Newbie-Seeking support and welcome, Maxter

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by maxter, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxter

maxter New Member

Hi i am completely new to this. our cat Tigger was taken ill about 1 year ago. He was in the vets for 1 week. Diagnosed with liver failure and on deaths door. After several curves tests(which more than doubled our insurance max) he was diagnosed with melotis diabetes. We have since gave him caninsulan for 3 months(3 units per day) which after we were told it had dissappeared. Apparently, this is the type of diabetes it is and can reocurr. it has just came back again and he is drinking n peeing a lot. now up to 6 units a day. any ideas? sorry, he's on hills science plan wet n dry food

2. weeble

weeble Member

Re: Newbie-Seeking support

Maxter--I sent you a private message. This is Kahn's old thread and I don't think you're going to get any responses to your questions here. You should start a new thread in the Health Forum where people will be able to see your posting.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

MAXTER

Hi,

you've posted on someone else's thread. Not a problem but the main reason why no-one has picked up your post.
    What you need to do is look at the top of this forum and all the messages and you'll see a box on the left hand side 'New topic'. Click on that and you can start your own thread.
    Tigger, newbie advice on dose-something like that.

Are you hometesting?
    It is the one thing that is going to help you have a chance of getting Tigger back into remission.
    6U is highish dose-assume 3u am and 3u pm?

You need to ditch the Science Hills dry-dry is no good for diabetic kitties. You want low carb wet food only. However this can also have a significant impact on how much insulin they need, henece why you need to be hometesting as dry can raise bg's and that's why he's needing the 3u.Take away the dry and bg's are much lower. Then the 3u can drop his bg's too low and you have a hypo.

I'l go and find Janet and Binky's foodchart for you.
    A lot of people buy a Relion glucometer as it is cheap and so are the strips.Curves at the vet don't really tell a very good story as kitty usually stressed and bg can raise significantly because of this.You need to know what the insulin is doing and when.

Also be good if you post in Health forum as this one is so quiet these days (only me a few other folks intermittently check it) as the insulins here really are outdated and there's much better ones available.

Are you guys somewhere in Europe?(if so the relion meter won't mean anything)
    If you can give us a bit more info I'm sure e can help you have another crack at remission. :mrgreen:

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Re: Newbie-Seeking support

Hi and welcome Maxter. I have moved your posts into a separate thread of your own here, but I also really encourage you to post on health where many more eyes will be there with info for you.

Hang in there.. read as much as you can to begin with. Lots of stickies to get you started on the top of this page.
    Knowledge is real power with this as it managed so much at home.
    Kimmee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.