"Newbie" - My Boy Was Just Diagnose Tuesday..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mimmo, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimmo

mimmo New Member

Hi
    First I want to say thank you for having a place for me to turn for a wealth of info.. It's so very helpful!

My Mimmo (12yr old male) has just gotten diagnosed with feline diabetes this week. For the past few weeks he was having accidents outside his bathroom, eating/drinking like crazy, wasn't retracting his back nails and was having trouble walking - he was down on his hocks (I was calling them his elbows until today.. Thanks Again FDMB info).. I had been crying my eyes out and unable to sleep because I was thinking that he was going to die.. So we rushed Mimmo to the vet because I couldn't stand to see him suffer.. Mimmo is an extremely important part of my life. I became disabled 10yrs ago and Mimmo has helped me through a lot. At the vet I was feeling devastated, I was so sad for him, but after the vet did some blood work and told me it was Diabetes and treatable, it was like a new life was given to my little man! Mimmo is now on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day and looks to be much much happier! Thank Goodness!!
    The vet told me his BG was 438 and that I caused it by feeding him dry food as his main diet. She made me feel terrible, saying the only food he should've been eating is the one she sells at her office (which is $50 for 7 cans)! I was then told that he needed to have a battery of other tests done to be sure it was Diabetes, by the time it was all said and done (as an outpatient) we spent $1452.69 between having an EKG, 2 Sonograms and paying $52.00 for his first (1 unit) injection of insulin.. I was called the following day and told that I got lucky because everything else came back normal (except for the BG of 438) Does this sound a bit extreme? I was told that this vet was the best in my area (Brooklyn, NY), but I really don't feel comfortable with them or the way they speak to me, so I asked if I can have a copy of Mimmo's medical records, which I having no problem paying for, but was told they don't release that information and that if I was going to use another vet, the tests would have to be done all over again.. I just feel Mimmo deserves better.. Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks for reading..
    Danielle & Mimmo

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board!

Diabetes is definately treatable and depending how diligent you are with the 4 key things, you have a good chance of getting him into remission!!

84% of cats can go into remission within 6 months with 4 keys:

1 - A good insulin - Lantus is a great choice and you are on a good starting dose

2 - A low carb wet canned diet - no more dry. Diabetic cats need food with less than 10%calories from carbs... such as fanct feast classic pates, friskies pates or wellness grain free. You do not need the vets food - tell them the cat wont eat it and/or you cant afford it ;)

3 - Home testing - this is very important! With a food change his blood sugar will drop and he may need less insulin so you need to test to watch for this. Also as he approaches remission his insulin needs will drop - and you wont know this without testing. You need to test to make sure he doesnt drop too low, or to be able to know if you need to decrease or increase the dose. And home testing saves you money - no need for expensive vet curves!

4. Doing ALL the above 3! Some people do 1 and 2 only.. but the cat never gets regulated or has a hypo so its important to do all 3!

Since you have the insulin I think you are good to go - do you have a walmart nearby so I can recommend a test meter etc? I can also provide more food suggestions
    Wendy

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. I take issue with the statement "84% of cats go into remission within 6 months with 4 keys:"
    I have had a total of twelve diabetic cats and none have went into remission.

A agree with all of the other information provided by Wendy.

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

5. mimmo

mimmo New Member

Thanks for your fast replies! I wish we had a Walmart or a Target nearby, but unfortunately we don't.... I just went to the most inexpensive pharmacy I could find in the area and the Lantus cost $155 and a box of u-100 syringes were $50 for 60... But Mimmo needs it so what choice do I have..
    84% or 0% remission, as long as Mimmo is content, I'm ok with putting my all into helping him feel well again.. Will he ever walk back on his feet again? Is it painful for him down on his hocks?
    Should I have concerns with this vet or is this the norm?
    Thanks Again
    Danielle & Mimmo

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See if you can use the Lantus Savings Card program. And if you get the insulin pens, rather than a vial, there is less waste as you only work with 3 mL at a time (300 units) instead of a vial of 10 mL (1,000 units). You'll still need the U-100 syringes to draw out of the rubber stopper on the end. Check the prices at our shopping partner ADW (link above at top of page). Refrigerated on a non-moving shelf, the insulin can last 6 months.

