Newbie (was here in 2013 with Purrcee) - Julie + Muffin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie + Muffin, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Hi Everyone
    It's been a long while since my last diabetic cat and now we have another one. The website has changed quite a bit so I'm trying to get acquainted with it. I am cofounder of a cat sanctuary and our Muffin was diagnosed on 6/1. Glucose was 475. Vet prescribed one unit Lantis 2x per day. Rather than shoot I chose to start low carb canned food on 6/2. Today 6/5 her fasting rate was 248 and 2 hours after eating it was 293.
    My question is should I continue with the low carb food and no insulin or should I continue with the low carb food and shoot. If I shoot should I reduce the dose?
    Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hello Julie and Muffin!
    Is welcome back still fitting here? :). That's not a bad improvement from diet change in just a few days but we also have to consider initial reading at Vet may have been stressed influenced. Not so much to say she isn't really diabetic, obviously. *This is just my thought* I would only give the fully low carb diet a total of a week to see maximum impact. If she needs to start Lantus insulin, then you don't want to prolong starting it by too much. You will still continue the low carb diet once she starts insulin. 1.0U is a typical starting dose for Lantus, well any insulin, and it sounds like you are home testing :D.

I don't know if they had the Spreadsheet last time you were on the forum but we like to use them now. Here are the instructions and if you need help setting it up, just ask and have a Gmail account ready: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

I see you've already figured out the Signature instructions, so I would suggest adding insulin type - Lantus, when you will start it, what dose, and what glucometer you use. :bighug:

3. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Hi Yong (I assume that's your name not your kitty?)
    Thanks so much for your quick response. I fear I messed up because after I saw I should only post questions in the forum I posted my same question there! When I was here with my Purrcee the spreadsheet was in use. I will start one for Muffin. I will continue low carb only for one week total. We are home testing at the sanctuary but having a hard time finding the recommended glucometer. I was using ReliOn with Purrcee but the vet suggested we get a vet meter. The ones recommended her I can't seem to find like the Accuchek Advantage...I see there are others by them as well. I see you are using ReliOn for daily testing. So Maybe I should I should just stick with that.

Maury is beautiful.

4. Yong & Maury GA

You are welcome :). Shouldn't be a big deal for the post on Main too, that's why I responded there that I responded here :smuggrin:. Lots of us in the states use ReliOn Confirm/Micro because the strips are more affordable. The Pet meter ones for AlphaTrak 2 are almost $1 each strip, so minimum $3 a day for testing and that's 100% successful tests, no errors lol. I sort of got guilted into buy AT2 meter at first but once realized the long term costs and my desire to test him like 4 times a day with not working o_O, did not add up so well :p. So I kept my AT2 and use it for curves or when he gives lower numbers on the ReliOn.

Thank you! :cat:
    Muffin is a cutie too!

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Julie!!! Welcome back! I'm still here but with our second sugarboy - Dakota that we adopted already diabetic. I THINK you were posting when he joined us in 2013.

My favorite meter is still the ReliOn 'Micro' altho' I mostly use the ReliOn Prime now. Strips are quite a bit cheaper altho' I get a slight bit more errors with it. It takes a bigger drop of blood but Doc's ears have been pokied for 8 years so one bleeds well.

HUGS!

6. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

OH my goodness! You are a saint to adopt a diabetic kitty. Dakota is a lucky boy for sure! He is a cutie.
    I have the ReliOn Confirm but maybe I should go get the ReliOn Micro. Our caretaker is diabetic and is using her True Metrix Air; have no idea if that is a good one or not.
    Thanks for stopping by!! Have a great week. Hugs to you too!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Micro and Confirm take same strips with small blood sample size of 0.3µ. Meter sizes are just different :). The ReliOn Prime that Lyresa uses takes 0.5µ I believe but strips are even more affordable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.