Newbie seeks help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drirish, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drirish

drirish Member

My cat started insulin yesterday, he seems better tonite but does not want to eat. Vet says if he does not eat- no insulin (his blood count was 400 before insulin) Any suggestions to make him eat- I've tried dripping sardine juice into his food- no go. Also his is on vetsulin and the FDA has an alert out on it and the company that imports it told me today they stopped importing it a year ago, anybody know about this- my vet said it is no big deal and vetsulin works best. Should I give the insulin shot tonite if he did not eat, even though he seems better after three shots of insulin?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Here is the info on vetsulin: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=311

It would be best if he would eat something. What kind of food are you feeding him? if it is wet ( which we advocate- wet lo carb) you can try heating it up in the microwave until nice and stinky. You can add tuna juice or Parmesan cheese. Another idea is to put some food on your finger and hand feed him until he will eat on his own.

3. drirish

drirish Member

feeding him purina wet food- dietetic management, dribbled some sardine juice on it. If I force feed him- how much does he have to eat to give him his insulin? And thanks for responding- very much appreciated.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

There isn't a set amount. You want something in his tummy, particularly with Vetsulin as it hits harder and faster than some of the other more popular insulins.

Are you testing his blood glucose at home?

5. drirish

drirish Member

I am not testing yet- I am still getting ahold of the situation- I think my vet is a little inexperienced as he has said nothing to me yet- but like I said- just got first insulin yesterday. At same clinic the first vet wanted me to feed him high fiber diet and she also gave me baytril for him. Second vet did a 180 and went straight to insulin. Went around today and looked at glucometers and checked out urine strips- did not buy because I really don't know how to use them. Meantime my cat, "doctor" is his name, just ate some food and I gave him his insulin. Once again thanks for your help.

6. drirish

drirish Member

Also I am concerned because he is not drinking a lot of water and has not popped (i have 2 cats) for a couple days I think, he was dehydrated and was not eating for a couple days but as of just now this makes 5 small meals in 2 days.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I am going off for the night and didn't want to leave you high and dry. Here is a user guide for vetsulin: ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox

I hope you do some reading here about hometesting and start asap. Dosing without knowing his bg levels is shooting blind. You can't be sure that he is not going too low and that is why he is not eating. Here is the info on hometesting. Be sure to check out the video.viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

Stay on awhile. The night time posters should be on soon.

8. drirish

drirish Member

To Sue and Oliver- you are good people and/or cats. Ciao.

9. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

HI. Hope your cat has been eating. I have that problem with my cat, very frustrating. I use the Freedom Lite Glucometer and I love it. It only requires the smallest amount of blood---important for me because my cat is not so cooperative. You can read up on the different meters---there are one or maybe 2 others that only need a little blood. People here also like the Walmart Relion--I believe it is the cheapest with the cheapest strips. It is the strips that become costly, not the meter. It would be good to start testing as soon as possible. It is a little overwhelming at first, but then becomes an easy routine. And it saved my cat's life. My vet didn't think home testing was important and so I was shooting blind. This board convinced me to test, and one day she was at 35 and I would have been shooting 2U (PZI)! Would have been VERY bad.Good luck, welcome, and keep asking questions!

10. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Your vet's advice is wrong. WIth levels in the 400s your cat needs insulin. Your cat also needs food or it may develop ketones or hepatic lipidosis from its body trying to metabolize fat.

I had to force feed my Squeak for days when first diagnosed so that he could get his insulin. his liver values were elevated and he was at risk for both ketones and HL. I watered down plain meat baby food and syringe fed him several times a day and I gave him an appetite stimulant called cyproheptadine/periactin. You must get on this right away, or you could have a very sick cat. You also need to start testing urine every day with ketostix to make sure that he doesn't develop ketones.

This is a very steep learning curve and you have to really stretch yourself mentally, but it does get easier. Squeak has been off of insulin for over 7 years now, so it was worth hurting my brain a bit at the time :D

Hometesting is also very very important BUT if you are overwhelmed, get the insulin and food and ketone testing going first, then the blood glucose testing.

FWIW, your vet shouldn't be prescribing vetsulin..it works best for dogs, not cats.

Jen

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I hope we hear back from you this morning. It is concerning that he is not peeing and pooping regularly. Did your vet do a frutosamine test to determine the diagnosis? Or was it just a blood glucose reading at the office? Sometimes a kitty can be very stressed at the vet and the bg levels can be super high and then be much lower at home. Usually a diabetic cat drinks alot until regulated and it is concerning if you think he is dehydrated.

