Newbie on Humulin N for three days now has watery eyes & nose as of today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon&Tabitha (TX), Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon&Tabitha (TX)

Sharon&Tabitha (TX) Member

I volunteer at a small shelter and Sherry just took in a cat, Taffy, that has now been diagnosed with diabetes. Three days ago she started injections of Humulin N @ 2 units twice a day. She also changed her food to the Royal Canon diabetic dry food. Not yet home testing.

Question: As of this afternoon Taffy has very watery eyes and nose. Is this a side effect of the insulin?

Since there had been a change in Taffy's health I told her, if I were her, I would do a bleed test before I even thought about giving her another injection. Sherry was sure if she should take Taffy to the ER tonight.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? Sherry has worked with many cats and she doesn't think it is an infection. At least not yet.

P.S. Tabitha is doing great - see spreadsheet

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Not likely to be the insulin.
    It is more likely the stress from being in the shelter has triggered a feline herpes virus flare up. Many cats have it and suppress it when not under stress.
    Or the cat may have some other URI, such as Bartonella.

Note: Humulin N is a very harsh insulin. Here is a protocol for using it safely which you may want to share with her. Feed 30 minutes before injecting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.