Newbie-Seeking support

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Pam and Layla, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi and welcome to the FDMB. I think it is great you are being proactive in learning to treat Khan's diabetes. Hometesting is easy to do and is certainly less traumatic than having a vein draw at the vet's office all day.

Here's a great video showing how to test your cat's ears.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

When you decide which meter you want to purchase, realize that the big cost is the price of the test strips. If you are in the U.S., you can find a cheaper meter/strips at Walmart with their Relion brand. I know many here use it and are happy.

I use the One Touch Ultra. The strips are too pricey for me to buy at the store so I usually buy on ebay. My back-up meter is a TrueTrak - store brand at Walgreen's or CVS, etc., and the strips are cheaper than the OTU over the counter.

If you aren't in the U.S. then we will need to find someone from your area to weigh-in on meters, but generally, one that is good for humans is what most here use.

Also, regarding diet, you might read Dr. Lisa's site to get some good info on feline nutrition.
    http://catinfo.org/

I hope this helps get you started. Ask questions and snoop around the FAQ and health articles to learn more about treating diabetes.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi and wecome to FDMB :mrgreen:

Could you give us some more information on Khan?

When did you notice something was wrong?
    How long since his diagnosis?
    How long on insulin?
    What are his food allergies?
    How is his behaviour? (preening, playful?)
    Glad to see Khan isn't on a high dose of Humulin. Does your vet seem very knowledgeable about diabetes?

And yes as Pam says, let us know which country your in and we can help with specific glucometers (different between USA and Europe for example)

Ask away! :mrgreen:

3. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE KIND AND THOUGHTFUL RESPONSES. I am located in central Wisconsin. Khan was diagnosised end of May 2010. He has had 3-5 glucose curves and has been hospitalized 2 times. I really want to do what is right and so far the cost has been high. Since I have a 3 yr old toddler and 4 senior cats and a 5th cat that is 6 1/2 and full of herself! I want to do what is right along with cost effective. I believe in doing what is best not on my pocket book but by the animal. My vet has allowed me to make payments so I am very thankful for that. To date I owe nothing to the vet.
    I would love to find someone in the appleton, Wisconsin area that could help me with home monitoring or at least help for the first few times and would help without the cost being so high.

KHAN-
    How long on insulin?How long since his diagnosis?
    Diagnosised end of May 2010, began Insulin June 6th since the original insulin wasn't in stock at ANY WALGREENS!! and I was told it was discontinued-I do not know which brand that was. He has lost a lot of weight by then about 4 pounds when he was a 10+ pound cat!.

BACKGROUND on Steriod shot:
    This all started when he was given a steriod shot for allergies. At that time he had scratched up his face, ears, licked his belly down the inside of his legs raw. He has gotten into my cat (Wisp's) food- Instinct -rabbit Meal Formula.years prior he had ended up at the emergency animal clinic for 3 days after a shot but I was never told that was the reasoning as stupid as that sounds. I understand now that steriod shots are not the typical route to go with a feline. Working with pills is easier to regulate what is occuring. If I could afford to take him to the "cat specialty clinic" in my area I would. I really love that place however I need to be able to make payments and I'm just not sure they would.

Activity currently is less active and likes to sit in the corner or under the chair so I know things are not balanced. He doesn't walk with his tail up anymore or try to even be active with the other cats. He will come sleep right next to me at night.

What are his food allergies?
    Food currently eating: EVO Herring and Salmon- he eats it! Purina DM he would not eat.
    Allergies- unknown -but most likely it isn't grain since he broke out horribly on INSTINCT-rabbit Meal Formula. It could possibly be chicken. He did not do well on IAMS Multicat years prior but did pretty well in IAMS Preimum Protection. He did well on IAMS Response LB but prefers dry to wet food. He did well on Royal Canin prescription food: Rabbit and Pea ( I think it was rabbit or it may have been Venison). Then just in May while in the hospital and right after I had to feed him IAMS Maximum Calorie or Hills a/d. His belly is very smooth from him licking but his ears and inside and back part of his legs are finely growing hair. I just want him to gain weight and help him with the diabetes.

When did you notice something was wrong?
    I first noticed when he meowed really loud and appeared to have his back legs go out from under him. I thought he was going to have a seigure and die. This was a few weeks after a steriod shot...however he was eating IAMS Kitten in the can since he was borderline diabetic-not enough for the DVM to give him insulin.

How is his behaviour? (preening, playful?) Activity currently is less active and likes to sit in the corner or under the chair so I know things are not balanced. He doesn't walk with his tail up anymore or try to even be active with the other cats. He will come sleep right next to me at night.

Does your vet seem very knowledgeable about diabetes? Hard to know since I try to believe he is working with me. In fact I'm going over to the clinic right now to discuss home monitoring.