So please more info. Is he eating? Is he peeing and pooping? Any other symptoms?

12. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

I agree with the other folks who have already posted. You do need to start hometesting. And usually (especially when you're new to the insulin and hometesting), no food = no shot. Once you've had a chance to get used to the hometesting and seeing how your cat reacts to this particular insulin (doing occasional BG curves at home over the course of a day), then you'll have a better idea how to handle it when your cat doesn't eat, or only eats a little -- whether you should skip a dose, or maybe just give a tiny amount so that she has a little bit of insulin in her system, etc...

Perhaps someone can post a link regarding how to do a glucose curve at home (I'd look for it, but I'm at work and I don't want to chance that I'll get caught "goofing around" for too long!)?

I personally can't offer any advice about the inappetance or the lack of litter box usage -- we've been fortunate not to have that problem so far....

As far as the Vetsulin, yes, there has been a halt in production, but there are still a very few of us who are using it as long as our supplies hold out -- mostly because our cats have been on it for a long time, and it is working pretty well for us (Motska is currently on a dose of 1 drop every day or two -- when her BG readings start to get a little high). So don't panic about the Vetsulin, but at some point you'll have to switch to something else as Vetsulin becomes unavailable. But for a newly diagnosed cat, your vet really should have prescribed something else, so you don't have to make a switch to something else later. A lot of folks here like Lantus and Levemir, but as I understand it, that would be using it "off-label", as those are manufactured primarily for use in humans, but have shown really good results in cats. (Somebody please correct me if that statement about it being "off-label" was false.) If your vet is worried about using something not made specifically for use in animals, then ask him about ProZinc or PZI -- those insulins are made for animals, and I would think that he should be okay with that. And a lot of people have really good results with those insulins as well....

(((Hugs))) and prayers

13. drirish

drirish Member

This may be the best forum I have ever seen. I thank all who have given advice. It is appreciated and I will take it to heart. I see my vet fri morn and will talk to him about vetsulin and home testing- although I think I will get better advice about home testing here. I have come to conclusion that I will have to become the doctor and my vet will be my assistant- not trying to dis him but I will be up to snuff on this a little more than him as my learning curve accelerates. My cat has finally eaten numerous times today so that is good- however I just gave him his night time insulin and I cut from 2 units to 1.25 because I thought during last shot his eyes got a little dilated but no other symptoms. He seems much better but still mildly strains trying to poop, although he does not strain like he used to and does not throw up. Hopefully vet can help figure it out. Vet told me some rationalization about using vetsulin even though I told him I talked to a vet from Itravet, the company that imports it from Germany

As far as home testing- how often do you folks test- every day before and after insulin shots, and if so how long before and after. Is there a standard for when insulin reaches its peak or is that different for every cat and for every insulin product.

I appreciate all answers and you folks on this forum are really wonderful!!!

14. judy and squamee(GA)

My vet doesn't think home testing is necessary---and I don't think that is unusual. But he is WRONG! At a minimum, we test before any shot. THat way there is no danger of shooting when the BG (blood glucose is too low). We usually set a number of around 150 to 200 below which you don't give insulin. THe peak action is often around +6 (6 hours after injection) tho it varies. You should post on the board for your specific insulin to get the most expert advice.
    GLad you are aboard!

15. drirish

drirish Member

How does the cat react over time to getting lanced in the same little area?

16. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well with my cat and with many of the cats here, Fenix comes looking for me when it is test time. Of course for him the ear poke equals treats and Fenix is very very treat driven. I also try to test one ear one time and the other ear the next time. That way I'm not lancing the same ear all the time. But if you are giving him something yummy right after testing they learn very quickly that a little poke in the ear gets them yummy treats they will be very happy to sit for a little stick. Now Fenix is diet controlled so we don't test as much as a newly dxed or one that is receiving insulin on a regular basis. But if I want to grab a spot check on Fenix, I simply shake his treat can and tell him "ears time" and he jumps up in his testing spot.

Cats like routines, so if you are using the same location to test ( for us that is on our bed) and around the same time, they will start coming when it is time to test. Just remember even if you don't get a blood sample, but your kitty sat for the ear poke, they still get their treat. Not their fault that either their ear didn't bleed or the human didn't do it right. They held up their part of the bargin by showing up and letting us stupid humans try to poke their ear so they still get rewarded.