When you get the glucose regulated, he may gradually return to normal walking. Methylcobalamin, a specific form of Vitamin B-12, is a helpful supplement for diabetic neuropathy - the walking on the hocks. More info on it here, at Jasper's Story You want a form which has no sweeteners in it at all. (no xylitol, sugar, etc)

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Danielle and your sugardude Mimmo to the FDMB, the best little message board in the universe to help you learn how to take care of your diabetic cat.

As you have learned from your vet, diabetes is a very treatable disease and cats can live a long life with diabetes. Yes, some cats are able to become controlled with diet, but not all of them. It's unknown which cats will be able to gain remission and which ones will not.

What we want to do for now, is to get Mimmo feeling his best.

The problem with his back legs sounds like diabetic neuropathy. Yes, it can get better. My foster cat Wink had severe neuropathy when he came to live with me. Couldn't walk more than 3-5 steps without stopping to rest, walking fully on his hocks, not able to jump, couldn't play or run. After getting his diabetes under regulation, and giving him a form of B-12 called methylcobalamin, he now walks, runs, jumps and plays with the best of them.

You want either a pill of the methylcobalamin that you can mix into his food or a liquid form that you can inject. I got my liquid methylcobalamin mail order from Wedgewood Pharmacy. Some people get the pills such as Zobaline. You need a pill or liquid that has no sugars in it because the sugars will keep his BG (blood glucose) levels higher. (BJM was faster at posting than I was!)

Don't worry about the past and feeding dry food. Most of us have done that.

I feed my 3 cats including the diabetic cat, Fancy Feast classic pate style and Friskies pate style canned foods. Lower cost than those foods you vet is trying to sell you, available in lots of flavors to please those finicky feline palates and widely available at many stores, not just your vet.

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

The lantus will last you six month if you keep it in the fridge so the price tag isnt so bad when you think of it that way. .. and like i said, ideally/hopefully he will be in remission before then! and the links above to ADW or walmart provided should help too - a bit cheaper maybe.

9. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

Yes, this is extreme and ridiculous. Find a new vet and demand copies of the records. You have a LEGAL right to a copy of your cat's medical records. The only thing they may do is charge you a reasonable fee for printing/paper. They work for you, not the other way around. You paid them for a service and part of that service is the medical records. Threaten them with legal action if they refuse because they don't have any legal grounds to stand on.

10. Lynn and Radar

Lynn and Radar New Member

Hi Danielle and Mimmo and welcome to the FDMB

Take a look at the following link, section 6714. It appears that in the state of New York you are entitled to your veterinary records.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/vetmed/article135.htm

Many of us have traveled this journey and done it for many happy, healthy years, using the resources of the FDMB and the generous people who donate their time. You and Mimmo ---- are in good hands.

Lynn and Radar(GA)

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding that link, Lynn. :D

If all else fails, walk in there when they're really crowded and say in a loud voice that you would like your cat's medical records. If they fuss about it, speak louder and demand it of them and ask them if they're trying to hide something. They should comply real quick if nothing else than to get you out of there. haha_smiley

12. mimmo

mimmo New Member

Lynn & Radar.. THANKS!!!! What helpful information!! The Vet made me feel like I was asking for the keys to her house!! Now at least I can be armed with the information and LAWS regarding Mimmo's health especially now with a FD diagnoses.. In 12yrs he never had health issues so the trips to the vet were all routine and had no reason to want a complete medical record..
    Kpassa you're too funny!! Trust that your advice is my husband's next step.. Being the Loud Italian family from Brooklyn, NY that we are, we certainly aren't shy!! LOL!! :lol:

13. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes with the vet and if you have any other questions in the meantime.

My "advice" comes from being raised in a loud Sicilian family from Newark. ;-) :lol:

14. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I have 2 plastic files w/ dividers for my girls. I have ALLLL of their records as I ask for a copy while I am paying my bill.
    I am on my 4th vet, and some of them act as if I want their right hand, but they will do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.