? Newbie, wondering about feeding schedule with Novolin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dave & Stormy, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave & Stormy

Dave & Stormy New Member

So as I stated in the introductions, Storm was diagnosed beginning of the month with his level at 442. We started on Novolin N, U100, (we had a surrendered kitty about 6 months ago started on this as well who past; other health complications), and the vet taught us how to give the shots. Big step for me since I hate needles, but for the little ones,....whatever it takes. Started at 2 units for the first week, twice daily and the vet said to feed him right after we give him his shot.

I'm reading here on the board that we should be feeding him well before his shot, (hour or 2 before?). Could someone please provide a little guidance on feeding our big boy. He's 28lbs btw. Also how should we be feeding him throughout the day. Normally he free feeds with dry that is out, but we have been cracking down on the dry food. We have been trying to keep him full with wet food so he stays out of the dry that is out for the other cats, but I'm beginning to think this might not be a good course of action.

Really beating my head against the wall trying to get everyone off the dry or at least make it so Stormy can't get the dry food.

Yesterday Storm was re-tested at the vets and he was down to 391, 5hrs after his AM injection.

2. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Yes, I feed mine about 20 minutes before his shot. Novolin drops blood sugar hard and fast and if you feed the cat AFTER you've given the shot, and he pukes or just refuses to eat at all, then there's a good chance you could be up a certain Creek without a paddle. Feeding before ensures that the cat has something in his system to counteract the harsh and steep drop that an insulin like Novolin produces

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Our Humulin N Primer is here and should help you use it optimally.

4. Dave & Stormy

Dave & Stormy New Member

That is actually the post I found that got me a little confused compared to what our vet instructed. Thanks!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Our guideline is based on real user experiences, which may be more likely to approximate what you're managing.

6. Dave & Stormy

Dave & Stormy New Member

7. zzyzzx

zzyzzx Member

My guy is pretty fat (~17lbs last time I checked) and I give him the shot while he is eating wet food.
    As far as needles go, I recommend the short 30 gauge needles.
    2 units 2X daily seems really low to me. 5 is the minimum my guy gets.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For folks feeding an over the counter, low carb, canned diet, using less than 2 units every 12 hours is pretty common. Take a look at the users in the Lantus and ProZinc forums for some examples, other than cats with acromegaly and/or Insulin Auto-Antibodies.

9. KittyCatNicole

KittyCatNicole Member

Hi there.
    My girl went into remission on Humilin N. She started on 2 units twice a day.
    Our routine was test, feed, give insulin 10 minutes after feeding. Text again in 6 hours. That tells you how low she will go at the lowest.
    Best of luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.