Mel

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Glad to see you back! have the peeing and pooping improved also?

Wondering if you are in Ireland? Vetsulin is more commonly used in Europe and there is some question about whether they have the same problems with it as in the US. If so, your vet may not know about Lantus or Levemir. PZI is prescribed in England. We have a number of members using it.

18. judy and squamee(GA)

My cat, who is not known for compliance, doesn't seem to mind. I try to use both ears and to move around so it's not always the exact same spot. Also, after immediately after testing, I hold the ear using some pressure, for 20 seconds or so (like in the doctor's office after they take blood) to prevent bruising. Some people find it helpful to use a little neosporin on the ear.

19. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I find that one ear usually bleeds better than the other, so I pretty much only use one ear except when doing a curve (testing every 2 hours)

I go up and down the outer edge of the ear for different tests, so not the exact same place every day.

The capillaries seem to get a little bigger and stronger from the poking, so it does get easier to get the blood drop after a few weeks / months of daily testing.

20. drirish

drirish Member

Took my cat to the vet today. Last night I only gave him 1.25 units instead of 2 units based on what he ate and the fact that earlier in day his eyes got dilated a bit (bigger than his brothers eyes) This morn he was due for a 11:30 insulin shot and I had 11am appt at vet. I took him there and told the vet that I had not given him his shot and that the last shot was not a full one, just a tad bit over half a shot. He tested his glucose level without giving an insulin shot. The vet was surprised and entusiastic (guarded enthusiasm) because his blood sugar count was 116, this after a half shot and then no shot. He told me to not give him insulin. I'm assuming that my lab/glucose bills at $34 a pop are basically the same as testing at home. He still is a little dehydrated and gave him a subcutaneous fliud today and again tomorrow. I wish he would drink a little more water and he occasionally strains still when trying to poop but not like he used to- he also has not thrown up for a few days. So fingers crossed and rabbit foot in hand.

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This is sounding encouraging! Hope things continue to improve.

The difference between the glucose tests at the vet and at home is that stress raises bg levels. So if he is stressed at all, his numbers could be higher. The other difference is $. Glucose curves at home are only the strips and the treats!

22. drirish

drirish Member

Any help on this issue would be appreciated. I had not know if my cat was straining to try and poop or pee- my guess was he was constipated. Well he just threw up for first time in 3 days and was straining real hard- I looked at his rear end and their is a turd wanting to coome out- So now that that puzzle is solved should I rub some vasoline on his butt, is it ok to give him some pumpkin filling (worked wonders in past but it does have some sugar in it. Any suggesstions on this- basically my constipated cat is in poop labor.

23. Jen & Squeak

Plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, is acceptable and often used. Also adding water to your cat's canned food, and slippery elm powder (about to try this with my cat).

24. drirish

drirish Member

Well i have tried with rubber surgical gloves and vasoline to get my cat to poop but to no avail even though with my finger I could gingerly feel a rock hard turd in his rectum, a time or two he almost pooped it out. This morn at 11am I go to my vet for some fluid injections for the cat and will insist that they give him an enema or whatever to get him un-constepated. I like my vet but he tries to outsmart me about what the hell is wrong with my cat sometimes. Anyhow anybody familiar with enemas for cats. Thanks

25. drirish

drirish Member

Finally got cat to defecate after quite a few days. Since his bs count was down to 110 (after a half shot and then a skipped shot) vet took him completely off insulin. Stopped by vet today and they gave cat more fluids as scheduled. The saturday on duty vet said to continue to give him lactulose to promote fluids in his colon(which I hadn't for almost a week) does not make a great deal of sense because it is made of two types of sugar. I would rather give him pumpkin pie filling or even pumpkin which has a little sugar but I'm guessing not as much as lactulose. I was telling vet for days he was constipated and they never addressed it. I put some vasoline in his rectum and gave him a little pumpkin last nite and by morning he let loose of some large turds. What is a good sugar free maitenence for his stool. Anybody know-

