Newbie - Just saying HI

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by toadflaxbex, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toadflaxbex

toadflaxbex Member

Hi there, I am from the UK and about 2 months ago my little man was diagnosed with diabetes after we noticed him drinking alot. Our dose is quite high atm but this wasn't a quick chuck him on this does decision!

My vet is really quite good and does seem to be really up on what he is talking about when it comes to diabetes, but still wanted to tell you my story as you may be able to help in lowering the dose.

My vet is checking Toadflax's blood every two weeks and his urine, sending his blood off for a 2 week test (I can't remember what its called, but he isn't just checking what he sees on that day)

So anyway, he went in for his blood test about 2 months ago and the vet checked it at the surgery and said that it looked like he had diabetes, but to get a more accurate result he was sending off for this 2 week test (apparently it sees what his blood/kidneys etc have been doing over a two week period) sounds complicated!
    The results came back and confirmed the diabetes. The vet had Toadflax in for 2 days to start him on the insulin (caninsulin) to see how much was needed etc. Anyway after 2 days it was decided to start him on 2 units twice a day and see how he went from there and to take him back after 3/4 weeks for another check up. I noticed a drop in weight, we took him back and he had lost around 1kg since he was weighed in November so lost 1kg in around 6 months which isn't like him at all, I didn't think I'd see the day he was at a normal weight! he has been over weight for a long time, not Obese overweight but around 1kg over, which we were controlling. Anyway, the vet advised to up his food, as he was becoming close to going underweight. We did his bloods and glucose was still high so advised to up to 3 units twice a day.
    This was going OK but then noticed he was weeing a lot, in the house too not using his litter tray all the time, it was as if he just couldn't make it in time. So we put a litter tray in the spot he was weeing and noticed that it was full in a day, soaked. Vet asked us to get a urine sample, which we did, to check for infection. No infection but still high glucose, so we have now upped to 4units twice a day. I have read (on this site) that that is high of the normal range, so I am hoping on the next check up it doesn't have to be upped. He does seem to be brighter in his self now actually. Is coming for cuddles, which he wasn't doing as much, spending time with us. Before he was staying out of our way. He still seems skinny, so upping of his food doesn't look to have made a huge difference. (He was on half a tin of felix a day, we've upped him to a tin) He has about half a handful of dry too, (wondering if to knock that out). This has been the norm.

We are going back to vet tomorrow for another blood test. I'm going to ask about home testing. Luckily we are insured so all of this is being paid for, so the vet has been really thorough! I can't fault my vet AT ALL he's been so good and really monitored him. I'm just hoping to see a drop in that glucose tomorrow. *fingers crossed

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there, I don't think we saw your name here but Welcome! i would like to move your post over to 'health' as that is where many more folks will see it and that is your good starting point....so here i attempt to do that and if it does'nt show up there i'll ask either a moderator to do it or you can intro yourself again :?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yikes, late to the party i see. you are already well established over in health!

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi, have answered in health.
    The good thing about cross posting is that your post won't get buried quick here (you can see how slow it is! :lol: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.