Newbie with bad situation looking for thoughts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christine & Hooska (GA), Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christine & Hooska (GA)

Christine & Hooska (GA) New Member

As many of you know, my Hooska was just dx'ed with diabetes on Wed. He also has a liver problem and I'm wringing my hands trying to figure out how to get those pills down him -- so far, unsuccessful.

I just remembered today while reading up on cat health that he also has anemia. I was so freaked out by everything else, I didn't discuss this much with the vet at the time but I will do so asap. Perhaps that's why his listlessness?

Also, he had lots of gas, which ordinarily I would think was nerves, except he's had a gas problem for a few days before we even took him in. Then there's also the perpetually wet belly again today. Talk about overwhelmed!

So now on top of all this, ever since I tried to transition him from dry to wet food, which at first he seemed to love but soon grew weary of and ultimately that wasn't working, I took advice of my vet and some good folks, esp in light of his liver situation, and switched him back to dry food again. At least its probiotic so I hoped it would at least help his digestion. But all day today, he has not eaten. He picked at it a tiny bit last night while we slept (or tried to). But no eating all day today. So I gave him 2 little cat treats thinking I must get something into him, and he threw that up just now. I am beside myself!

Any thoughts or reassurances?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Christine,

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's good to post again, start fresh as they say.

Have you checked Dr Lisa's link for pilling?
    Dr Lisa: Pilling

I'm also linking your previous thread which contains a lot of info on Hooska, if anyone needs to check back quickly..
    Previous Thread

Hope you can get some thoughts too, hang in there :YMHUG:

3. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Here's my biggest concern with an inappetant diabetic: are you testing for ketones?

My secondary concern would be pancreatitis. Do you have something bland ypu can offer him? Boiled chicken was something I used when Boo was sick.

4. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Christine-

Not sure how long your kitty was on the wet food, but I can tell you the my girl has been SUPER gassy (oh, geez!) since she's been eating the canned food. I'm embarrassed for her!! You're the first person that I've seen post about such issues. ;-) Not sure if the two are related, but wanted to maybe? ease your mind in that it might be a food issue? Can someone chime in as to whether this is common?

So sorry to hear that you're having (additional) troubles. :-(

s

5. Dani & Wily (GA)

Dani & Wily (GA) New Member

I had a situation once with Wily where his thyroid was out of whack, I couldn't get the diabetes under control, he had mouth ulcers, a food allergy and I couldnt find a food he would eat. I beat myself up about it terribly, the fact that I couldn't fix him. Remember you're not superhuman and you aren't a vet. Others here probably have better medical advice, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in as much as possible and remember you are doing the best you can. I know the utterly helpless feeling. With Wily I was overwhelmed by all the concurrent problems and in the end all I could do was try to tackle one at a time... I boiled chicken for him and skipped his thyroid pill to avoid stomach upset, put parmesan cheese on his food to get him to eat, and then worked on the insulin.. it took weeks, but finally I figured out what worked. You are doing a good thing - sending supportive thoughts your way.

6. Christine & Hooska (GA)

Christine & Hooska (GA) New Member

To all of you, and especially Dani whom I can tell has been pretty much where I am tonight, Thank You!

I left a message for the vet. He suggested Hooska be given the syrup on the gums treatment. Then I noticed Hooska was walking around, and that made me glad. I struggled with him, and he pretty much has a syrupy little face now, as well as some that got onto his gums.

It's kind of late in life for me to learn how to be a nurse, but I believe you can teach an ol' dog (me, lol) new tricks. Feeling a bit of relief now. Praying for a better tomorrow!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.