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

27. drirish

drirish Member

So on friday my cats bs count was 110 after not getting morning shot and half a shot 12 hours prior. Vet said take him off insulin for weekend, (in meantime his constipation was over- over the weekend and has had good bowel movements since. I went back to using lactulose as a laxative even though it is made up of two sugars- but my research found that it does not affect the bs count) Monday his bs at the vet was back into the low 400's. Vet said to give him one unit as opposed to 2 as we previously had. Since Monday he seems really good, eating well, walking around on all fours instead of immediately sitting on back legs and today when I got up this morn he jumped onto kitchen chair then onto table in two really quick ponces. I have not started my own bs testing- I guess I should. I know my cat put on 1/2 pound as of Monday and I suspect he has added a tad bit since then. I am encouraged about him although I was wondering
    -should I only feed him before insulin, because he likes to nibble thru the day especially lately
    -should I excercise him- I took him outside to a baseball field last week to walk around after he would not eat in the morn- he came back with a healthy appetite. In fact since then he goes and lays in the sun coming in from the windows which he had never done in 13 years. He has almost become a sun god.
    -I figure the peak of the insulin is 6 hours so I put out the wet food for him then which he eat up for awhile- is this a good idea
    -I have not got down the technique for insulin injection of sticking him and then drawing a little so as not to see blood and thus being in a vein.

Any help and or suggestions appreciated.

28. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Content removed by Rebecca.

No one is to use this public forum to solicit telephone calls from other users. We are NOT veterinarians, we do NOT practice vet medicine, and this forum is to be used for expressing public OPINIONS only.

Thank you.

29. Jen & Squeak

I'm not certain why a phone call is needed ...you seem to be making some good progress but I think adding hometesting to the mix would add the final piece to the puzzle because you are still operating on guesses...

30. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hiya,

* Most diabetics (human and cat) do better with small frequent meals; it keeps their BG curve flatter. If dr likes to graze, let him graze. However, because the pattern of feeding affects his BG levels, you need to keep that in mind when dosing him.
    * Yes, do exercise him. Exercise helps to lower BG levels.
    * Again, grazing small frequent meals is good.
    * You do not draw back on the insulin syringe. (I know, I was told that by the vet at first too.) You are shooting with a short needle just under the skin. You are going to be nowhere near major blood vessels.

The 400 level on Monday shows that you cat still needs insulin. Do get yourself a glucometer and strips at the pharmacy (sounds like you are maybe in Ireland, and I doubt waiting for a newbie kit is a good idea). Look for a system that has strips that you care to afford. There is a page here on home testing, including links to videos.

31. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok, newbie kit packed and ready to go.

Remainder of content removed by Rebecca: please keep to topic.

some posts by various members have been totally removed as they do not pertain directly to the topic.

32. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Content removed by Rebecca. Please post only items pertaining to original thread topic.

33. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

content removed by Rebecca - not germane to thread.

34. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

36. drirish

drirish Member

UPDATE ON MY CAT WHOSE NAME IS "DOCTOR"

fyi I am not in Ireland but in Peoria, Illinois.

Took cat to vet friday and his bs count was 212, he had not had insulin for 12 hours and he has had marked steady improvement over last few days- sustained walking on all fours, jumping all the way onto kitchen table, dandruff gone, and other little signs he's feeling better. Anyhow waiting for testing kit to be delivered. Vet did two things yesterday
    1- Said to give him 1 unit of insulin once a day not twice a day.
    2- Took him off the dry Royal Canin Vet Diet Calorie Control high fiber (29% protein, 7% fat, 15% fiber, 18% moisture) and said to feed him Purina DM dry (51% protein, 15 fat, 3% fiber, 12% moisture and 18% carbs) He was and still is also eating the wet dm from Purina. Vet says he- the cat is right on the edge of maybe not needing insulin- so I am to give this diet and 1 daily insulin shot till next Wed when I take him in.

Anybody have any feedback on these numbers and this diet strategy. Does this diet make him drink more or less water?

37. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Paul did you not open the link i sent you above of acceptable and/or reccomended diet?
    you cat might be on the brink but we won't really know until YOU start testing. i sent you a link (above) also to show you the testing 'how it's done' video. so start testing as soon as you get your kit.
    the vet will continue to want to test your kitty as you told me (income)
    and sell you his food (income)
    and as you said...he is costing you a fortune. this is your way out of that spending cycle.
    best of luck.
    lori
    glad dr. is feeling so much better....that is wonderful.

38. Jen & Squeak

Dropping the dry food may be sufficient and to give insulin and change diet is dangerous! I would do the dioet change, learn to test and go from there. If he was 212 at the vet then anything else ois too risky

Jen

39. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

paul is currently feeding dry 18% carbs jen. that is the switch he has made.