Any feedback I would greatly appreciate. Even if you are comfortable in calling me let me know I'll send you my email and home phone.

Thank you!! :)

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Peppercat,

I'm afraid I can't help with the hometesting as I'm in Germany.
    I've copied this thread and started a new one for you on the health board to see if there is someone from Winsconsis that can help:
    posting.php?mode=post&f=28

From what you've said, it sounds like Khan may have neuropathy. Methyl B12 has been found to be very helpful. As I haen't used it can't advise but again have asked the question (different types and you need the right one).

Would you consider (or be in a position to get) changing insulin? Humulin is forwant of a better phrase 'an outdated insulin', not really used anymore. Lantus, Levemir have had excellent results and Prozinc seems a new insulin that beans (us) speak of quite favourably. There is research on Lantus and Lev (click on the Lantus isg and read the stickies. Rand is what your looking for).These are gentler insulins that last longer in the system.

Hometesting is definitely the way forward.
    I'd also say there are better foods you coud use (commercial so cheaper than purina or science)these are on Janet and Binky's charts.http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html
    http://www.catinfo.org/
    Tend to advise against fish flavours more than once a week because of mercury level concerns. However, if Khan won't eat anything else, then this is what he has until you can persudae him otherwise :lol:

Your still in the early days and Lantus has excellent results if used within 6 months of diagnosis. No guarantee and there is no way of knowing if he has type 1 or 2, only time gives you a clue.

Please keep asking questions and would encourage you to cross post here and health (this isg is very quiet but does mean your post doesn't get buried quick)Just copy and paste to link them both.

5. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely talk to the DVM regarding the different insulins you recommended. I went and purchased a glucose meter: One touch Ultra Mini from walmart 18.88 was the cost american dollar. It comes iwth a Delica lancing Device that has a advnaced glide control system. Included: glucose meter-batteries included, one touch delica lancing device and 10 one touch delica sterile lancets, carrying case and user guide. I will go and watch the video that was suggested as well as go the link to the main posting area that you refered me to. I have not given Khan his shot since he threw up 3 times which Im not sure if it was due to getting into the other cat's food -which he may have went diectly to once I came home and let him out (stupid of me to have fed the other cat and then let Khan out). I put him in his own room and he hasn't eaten anything. At the moment he is scratching crazy at the door to get out. No food is down so I'm gong to read and get back to you if I'm able to get a reading AFTER I watch the video and read any posts.

6. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Hello from Oshkosh!

Hi Khan's mom!

It's great to see someone join our little group from so close to me. I grew up in Appleton and lived there for 13 years.

Not sure if you are going to post on Health or continue to post in this forum so I'll just answer here and see where you end up.

I can PM you my phone #; if you want to call you can. My girl Cleo was diabetic for 4 years before I lost her to liver disease so I may be able to help with some, but not all, of your questions.

Check for your messages at the top of the page under Board Index and next to Control Panel.

Hope to talk to you soon! :D

7. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

well I did it! I tested Khan for the first time using a One touch UltraMini. I had given him 1 unit of insulin about 2 hrs ago and now his reading is 252 mg/dl. I gave him another 1 unit of insulin and now I'll wait to test him again. He normally gets 1.5 units of insulin after he eats. I knew the glucose was high. Now I need to learn when is best to be testing and how often. Khan didn't even flinch.

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

CONGRATULATIONS OF THE HOME TESTING :mrgreen:

Hopefully you will have it down to a fine art in no time.

One caution though. Please don't dose insulin at different times, could set yourself up for trouble.
    252 as a preshot number isn't too bad.

Glad that you only gave 2u in total. What it means though is that your bg numbers won't be ble to give us any useful information today.
    Not to worry.

I it was me and you have another number around 250 tonight, shoot 1u.
    Get a +1
    +2
    +4
    +6

Then we can see what kind of curve you got.
    A +10 may be useful in terms of how quick his numbers go up (this insulin runs out around +10 hence higher preshot numbers than can get on other insulins)
    Then post as to whether you should stick on the 1u for a few days (and get more vampire practice in :mrgreen: )

Good luck :mrgreen:

9. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

This morning Khan was purring as he came in to sit next to me on my bed -after my alarm went off.
    7am 395 mg/dl he peed A LOT LESS (I knew since I watched him pee) then I fed him some EVO Herring and Salmon but he wasn't eating very much so I gave him a can of Friskies.. well he ate that of course! but then....
    8am 550 mg/dl and he was sitting in the corning hiding. I gave him 2 units of Humulin insulin and put away all his food.

I DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE GIVING HIM FRISKIES.. he will remain on EVO until I can figure out what other foods to give him.

