Newbie to forum: human (frustrated) and cat (uncontrolled)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heidi and Fiona, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heidi and Fiona

Heidi and Fiona New Member

Hi, My cat Fiona has been dealing with diabetes for about two years. We can't seem to get everything (food, insulin, peeing, drinking, eating, glucose levels, UTIs) to even out. Since the beginning, she has had peeing and thirsty-/hungry-all-the-time issues. We're up to 3 units twice per day and nothing about her behavior has changed. The vet has done only two curves. The numbers were radically different but both within normal range so he wanted me to leave her at the current insulin levels. She's been on Fancy Feast trout wet food, which is on the list of ok OTC foods for diabetic cats, for quite a while now.

I found your group by searching for why a diabetic cat might still have all of the same behaviors, and found the information in the thread very helpful. I'm going to go buy a glucose meter and some strips tomorrow and start teaching myself how to test.

I've been told by our pet-sitter that the human insulin pen is very effective for cats who respond poorly to the usual insulin but my vet is very resistant to prescribing it. The insulin Fiona is on is Vetsulin, which is a porcine insulin. I'm frustrated beyond words but am hopeful that the advice I found on your site will give me the evidence I need to try a new path with her treatment.

Thank you, Heidi and Fiona

BBelshan likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Heidi and Fiona. I am so sorry to hear about your frustration with the diabetes treatment for the last 2 years. I think I would be frustrated too.
    I think it's a very good idea for you to being home testing, so that you can record data and see how the Vetsulin is (or isn't) affecting Fiona. Testing is also a way to help keep Fiona safe from a hypoglycemic event, when the blood sugar drops too low.
    There are many other low carb foods that Fiona can have, we have a food chart in the Main Health forum that you can look through. Many of us feed Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates, under 10% carbs. But diet is only one component of three that is used for effective diabetes treatment. We can help you learn how to test, there are tips and videos here on the board also. Many of us also use human insulins with great success.
    Why don't you begin by creating your signature so that Fiona's pertinent information is available with your posts. Here's a link to the signature and profile information: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/ It's helpful to include your first name and where you are because sometimes time is a factor with advice. You can edit the signature at any time if there are changes.
    Another thing that will help us help you now that you are going to be testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Here's some information about understanding the spreadsheet:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    I would like you see you post in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can see what's going on with Fiona and begin to help you with these issues. If you like you can just copy your message here, begin a new thread there and paste. This forum is mainly just to say "Hello, what's next?" and in the Main forum we can provide links to the food chart, testing information and get some of the experienced members input on changing insulin. I just don't want to overload you with things to do all at once.
    We're here to help. :cat:

BBelshan likes this.
  3. Heidi and Fiona

Heidi and Fiona New Member

Thank you for your supportive words! I picked up the meter today and have been reading this site to see how to use it. I tried it on myself today. Tomorrow the kitty. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll be taking it all stepwise.

Erin & Scott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.