40. drirish

drirish Member

My cat is on dry (switched from high fiber calorie ct to Purina DM) AND wet food -Purina DM canned.

41. drirish

drirish Member

I appreciate everybody's help and opinion- however the following seems to be one moderator talking to another and I'm not sure what it means- especially "If he was 212 at the vet then anything else is too risky" I'm still new to this and maybe you could explain exactly what this means.

Dropping the dry food may be sufficient and to give insulin and change diet is dangerous! I would do the dioet change, learn to test and go from there. If he was 212 at the vet then anything else ois too risky[/i]

Thanks again for everybody's help.

42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please read over at http://Catinfo.Org and at http://binkyspage.tripod.com about cat nutrition. Consider what is said, your cat's willingness to eat various foods, and your budget.

Many of us have found that selecting non-prescription, low carbohydrate, canned foods has significantly reduced the insulin needs of the cat, and, in some cases with cats diagnosed early in diabetes, enable the cats to have diet-controlled diabetes, rather than insulin-required diabetes.

When you look at Binky's tables, you'll find that Purina DM is not that low carb compared to Evo Cat and Kitten dry or Wellness Core dry (if you must feed dry). And a fairly large number of retail canned foods are less than 10% carbohydrate ... and significantly less expensive than the Rx Purina DM canned!

43. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Some cats will test as much as 100 points higher at the vet, than at home.
    That means at home, your cat's blood glucose (BG) could be closer to 112.
    If you gave insulin at that low of a BG, you could send your cat into hypoglycemic shock and kill it.

Which is why it is absolutely critical to be able to home test to determine exactly where your cat's BG is at home, and make decisions about givin insulin (or carbs!) based on how your cat is doing there.

44. Jen & Squeak

Sorry, I WAS speaking to you bu was too brief

If your cat was 212 at the vet, that is barely diabetic. If your cat was also on dry food then a switch to a food lower in carbs may lower the number further without even using insulin.

So for your vet to suggest insulin and a diet change with such borderline numbers is risky

Jen

45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is hard to hear conflicting advice and contrary to your vet. Everyone here has or has had a diabetic cat, and used the protocol here which has gotten hundreds of cats into regulation and remission. It works! Wet lo carb, hometesting and careful dosing of insulin

The wet lo carb diet may be all your kitty needs to go off insulin. Read this website by a vet to see why we are so against dry food: http://www.catinfo.org

Agree that the number at the vet may not reflect the real bg levels because of vet stress. Can you get some numbers at home to see where he really is?

The other problem is that insulin generally works only 12 hours in cats. The only time you would give it once a day is if you had data and knew your cat had a late nadir. In other words, that the insulin lasted longer than usual in the cycle. Otherwise, they are on a roller coaster, with higher numbers that last 12 hours after the dose has worn off.

46. drirish

drirish Member

The vet switched the dry food yesterday to DM, the wet canned food for the last few weeks has always been wet dm. I did scratch my head when vet said only 1 daily insulin shot. I was waiting for home test kit but it has not arrived yet so I will go out tonite (I'm going to work in few minutes) or in morn to buy kit and will begin home testing before I give any more insulin. Thanks everyone and will post hometest bs results as soon as I can. For first day or two how often should I test him, every 1-3-5 hours?

47. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Glad you are going to hometest before giving insulin. You can go to Walmart and buy their ReliOn meter and strips. It is the least expensive and uses only a small sample and sips the blood. Meters are generally not that expensive, but the strips can be very costly. You also need lancets and a lancet device. Get 25-26 gauge. (You poke with the lancets)

Be sure to try the meter out on yourself first so you know how it works. And most beginning diabetics need to have their ears warmed so a rice sack is good.

You can start by getting a number and seeing where you are. If you are below 200, no insulin. If above, come on and ask for help. If you give insulin, it is good to test at least every 4-6 hours after the shot to see how it is working. And always, before every shot.

48. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have two cats CURRENTLY being given insulin - Levemir. I wanted to comment on BG numbers that you may see in tests while at the vet office.
    I have one cat who tests high when at the vet, and will be lower when we test at home which is only a 5min walk from the vet office.
    I have another cat who tests LOW at the vet, yes Oliver's BG goes very LOW when at the vet and for that reason, I always take food with me because he cannot afford to go too low. And testing him when we get home ... yes, he goes back up in about 30min after getting home again.

