Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelley & Phattie

Kelley & Phattie Member

Hello All!

On 2/22/2015, I had to take Phattie to the emergency vet for a 3 night stay due to Diabetic Ketoacidosis, Pancreatitis and obviously diabetes.

She was sent home at 2.0 units of lantus twice a day and a suggestion to get a fructosamine test in 2 weeks. The 1st test was discouraging. Other than being told to raise the dosage to 3.0 units twice a day, I didn't receive much information on how to proceed.

Fortunately, I found an amazing vet online who has pointed me in the right direction with glucose testing, diet, this forum, etc. So I am currently in the process of testing and tweaking her diet and my schedule.

Her numbers are all over the place, so I'm a little overwhelmed and confused. Phattie tolerates the testing and the shots, and overall seems much happier than before her diagnosis.

She had a rough couple of years living in a cage after someone left her outside a shelter in a box. I've been spoiling her for 4 years and want to continue doing so as long as possible so I appreciate any suggestions you guys have to help me be successful with this.

I look forward to meeting you guys and learning about your experiences with your furry friends.

In case I didn't link my chart to my signature, here is it again.. PHATTIE

:)

Louellen likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. The SS links works fine in your signature.
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No need for a prescription food. Is Phattie eating the same about at the same time? If not that can cause variations In BG. Alos, your SS says fur shots more than once. That can effect BG since lantus is a depot insulin and it take a couple of days for a dose to have be full effective and thus missing a dose can cause higher BG for a day or so.

3. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Hi Kelley, welcome to "the board", sorry you had to come here because it means you have a sick kitty, which by the way, I LOVE her name! And I also LOVE the fact that you adopted a shelter kitty!!!
    As my vet told me, it takes a little time for their body to learn what to do with insulin, and because there are so many changes going on it creates stress, stress raises the BG. If she was always fed dry food and was allowed to graze, then is suddenly changed to all wet food and limited feelings, that's a BIG stress factor for a cat.

When my Goof and I started this journey, I can't even begin to tell you how overwhelmed I was, how many tears were shed and meltdowns were had. But, it'll get better, really it will. I'm glad to hear that you found a good vet, I was very lucky in that my vet was already very well experienced with diabetic cats at the time Goof was diagnosed, he talked me thru those awful meltdowns.

4. Kelley & Phattie

Kelley & Phattie Member

Hi Larry and Mogmom!

Nice to meet you both. :)

Larry, I switched to Low Carb soft food two weeks ago. She used to only get soft food as a treat in the morning and when I got home from work. She loves it, but doesn't understand that she doesn't need to eat it all in one sitting like it is a treat..

Mogmom, I love the name Goof, that is original. Thanks for the words of wisdom, it is very nice to know that it won't always be such a roller coaster. Also that I am not the only one that has panicked. :)

Tonight she was low, so after asking on another board, I skipped her shot.. This is going to take some getting used to. At least she is a good sport about all of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.