. Congratulations on your research so far that led you to getting a glucose meter kit. Changing the diet will lower the BG and you need to be testing to see how that is affecting him. You may want to check with the senior members in the Lantus forum about the starting dose of 2 units. I believe the usual starting dose is 1 unit 2 x a day at 12 hour intervals. If you are changing diet it's critical that you are testing so that you don't experience a hypo event.
    I suggest you make a signature, that's Jack's pertinent info that displays with each post: SIGNATURE
    Next, get the spreadsheet going, this is a place to record all insulin injection and BG data, and is linked to the signature. Then members can see the data instantly and make recommendations on request. SPREADSHEET
    Post questions and concerns in the Main Forum, more members to see and respond. This Welcome forum is just for introductions and not all members have the chance to check here as often.
    We can help with food, testing, learning about the insulin, injections and other health concerns.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Get the testing down before changing the food. A change in food alone will drop his blood sugar significantly.

Normally it's suggested to start at .5 units if using wet food, 1 unit if dry food is involved, hold that dose for 7 days unless it drops below 90 on pet meter.

Here are the 2 methods of management used here, look them over and see if you prefer one.

SLGS.

TR

There is a lot to learn, it can be overwhelming to say the least. We have all been here, some more than once. But we are here, to help you, you are not alone. We have tips for cost saving, ideas for the finicky eater, wonderful ideas when you the "bean" need a pick me up. FDMB has your back and is always here for you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  4. Cat-tainJackSparrow

5. Cat-tainJackSparrow

Where can go I to find out what all the abbreviations mean?

6. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.