As for the food, ALL dry is bad for diabetics, and that includes the treats. Yes, some people must feed dry for various reasons, but if you can get your cat eating low carb wet food, you will see good results in BG numbers. There are many healthy treats that can be given, and when you begin home testing, it will be a good idea to have some of your cat's favorite treats handy. That way, your cat can connect the pokes with treats. It works very well ... all I have to do is rattle the bag and Shadoe appears like magic.

That DM food may be wet but it does not have the best of ingredients. It is alot better than dry though.

The vet said one shot a day? I'd ask how many diabetic cats this vet treats! Two shots a day are needed.

Always test just before giving a shot; you need to know the BG number because you may get something a bit low.
    One more thing about food - try to remove food for the 2hrs before shots because food affects BG and so the number you get at shot time won't be true. You may think it's OK to shoot but then the food wears off and then you may have a problem.

Testing after the shot is a good idea because you want to see how it's working. Again all cats are different - my Shadoe will show a change around +3 (3 hrs after her shot), but Oliver does not show much change till around his +4.
    Just take a look at some people's spreadsheets by the links in their signatures.

49. drirish

drirish Member

TO SUE AND OLIVER-
    Your advice from the getgo seems to be in tune with me. would appreciate future over the shoulder help. Thanks. Will get test kit in morn and go from there. God bless!!!

50. drirish

drirish Member

Went and bought relion meter, lancets and lancing device. Am a bit overwhelmed and a little past insulin time (i pr day) so I am feeding cat and will give him half his insulin and get prepped for testing after the fact this time and pre shot test on mon.

51. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gosh a newbie kit arrives in 3 days..shoulda been there saturday. now for sure tomorow.
    it will be a good back up. plus your rice sock will come in handy along with the paperwork for great links.
    i believe you are recieveing a contour with 30 strips.
    use them ok.

52. drirish

drirish Member

Getting ready for my first home test. Have not let cat eat this morn and have question. In the videos I saw online with examples of pricking ear- I think all of them a person used the lancets without using the lancing device- the just used it to prick the ear. Anybody with insight on this. I plan on doing test by 10:30 am this morn CST.

53. MommaOfMuse

Some just free hand it using just the lancet itself, I never got the hang of it that way, so I use a slightly modified version, I take the cap off the lancing device and then use it that way so I have better aim, but use the spring loaded action of the device to make the poke quick. That way I can see where I'm aiming but not chicken out and pull the poke itself.

Now Max has really fluffy ears so I use a little neosporin for pain on his ears to help the blood bead up and not disappear in the fur. It also helps in the ear healing process. You may have to try several different approaches until you come up with what works best for you and Doctor.

Other things that help is either warming the ear by rubbing or the use of a rice sock. With Max I can usually just warm his ears by rubbing but now that the weather is colder and the house is chillier I have been using the rice sock to help warm his ears. (thinnish sock filled about 2/3 full of plain white rice and then microwaved for a few seconds to make it very warm but not hot). I check it against my own ear or neck to check temperture before touching his ear. I also try to warm up my hands as well as Max tends to jump if my hands are too cold as well. I just run them under warm water for a few minutes then off to test.

Don't get to frustrated if you don't get blood on the first few tries, it gets easier and you will develop a routine that works for you both. If you have problems come back and post and we will try to help, lots of folks have figured out lots of ways to do it, so someone will have a trick that works.

Mel

54. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i personally always found it easier to just use the lancet alone. i use a cotton ball on the inside of the ear to avoid poking my finger if i poke all the way thru the ear (pierce) and then use the cotton ball to pat ear dry.

55. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh yeah, reward and love on the kitty weather or not you are successful, he should think of it as a lovey dovey rewArding thing.

56. drirish

drirish Member

After trying with and without lance device I used just the lance and went thru his ear and into my finger. I bleed but he did not. Am I actually trying to lance the vein itself or the sweet yellow spot between the vein and the edge of ear. I had him in sunlight and massaged hisear for a good five minutes.

57. MommaOfMuse

Just the sweet spot between the vein and the edge of the ear. With Max I tend to aim for the spot just above the little flap near the bottom edge of his ear. He also has one ear that bleeds better than the other one, so for the most part we only use the right ear. Doctor may have one that works better than the other one. And over time their ears do learn to bleed. I had a bear of a time getting blood those first few days with Max, now I barely touch him and I get blood every time.

