Newbie needing help please - need to know what to do in the next 15 mins or so - by 7.45pm/8pm PST

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sugarpegger, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugarpegger

Sugarpegger New Member

Hi there - I am new to this - my lovely 13 year old cat Jake was diagnosed this past Friday with a glucose level of 600. This after a pancreatitis diagnosis 2 weeks ago for which he is on cerenia and also an appetite stimulant.

I have been giving him insulin injections - it is called Lantus U-100 3ml and I am only giving 1 unit twice a day. I have done this exactly as instructed since Friday. 7.45am and pm. Friday he wolfed down his new diabetic food (yey) and Saturday he ate some too. But yesterday he hardly at that much and today he has hardly eaten at all. I gave him an insulin shot this am (it is a very small dose) - should I give it tonight? Help.

I am due to go to the vets again in 10 days so they can see what 10 days of insulin does to his sugar levels. I do not have a home meter - it is coming in the mail but not here yet. Not sure what to do. He is ok, but very tired and has spent most of the day in the basket. Ugh.

Any help so much appreciated.

Lucy

2. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Giving you a bump up! Sorry you have not had help yet if you are still waiting..

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy. I'm rather new here, I don't know anything about pancreatitis, but I can give you my experience a little over a month ago when my cat Asia was diagnosed. My vet also told me to give Lantus 1 unit twice a day (without testing). That really didn't sit right with me at all because how can you give a cat insulin when you don't even know what their number is? How would/could you avoid a hypoglycemic situation? I ordered a meter right away (and gave blind shots for a couple of days before the meter arrived). I felt very lucky that nothing went wrong before the meter arrived, and outwardly Asia showed no sign of any problems, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have been hypoglycemic.

If Jake is acting withdrawn and not eating, if it were my cat, I would not be giving insulin until I figured out what was happening. Does your vet have an after hours answering service and you can call and explain what's going on and see what they think? Can you go to a store like Walmart and buy an inexpensive human meter to test him and see what's going on? Cats are just so good at hiding when things are bad, that when they are letting you know it's bad, that's a cause for concern.

I'm sure others will chime in soon or tomorrow and offer lots of great info on food and testing and all that good stuff, but just wanted to give you a little bit of feedback until then.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again!
    It’s great that you found this board and that you are going to do home testing. That is the first best thing you can do for Jake! Welcome!
    There are some very experienced folks here who are an amazing source of support. It will be easier to help answer questions when you have some testing data.
    First thing will be to get a spreadsheet set up to log your test results. I am going to tag
    @Marje and Gracie , she helps many of us set up our spreadsheets. It is easy to use. It helps those who are going to try to help see how Jake responds to the insulin.
    Again, welcome!
    What did you do this evening? Did you give him insulin?

5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy, no immediate advice from me. We were new here in July/Aug. best advice is learn to navigate the website, read the stickys at the front of the forum, the other forums also. Plan on learning how to do your blood glucose tests at home and above all don't panic. Jake can handle high numbers for a bit till you get accustomed to drawing blood and giving insulin. There may be lots at play in his number and you will get it sorted out . You have found the best place . Peace and good luck. Ed.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. While you are out getting a human meter and strips so you can test sooner (in the US, Walmart Relion Confirm or Micro need just small blood drops and are economical strip costs), be sure to pick up a package of Ketostix. You want to start testing his urine for ketones ASAP, especially when he is in high numbers, not eating much and possibly lethargic.

7. Sugarpegger

Sugarpegger New Member

thank you !!!

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Lucy, breathe. You can do this. Smokey was diabetic 6 yrs when he got pancreatitis. Also had heart disease, asthma. He was 18 1/2 when he crossed. It's important to start home testing as soon as you get your meter. Equally important is to keep him eating because of the pancreatitis and the diabetes so he can have his insulin. Hopefully you have meds for the pancreatitis. There is a list of low carb foods on this site. On my kindle so I can't link it. There is so much info here and people who have and are managing the same thing and even more. Ask your questions, read the info help is a click away.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Lucy

I can do a Spreadsheet for you if you’ll send me at private message. Just click on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”. I just need some info from you.

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy, and welcome to Lantus & Levemir Land, the nicest place you never wanted to be.

I would like to second Wendy's recommendation to get some ketostix. DKA is a very serious condition and can come on quickly. Testing is fairly easy and could save your kitty's life. You should be able to find some at Walmart or any drug store.

I notice you said your meter is coming in the mail. Is it, by any chance, an Alpha Trak? You will find that most people here use human meters, because the strips are MUCH less expensive. Many vets insist that ATs are better, but honestly, that isn't the case. There is a slight difference in the numbers you get, but as long as you are aware of what the safe ranges are for your meter, you can use whichever you prefer. The guidelines on this site are written with the assumption you are using a human meter, so you'll need to keep that in mind when comparing numbers if you go with an Alpha Trak, and the spreadsheet Marje sets up for you will need to be geared to either a human or pet meter, so she'll need to know which you are using.

There is a lot of great information in the stickies at the top of the L&L page, so read as much as you can, and ask lots of questions. We were all new to this once, too, and we understand how overwhelming it all is, especially when you are so worried about your precious baby. You aren't alone. :bighug:

Here is a link to a post we put together to help new members get comfortable with the site: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/updated-tips-for-new-members.173572/. I hope you find it useful.

11. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:To you and Jake , Lucy. The wonderful people on this board will advise and walk with you thru this . You are in the BEST hands ! Many prayers to you and Jake :)

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy and welcome to FDMB. So glad you have begun Lantus. First and most important thing is to be testing at home. I understand you don't have your meter yet so you must be worried. Without any numbers it's really hard to know whether or not to give insulin. Today is day 5 for you and Jake and there are a number of things that could be going on. Some like to have the vet's do the curves ad testing but to be honest most cats stress out so much at the vet that the numbers likely aren't accurate.

As Wendy and Tricia mentioned, the ketostix are important. You should be able to purchase those at the local drugstore.

I would hold off on giving insulin this evening if he still isn't eating.

Is there a way you can hand feed him? How is he acting otherwise? Is he hiding? Is he pacing? Is his head hanging low? There is also a possibility he is hypoglycemic (glucose is very low) Is the diabetic food wet food or a prescription dry kibble? We all highly recommend a hi protein low carb wet food diet. It's amazing what a diet can do to help control diabetes. I apologize if everyone has already asked these things. I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies.

Here are some helpful links (not meant to scare you but to inform you - knowledge is power) :bighug:
    How low is too low? -- http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-low-is-too-low.142105/
    How to treat hypos -- http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.