Newbie - Thanks for letting me join.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Greg B, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg B

Greg B New Member

OB (short for Outside Boy) was diagnosed last week with diabetes, his BG was in the 400's. Purchased an AlphaTrak 2 for home testing and Lantus Insulin. Waiting on the correct syringes. Changed his diet to Purina DM and have plenty of Fancy Feast wet food. Understand how to home test and the concept of a Glucose curve, but I have no idea of a starting dose of Insulin. 9 months ago OB was 19lbs, today he's about 13lbs. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, OB & Greg

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Greg and OB. He is a handsome boy! I suggest you create a signature so that OB's information is available and attached to each of your posts. Here is a link so you can do that: SIGNATURE
    You can begin by reading the information on Lantus in the yellow tagged stickies at the top of the Lantus insulin support group forum. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/
    A low carb wet food diet is good for OB, is the Purina DM a dry product? If so, that's not recommended and if he will transition to all wet, the better. There is a food chart at the top of the Main Forum for canned foods, many of us use the Fancy Feast Classics and the Friskies pates, no sauces or gravies, that are easily accessible and available. There are many other choices however.
    We also use a spreadsheet to record the time and dose of insulin given, as well as all the home testing. You could start testing OB at any time if you have your equipment and supplies. A treat after, or even possibly before to get going, is a good way to help him get used to the process. Did your vet make a dosage recommendation at diagnosis? You could copy and paste the intro post here in a new thread in the Lantus forum for dosage recommendations.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Thank you Janet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.