?? newbie of feline diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LisaMarie & Stewie, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaMarie & Stewie

LisaMarie & Stewie New Member

My Kitty:cat: just got diagnosed with diabetes on Friday 06/21. His glucose was over 500. :(He has a new prescription diet and is on insulin twice a day. He is also scheduled to have a glucose curve in a week in half. I have a question if anyone has any suggestions I'm all about it.
    Wondering if it's OK if I could pre-dose the syringes for the long weekend Friday through Monday. I have someone that's a little nervous on giving the correct dose.
    If I keep them in the fridge needle up and then roll the syringe before administering is Ok?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! What type of insulin are you using? I would not draw up the doses ahead of time. There is a lubricant in the syringe that could cause an issue if the insulin sets in it too long. Maybe you could draw up an example syringe, possibly even with colored water, that the other person can use as their guide.

There are a couple of very significant things you will see talked about here often. 1) Diet is VERY important. Though vets like to tell people to use 'prescription' diets, they are usually not the best option. You want a high-protein, low-carb wet food. The site catinfo.org has all the info you could ever want about feline nutrition. There is also a cat food database that is very helpful when looking for foods to use. There is a link to it in my signature below. 2) Home glucose testing is also VERY important. It allows you to know that it is safe to give the planned insulin, and it gives you the data needed to determine whether an insulin dose is working well or if it needs to be adjusted. Home test results are usually much more accurate than results in the vet's office since those can be impacted by the cat's stress. Also, if you test at home, you will save money due to not having to go to the vet regularly and have them do tests for you.

It would be helpful if you would set up a signature that provides basic info like date of diagnosis, age, type of insulin, etc so that you will not be asked those things every time you post.

LisaMarie & Stewie likes this.
  3. LisaMarie & Stewie

I'm using pro zinc insulin. I will do a test syringe to see what it looks like. Thank you so much for your help.

4. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Welcome to the Group LisaMarie, I just found out myself a month ago and this forum has been a god sent of information and expert advice.

I know its easy to feel overwhelmed, but each day gets easier for both you and your kittie.

I am not sure on pre-dosing syringes, but my gut says no but I would love to know the answer myself.

1. What Insulin are you using?
    2. I suggest and so will everyone that you start taking your own glucose readings, at minimum it should be done before every meal to avoid over dosing your kittie.
    3. Most of us use Human readers as they are cheaper and the test strips are cheaper. The Walmart Relion "Confirm" (uses a smaller blood sample than Prime) is what a lot of us use. If your cat is ever under 200 do not give them their dose (no food for 2 hours before glucose testing, usually fed 10 minutes before insulin shot)
    4. I STRONGLY suggest you start a Glucose Chart with your reading once you get a meter - it is difficult to answer questions without a spreadsheet - read here on how to create a SpreadSheet, you can see mine in my signature below (also helps to put details in your signature, like type of insulin in use, dosage, age of cat, when diagnosed, weight of cat, etc - here is the direction on starting your own chart - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    5. It is generally its suggested to feed your cat Fancy Feast "Classic" or Friskies Pate' as both are low carbs, high protein. Cat food manufactures are sometimes hard to get information from, and some information may be out dated and inaccurate - but I personally found this Database great for looking up different brands and getting the information I needed http://catinfo.org/chart/index.php
    Hope this is helpful without being overwhelming.

All the Best, Bryan & Princess

5. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

LOL - at least we both are on the same page of advice. (-: You beat me to it - darn interrupting phone call.

6. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

LisaMarie,

You may want to post up on the ProZinc Insulin section on pre-dosing - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/. Personally I would wait no matter what until you have established a good track record of tests (a couple of weeks or more), so you personally can see if predosing had any effects.

7. LisaMarie & Stewie

Thank you all for your comments.
    I'm going to wait until I get all my tests results in the next couple of weeks to be for sure.
    Again thank you all! It's great to have this group to help with info when needed!!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

And please do consider testing at home, is the only way to know how he's doing and also the only way to keep him safe. Shooting insulin without knowing what his blood glucose is very dangerous, human doctors would never allow it on a person it should be the same for out cats

9. LisaMarie & Stewie

What kind do you recommend on a glucose machine?

10. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Many of us here use Walmart's Relion "Confirm" including myself (cheapest test strips - I get mine on eBay) it uses .3 vs. .5 of a blood sample as the Relion "Prime" does.
    1. You will need the meter $15 https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Confirm-Blood-Glucose-Monitor-Blue/13863716
    2. Test Strips for the Confirm - $36 for 100 ($28 on eBay) https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Confirm-Micro-Blood-Glucose-Test-Strips-100-Ct/16795579
    3. Lancets - about $3 for 200 (you don't need the device it goes in) - https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-30-Gauge-Ultra-Thin-Lancets-200-Ct/43184842
    I suggest watching a few "How To's" on youtube, I was told not to hit the vein (painful to your cat) but go between the edge and vein. I too strongly suggest doing testing before every shot, and removing food 2 hours before testing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

In a response from Bryan "Most of us use Human readers as they are cheaper and the test strips are cheaper. The Walmart Relion "Confirm" (uses a smaller blood sample than Prime) is what a lot of us use." I use this meter, the strips are less expensive and are readily available, there are 24 hour Walmart stores in my area. You can use this link for a Consumer Reports comparison if you like: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...glucose-meter-ratings-recommendations.156388/

12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I'm not in the US so not much help there ( I use the Accu Check Active), I think you should get one that uses the tiniest amout of blood 0.3 and that the strips are easily available

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I use contour next which I find great. Buy strips on amazon.

14. LisaMarie & Stewie

thanks this is helpful!!!!

15. D.T.

D.T. New Member

Hello,

My cat also has been diagnosed a few months ago.... the doc said Prozinc 2 times a day 7am / 7pm. they did not tell us to take blood sugar readings but they took her in couple of times to adjust the dosage from 1ml at start now she is at 5ml... unfortunately at 5ml per shot she is still showing bit of symptoms... peeing secluded in corner for parts of day etc.....

few questions:
    1. Prozinc is very expensive $130 / bottle at Costco... is there an alternative medicine that is as good? What is best place to buy it Walmart etc...? Walmart doc told me other cat people use other meds sometimes human that is as low as 30$ / bottle...

2. you guys mentioned testing sugar important.... i wonder why my vet did not tell me to do this ....

Thanks

16. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. You may want to start your own, new thread. That would probably get more attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.