Newbie with newly diagnosed cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by asteria, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asteria

asteria New Member

Hi everyone! I just signed up since Gypsy's been recently diagnosed this week. I am still getting over the fact that shes diabetic and very anxious as I know this will basically be a whole new routine and there is a definite learning curve with serious consequences if accidents happen. She's still as sassy as ever, so far all I had noticed was that she was peeing and drinking a lot more and so off to the vet we went. Since she's 11 we decided to do a senior panel on her to check blood and urine. Results came back with levels of 450 BG and glucose in her urine... so yup, diabetic cat she is. :(

I am bringing her in this weekend to the vet's to do a glucose curve so they can start her insulin. I have already started her on wet food (fancy feast classic 2 mini cans a day). She LOVES it. Lol I think she might even think this is an upgrade to the senior diet she was on before, which was dry. I am also getting the glucometer from the vet the same day so I can test her at home. I am not squeamish about blood/injections so I dont think it should be a problem.. I hope.

I do have a few questions though.. Can the new diet that she is on now significantly alter her BG so that the the insulin levels will be wonky/low after I give injections? I just put her on a new diet and its only been a couple days, which she seemingly loves, but can her body react quickly to it? Its just with all the new changes to her life I am not sure how her body will react to it. It scares me a little since I am not home during the day because of work and I dont want things to happen while I am not there :( I am just afraid of sudden drops during the day since she is on new food. I havent started insulin yet but will on the weekend. Of course I will test her BG before feeding, but should I hold off on insulin until I make sure shes consistent with her diet and there won't be any sudden changes in BG through diet?

Thanks for reading, its only the beginning and already this forum has been a huge help! :)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Gypsy! :)

It's good that you've made the food switch before starting insulin. Fancy Feast and Friskies pates are fine for diabetic cats. The issue with getting a dose finding curve done at the vet's is that the stress they feel there can inflate their BG level such that a dose that's prescribed based on that curve can actually by too high. The safe starting dose for all insulins is 1 unit twice a day.

So much of this is having the right mind set so you don't feel defeated by small setbacks. Sounds like you'll be fine. Once you're home testing you won't have to do any more curving for the vet.

If she's been on FF for a day or two now and hasn't had any other higher carb food, especially kibble, she should be OK. The key to avoiding a crash early on is to start at a low enough dose and get your testing routine up and running right away.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here to help!

That's great that your vet advocates home testing.... It's amazing how many don't.

He will probably sell you the Alphatrak 2 which is the one I use. Don't let him charge you too much.... You can get it on amazon a lot cheaper as well as the test strips for it ($45).

Food change makes a big difference... But takes effect quickly. Just don't let him start you more than 1 unit.

Once you have the meter you won't have to do curves at the vet. They are more accurate at home. We can help set you up with a spreadsheet like the ones you see in our signature.

4. asteria

asteria New Member

A huge thank you to both of you! :cat: Its great knowing that there are people who can help and support us when in need~

If my vet does actually prescribe her with a dose higher than 1 unit, how should I (respectfully) counter that? I do want to be on good terms with her, since shes obviously Gypsy's doctor, but I am also worried about crashing and you guys are all so knowledgeable as well.

5. JanetNJ

Just say "since I'm not home during I'd really feel more comfortable starting with a low dose and raising slowly as needed as I'm super worried she will drop too low. Could we start at 1 unit for a while and see how it goes?".

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

7. asteria

asteria New Member

Thank you! I just realized something- should I feed her before we go to the vet's tomorrow morning? Or would that be bad for her glucose curve?

also the vet just called me and told me the shipment for the glucometer didnt come in.. and likely wont until Monday-Tues... more stress on top of stress... :\

8. JanetNJ

If you have Amazon prime get it tomorrow.

Actually a majority in this board use cheap human meters from Walmart. The relion micro or confirm.

Pick up extra strips and 28 gauge lancets.... The ones in the kit won't last long.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...system kit&dpPl=1&dpID=41RoB3D3nXL&ref=plSrch

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hey Asteria, I took my boy to the Vet for his first attempted curve, and they told me to do everything as I normally would. So he was fed and got his shot. Unfortunately, the stress kept him higher than diagnosis so after like 2 readings they called me to come pick him up. Found another Vet that was OK with me wanting to home test and said I could do the curve at home and e-mail them his numbers :) I've seen that some members have Vets that will only take Alpha Trak 2 numbers because they don't understand the human glucometer readings, so I do use the pet meter for his curves but ReliOn Confirm for his daily testing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.