Mel

58. drirish

drirish Member

Well i didn't do something right - pricked his ear all the way thru about four times and not enough blood to register - I'm sure I've wasted the strip trying to rub some blood on it to no avail. Strip may be no good anyway because I have had it out of its box for almost an hour. Gonna postpone for now and feed and then give insulin. Shxx!!

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay, time for tips. I don't think we have ever done a survey, but I would guess only 1% of the newbies get it on the first try. We struggled for an entire weekend, poking him constantly. He was so sweet and patient.....

Do you have something behind the ear to poke against? We used a small makeup sponge; lots of people use a folded kleenix.

In the beginning, it does seem that some kitties require a very warm ear. (The rice sack) Massaging is not always enough.

Are you sure aiming in the right place? http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267 ... etspot.jpg where to poke Sometimes after you find the right spot, if you put a little smear of vaseline there, it helps you know where to poke and it helps the blood bead up.

Keep trying and always give treats, successful or not.

60. Jen & Squeak

Other tips...

I actually poke the other side of the ear, about 1/3 of the way up from the base of the ear and I never look for a vein or anything else. I use the softclix lancet device and I love it. I would use a thin sheen of vaseline to help the blood bead up, and I would keep the rice sock behind the ear for support when poking.

Jen

61. drirish

drirish Member

Well knowing others have struggled makes me feel a little better and that sweet spot photo very helpful. I fed him and gave him daily insulin. Will try 3-4 hour from now to get another sample.

62. drirish

drirish Member

I just successfully did my first home test at 11:15 CST today and it went very smooth, changed ears and had no problem.
    I did not let him eat for the last two hours, and his last insulin shot was 11 hour and 30 minutes ago. His bs count on the meter read 110 and I'm guessing that is good- he is now eating his wet dm food. And Lori what was in the smaller little sack- the bigger black one was rice, the smaller one I used as a cushion and after I took his blood he had a blast playing with the little sack. Thanks- I also used your lancets which worked perfectly- what gauge were they? Any how what a difference 24 hours makes- doctor is now playing in spot where I gave him his test so I believe I have reinforced a test site with him. Thanks

Back to larger issue- if he test at 110 after nearly 12 hours after last insulin, but before he eats- I'm guessing no insulin shot. He is very playful now and I was not thrilled with the way he acted the 3-4 hours after the last ouple shots- slept a lot, no real bad symptons but seems very alert now.

63. drirish

drirish Member

One other question- what should i dab his ear with after shot- rubbing alchohol, neosporin?

64. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no shot

65. Jen & Squeak

Woo woo! Congrats!

Definitely no shot now. I would suggest no shot until next shot time, IF he's over 200. And if he's over 200, give maybe just 0.5 units and see what happens. Meanwhile, if you get a chance, test once or twice to see how quickly he goes up from 110.

And nothing is needed on the ear, just pressure for a few seconds

Jen

66. drirish

drirish Member

My vet has him (Doctor the Cat) on only a once per day shot since friday. so his next shot is due today at noon cst, which I will skip and then I will test him a couple or few times today and tonite, what time frame should my second test come at- because he is a grazer more than a set time eater. And also I take him to the vet tomm morn at 10:30 so I think I should test him before I go to vet and then the vet will test him there so I could see how the trip effects the cat. It is about a 6-8 mile trip so he has time to get out of whack sometimes.

67. drirish

drirish Member

I'm still uncertain how long to wait to retest him after first test and then he ate?

68. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I'm not experienced enough to give 'advice', but if my cat were in the same situation, I would test at 1 hour and 2 hours. If little change, test in 2 hour intervals for a few times. I feel that it owuld give me sufficient data to know how his body was reacting.

69. drirish

drirish Member

Well I screwed up a bit in all my excitement. Doctor tested at 110 this morning (2 hours ago) he then ate and I just tested him again and he is at 92. My mistake was when I said earlier that his last insulin shot was almost 12 hours before first test- It was 24 HOURS AGO, vet has had me giving one shot per day, noon yesterday was last insulin- then I tested today and got 110 and gave no insulin. (Sorry if I confused anyone I was so excited to finally complete my first test.)
    So in a nutshell he got insulin yesterday, I tested today 24 hours later got a 110, fed him and 2 hours after that he comes in at 92. Anyone have a take on that. Thanks

70. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Whoo Hoo Welcome to the Vampire Club! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT Secret handshake coming later in the mail......

