Newbie with a few questions.... wet food and how much?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jobeth77, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobeth77

Jobeth77 New Member

Hi everyone,
    What a great place with an abundance of info. I'm not new to having a diabetic cat but I do have a few questions. I have one 7 y/o diabetic cat who is on dry food and I"m trying to switch over to wet food. I do see the list of foods but I am wondering if there is a way to find out how much to feed my cat. My vet (I just moved from Connecticut to Texas) doesn't really seem to be knowledgable regarding how much food and I'm a little concerned. I may find a new vet but in the meantime I need to do some self educating. I guess I"m looking for a place to figure out how to calculate how much she should have.

My biggest concern is my 14 y/o orange tabby Milo. I took him vet recently to find out that he's diabetic. Oh boy, two diabetic cats. I didn't realize that older cats are prone to diabetes. He's not overweight and never has been. He's currently a little under 11 pounds because of the diabetes. He's usually around 12 or so. The vet is suggesting wet food for him but hasn't really suggested how much. He's currently on a dry food and I want to make sure that I transition him correctly. I haven't started the insulin (Lantus) yet. So, I guess my two questions are...... Recommendations on a good wet food and how much to feed him?? I do have a glucometer (Alpha Track) and do know how to test and curve at home. The vet suggested two units with the wet food but didn't suggest how much food. He said to go by the label on the food. I know that food labels typically suggest too much. I just don't want him to become hypoglycemic on his transition over to insulin and a new food. I"m pretty frustrated with the vet because my old vet in Connecticut really took the time with my other cat and told me how much to try. I may have to find a new vet but for now I know I need to get Milo started on insulin. Maybe I should be asking for vet suggestions in Houston, Texas..

Sorry for the long post!! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Joy

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome JoBeth,

We do have members in Texas so maybe you will get some vet ideas.

Please consider starting at a low dose - usually .5 or 1 unit twice a day. If you start too high, you run the risk of rebound. You can always up the dose, but you can't get a too high dose out of the kitty after you give it.

As for the food, it varies with the cat. We have a 10 pound kitty and he gets 2 cans of fancy feast a day. With Oliver, when he was first diabetic and at 16 pounds, he got 2.5 cans of FF daily. When he got regulated and off insulin, we went down to the 2 cans. (Others here do feed more than that.) You don't want him gaining weight or losing weight, so you have to play around with it a bit. It depends on whether he is very active or not also. Oliver was a couch potato. When unregulated and first diabetic, they are very hungry as their bodies aren't metabolizing food well. So you may want to feed him more at first. It does help to divide into small meals and water the food down.

I know I haven't given you a definite answer. Afraid the feeding question is like lots of the questions - every cat IS different. You have to try and see what works for you.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I usually feed each of my cats 1/2 can of Friskies or a small can of Fancy Feast twice a day. It is not unusual for your diabetic cat to want more, especially before his BG levels are regulated. It is ok to give him extra food. Until his BG levels are regulated, he will be hungry more often because his body is not processing his food properly. My diabetic cat Ricky often gets 1 1/2 cans of Friskies for the whole day and this seems to maintain his weight.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help - maybe it won't ;-)

When Maui came off dry to canned food - she could eat anywhere from 1-2 FF cans in one sitting. And I would offer her food 2-3 times a day.

She wouldn't go to the food, so I brought it to her. I think it was cause she didn't feel well, had neuropathy (trouble walking) and just wasn't interested in eating unless I "forced" the issue.

As time went on and she started feeling better and her BG's regulated, she would eat 1 FF can, sometimes less or more and would wait for breakfast in bed - she'd get a look of anticipation and expectation on her face and well - I had sucker stamped on my forehead. :mrgreen:

So, not sure if this helps with the amount or not. But as others said, you will need to figure out what works for your guys and adjust accordingly. Just don't be too limiting with food, as they both need it and may need more than normal.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hey I am in Houston. I sent you a PM "private message". I also gave Webber Lantus so I can help you out if you have any questions. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.