1. FDMB will be updated soon. PLEASE save this web address: https://www.limestonemedia.com/feline/FDMB/ -- this will be the backup during the transition. It should be just an hour or two. See the "Announcements" section for more info.

newbie to testing. low bs # pm test

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela lasasso, Jan 2, 2020.

  1. Angela lasasso

    Angela lasasso New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2019
    hey all, I've just started home testing and I'm using alphatrak2 .. I just got a 63 before his dinner meal...which is a hypo # .. I didnt want to give insulin .. because I'm scared...since his first hypo event where he was hospitalized for 2 days the weekend before xmas.. he is hitting in the blue.. and green.. only time he was in yellow was when he stole the rice from my rice sock.. lol. what should I do.. no insulin? sheet is below in signature for review
     
  2. Deb & Wink

    Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2013
    Looks like you already decided to skip the insulin. Good call.

    Found you other post in the Prozinc forum where you talk about switching Mern to lower and lower carb food and how Mern had a seizure. Cats can be more sensitive to insulin after a hypo and Mern is showing that increased sensitivity.

    It's probably the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers that is keeping Mern in high numbers. I would NOT stop feeding that particular food until you get more comfortable with home testing and try to get some more mid-cycle numbers to see how low the Prozinc is dropping him.

    When you feed a lower carb food, the BG numbers can drop even lower than you have been getting.

    I see that your cat has been diabetic since 2018. Who knows, but he could have been dropping really low before this and did have that recent hypo.

    Since you are changing the food, I would strongly suggest dropping the dose way down UNLESS your cat is prone to ketones.

    Not sure how you were monitoring his diabetes before this but it's certainly lucky for Mern that you are hometesting now. Your vet only had you drop the dose down from 4 U to 3 U dose of Prozinc, but that looks like too much to me, looking at the SS (spreadsheet).

    Hoping someone more familiar with Prozinc will be by to chime in.
     
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    First of all kudos for starting to home test. Best decision you can make to keep Mern safe.

    That 63 is way too low on the AT2 meter and the fact that it occurred at the end of the cycle is yet another indicator that the dose is too high.

    I agree with Deb about skipping tonight and that the dose needs to be lowered. Since you are in the midst of changing food how about trying a dose of 2u but be sure to get some mid cycle tests to ensure Mern is not dropping too low. If Mern drops below 90 mid cycle, then dose should be backed off even more by 0.25u to 1.75u. If Mern has a history of ketones, get some ketostix and test his urine to make sure the dose increase is not causing him to produce ketones.

    The other thing I would suggest is getting at a bare minimum, a test before bed every night. If that test is lower than pre-shot test, then set an alarm and test Mern again during the night to make sure he doesn't drop too low.

    BG may be up in the AM due to the skipped shot but don't let that sway you. He still needs his dose lowered.

    One other bit of "homework"......can you add your kitty's name to the name of the spreadsheet. It's not unusual for those of us providing support to have several spreadsheets open at one time and it helps immensely if kitty's name is in the title so we know we are on the right spreadsheet when offering advice.
     
  4. Angela lasasso

    Angela lasasso New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2019
    thanks!! .. I'm calling his vet tomorrow and sending my spreadsheet. so that we can figure out a proper dose. thanks so much.
     
  5. Angela lasasso

    Angela lasasso New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2019
    ok I think hes ok, prozinc def needs to be adjusted, but he went from 63, then 2 hours later to 133 then just now (2 more hours later) and he is high at 275... I'm still not gonna give him the shot till after his morning test.. and we are gonna follow up with the vet in the morning. just wanted to update. thanks!! u guys are amazing
     
    MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.

Share This Page