I would test a couple times today, just because you can :mrgreen: and to see what happens. It is interesting to test before feeding and then about 45 minutes later. Edited: You have already seen that as he has come down after a meal. If his numbers come down, you have pancreatic action. Then you can help feed the numbers by dividing up the food into several small meals and feeding during the day and night.

This is good news!

71. Jen & Squeak

Ok, well, this is even better. I was going to write that it is a very rare cat who can go with one shot a day, but it appears your cat may not even need that. Honestly, I would test once or twice in the next 12 hours and see where he's at and how quickly he rises. It may be that by this evening he may need a token (ie small) shot. Stick to a 12/12 ish schedule for potential shots for consistency and see where things go.

72. drirish

drirish Member

It is now 1:30 (cst) and I go to work at 3ish, i'll try and test again and then again tonite when I get home at 11pm, usually I leave a tad bit of food out for him to graze (I hear this avoids spiking). Now for 4 days he had only one shot of 1 unit, and today no shot. In fact the vet said give him one unit but I only gave him like 3/4's a unit last couple days. Didn't like way he acted 3-4 hours after shot. I thought his eyes were a tad bit dilated compared to his brother, which was a handy comparison tool. If he is under 200 tonite I'll give no shot. (Previously to last four days it was a shot every 12 hours so if i need to give him a shot tonite at least it'll be on that 12/12 schedule.
    And thanks to sue for the cheerleading, pom-pom pussycats, very cool, and lori thanks for the kit. God bless y'all.

73. drirish

drirish Member

Just got home from work (live by myself) and not sure how much grazing doc has done, there is another cat- his brother - did a bs test and it came to 123 so I gave him a wet meal, will check him again in 45 mins to a couple hours. It has now been 36 hours since last insulin. Any suggestions on next check. I take him to vet in 10 and a half hours - will check him before I take him tom morn so I can see what the stress of the vet trip does because they will check him also. Not planning an insulin shot for him.

74. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i don't think you'll be shooting tonight paul. count your blessings.

75. drirish

drirish Member

It has been nearly 48 hours since insulin, and his am pre food test today at 9:30 am cst was 148. He had thrown up water only this morn but I think he had tried to go to bathroom which he did (he pooped and it was a clogged side by side turds) so I think he threw up after trying to go first time. started testing yesterday and it goes like this
    Mon noon- last insulin shot
    Tues 11:15 am tested at 110 then ate
    1:15 pm tested at 92
    11:48 pm tested at 123
    Wed 9:26 am tested at 148 am going to vet now will be interested to see his numbers there

76. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Don't be surprised if they are higher at the vet.

if he was stressed about a bm this morning, that can raise bg levels ( :mrgreen: Can't everything...)

77. drirish

drirish Member

Went to vet and his bs test there was 148 also- I think he was stressed at my place because he had thrown up a hour or so before. Vet said to take him off insulin- which I had already done two days ago with the help of all the fine folks at this site. Vet wants to see him again next week and if all is still well again in a month for a fractolose one-month averaging test. Wants me to get him eating more dry dm food, I think so cat can graze it. Do have to say vet has been pretty cool in that he has only charged me for office visits about half the time. Today he spent a full 45 minutes with me and only charged $30 for the test - no office visit.

78. Jen & Squeak

Well that is a reasonable visit :)

Couple of things tho...

1. do NOT give DM dry! or you risk raising those bgs up
    2. a fructosamine test is like a two week average, not a one month. It is a reasonable thing to do if you cannot test at home but if you are testing at home then it is a cost you do not need to incur.

Jen

79. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

NO DRY>>>>>you'll be right back in the game if you do...trust us on this one.

80. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not sure if we have told you that he can graze on wet. You can freeze it and let him eat it as it thaws. If you use an automatic feeder, you can feed him every few hours. And that is best, because the food in several small meals a day will help support his awakening pancreas.

81. drirish

drirish Member

Thanks for all the advice. Just so I'll know- why is it that wet is better- are there any liks you can send me to for my own ongoing education on this.

82. drirish

drirish Member

Not that I need a link per se, believe me I trust everybody on this site, just wanted explanation for my own good. Thanks

83. Sue and Oliver (GA)

84. Jen & Squeak

Ditto Dr Lisa's site. And more immediately, think of a human diabetic and how they are put on diets that limit simple carbs. Dry food is full of carbs. 'Nuff said :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.