Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rozuna, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozuna

rozuna New Member

Tigger was diagnosed last week with diabetes. He has not eaten for a week and having to force feed him. He does drink water on his own. He is on Novolin N and haven't seen that insulin on this site. He still confines himself to one area and doesn't do anything but lay down. What else can I do?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A few caretakers use N/NPH insulin. It is not the best since it only lasts about 8-10 hours.
    How much N are you giving.
    What is Tigger's blood glucose reading before each shot and at about 5 hours after the shot?
    Most of use here test our cat's BG before each shot and periodically between each shot using a human meter.
    Have you tested Tigger's urine for ketones? They are bade and can come with not eating enough and high BGs
    What does your vet say?
    There are appetite stimulates you can gt fro your vet.
    How is Tigger's weight doing?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here is our guide for using N/NPH insulin most effectively. Note that with this type of insulin, it is advised you test, feed, wait 30 minutes, then inject the insulin, to help buffer the fast drop in glucose caused by this type of insulin.

4. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hello Rozuna. I am pretty much a newbie myself. My baby, Tucker was diagnosed in late June. I have been using the Novolin too. I am now preparing to switch. I have been home testing Tucker since June 27. I would love to talk with you about anything you need to talk about. Everyone here are wonderful, caring people who will help you. No one wants to beat you up, so please don't be afraid to ask for help, no matter what. We have all been there.
    If people ask questions they are not trying to shame anything you are doing. They just want as much info as they can get so they can accurately help you and your baby. Please give us a chance and Tigger too!
    Good Morning Rozuna :coffee: How are you and Tigger doing? I was hoping to see you post as I have been wondering about you. I wanted to ask you something about the Novolin, if you would have the time. ? I hope things are improving for you. If not, there are people here to help you. Brenda.

5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

CJ was on Novolin briefly. The Novolin would wear off after about 6-8 hours. She didn't have a loss of appetite, though. Tigger's refusal to eat concerns me. Have you addressed this with the vet? I had no idea till I was home testing that CJ's glucose levels were too low. She went into a hypo episode. I avoided an expensive trip to the vet with home testing and getting guidance here.

Not many cats do well on Novolin. It is short acting, can be harsh on the cat and wears off quickly so your cat is not getting the full benefit of a longer lasting insulin such as Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hi Rozuna! I wanted to tell you something. When Tucker was diagnosed, I didn't know jack about insulin. Times are are tough at the moment financially, due to a surgery I had to have that kept me from working. Then my hours got cut at my other job. Consequently, I opted for the cheaper insulin, Novolin, because I had to. I wanted to do something to begin helping Tucker at least. I did what I was ABLE to do. 1) some type of insulin control 2) changed food to low carb Fancy Feast wet 3) began to TRY home testing. Recently my circumstances changed and I was able to acquire some better insulin, ProZinc. I'm grateful and hoping for a miracle.
    Rozuna, you are already doing what many folks won't. You didn't put your Tigger "down", you committed to try.
    And you came here. Two big things. These things tell me what a good person you must be, like so many people here.
    Please let us hear from you. I'm worried you may be going through an emergency and are blaming yourself needlessly.
    Wishing you all the best. Brenda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.