I would like to ask: Is there any reason I SHOULD NOT trust the UltraTouch Mini meter?

I've been making sure I get the right amount of blood and it is taken from Khan's ear--which he doesn't even flinch! but I do warm the ear up with a warm wet wash cloth and use that for the back when poking him so I don't poke myself.

10. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Also I don't understand how fast Humulin works.. What should I be expecting? where can I go to obtain this information? Maybe I should be asking my vet to change the insulin but on what basis? I'm looking for some guidance.

Thank you.

11. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

I got your PM.

The + numbers m,ean 1hour after insulin, 3 hours after insulin etc.
    We write it as +1, +3 and amps (morning preshot, so just before you shoot the insulin) and pmps-evening preshot :mrgreen:

You can give him Fancy Feast-this is a popular food here on the board. If you look down your posts I gave the Janet and Binky food list link.

This sticky wilol give a little info on your insulin viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303
    Can also do a search under wiki- (sorry I'm about to go out door or I'd find it for you)

Your more likely to get 10 hours out of the insulin, with peak around +4 (4 hrs after giving him insulin)The jump to 550 was the food affecting bg so don't freak at that.

I would definitely change the insulin. It's outdated, much better ones on the market (Lantus, Levemir)If you have a printer, can go to Lantus isg and they have stickies with info on that you can take to your vet and discuss. Works out cheaper in the long run (get 5 3ml vials instead of 1 10ml one that you have to chuck every month.)So although initial outlay looks more, over long term lasts heck of a lot longer.
    Much easier to regulate your cat as a gebneral rule too.

I'll check back in later of you have anymore questions (probably be 2-3 hrs)
    Your doing great. Remember it';s a marathon not a sprint :mrgreen:

12. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Thank you. I checked Khan's insulin at 1pm today and it was at 385. I didn't do anything since I posted 911 on the main health blog-because I was sort of freak'n out. I don't want his numbers that high. He doesn't look like he feels well.. at least his ears aren't beet red and hot anymore. My DVM is back tomorrow so I continue testing and give him the number tomorrow along with the insulin information you directed me to.

I'm at work so I'll be back on line about 7pm central Wisconsin time.

13. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

I'll see if I can go back and work out how many hours 1pm was after shot. Good thing to do is because this board has beans (us) from all over the world on different time zones helps to say +4 (4 hours after insulin).You'll get the hang of it :D

Thought this might be of use (could take to vet too)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_in_cats
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/glargine.htm
    http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/docs/diabetesinfo/link4.pdf

Saw your 911 thread.5 hours after from what I can see.
    Don't panic, it's early days. Although high number it takes time. As Hope said you need to get more number data.
    I really hope that your vet will swap you to a longer acting insulin and sooner the better in terms of results. If you can get Lantus or Lev they would be my preference, but also I haven't exoperience of Prozinc so that obviously sways me to one of the other two :mrgreen: (they are both almost identical in action to each other).

Can you/Are you? testing for keytones? Something you need to do until kitty regulated. Can get ketodiastix from any pharmacy (just dip the sticks in pee)

It's 23.00 here for me so will be signing off soon.
    Let us know what vet says.Good luck :mrgreen:

14. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

730pm that is 6 1/2 hrs from the last reading and 13 1/2 hrs since last shot.. reading was 461! Khan is eating right now so Im hoping he will eat enough to give his shot.I plan on checking him hrly until I go to bed at 11pm so it will give me some more data to share with the DVM.

15. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

any update/numbers to share?

That 461 is the higher preshot number I've mentioned. Did you see a jump from +10 to preshot?

16. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

amps 470 (+11 hours since last shot)
    -- Fed Purina DM canned --1/2 can with a small amount of fancy feast. He ate a lot!!
    --+1 (no reading) 2u

17. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Peppercat,

can you see post in your health thread.

That 470 isn't too bad. Need to get away from the dry and get some stability (my suggestionsare in the post on your health thread)
    Not keen on the DM stuff either-not got rave reviews in general.
    Good luck :mrgreen:

18. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

I've been posting under the general HEALTH forum-- please look for updates there under "KHAN". I will be reviewing Khan's numbers today with VET and most likely switch insulin to Lantus. The switch over I have NO idea what to expect but I will learn and find out today. I'll read up here but if you know if the best link or place to go please direct me to it.

Thanks.

19. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Kimmee

Hi hope you guys are well :mrgreen:

Can't see the new thread for Maxter?
    Can you also move my 2 posts and Weebles that refer to Maxter?

Thanks

20. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi kate :) Good to see you here watching out for peeps :)

I ummmmm moved the wrong posts... ( rolls eyes at myself ) I have now deleted that thread and properly split the ones the refer to maxter, it should be right below this thread now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.