Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mrsbatch, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsbatch

mrsbatch New Member

Hi everyone
    Thank you for this wonderful forum and I wish you all the best

Just found out 11-28 our six year old diabetic , I am also diabetic so do understand somewhat
    But know I have a lot to learn

Vet said let's try diet change first to DM both dry and wet, which is what Remy eats now
    Just not DM, I read on another site Never give diabetic cat Dry DM and only give them
    Fancy feast classics so I am confused any thoughts on this?

Vet said let's give switch to DM one month to see if diet change works fingers crossed
    She gave us strips to place in litter that change color based on high sugar in urine

I look forward to your comments
    Thank you all again

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Sorry your kitty has been diagnosed with diabetes, but you've come to the right place! It's good to start with a diet change. It's possible that the switch to a low carb canned food will drop your kitty's glucose significantly. Many of us use Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies Pate, or 9 Lives Meaty Pates. Just avoid the ones with gravy, they are to high in carbs. Also avoid dry food as most are also too high in carbs. Good luck and keep asking questions!

3. mrsbatch

mrsbatch New Member

Much appreciated! They hate the DM food and not thrilled about FF Classics either do you think it is OK to add alittle
    water from a can of People Food- Tuna in water??

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Yes tuna water is fine to add. Also try warming up the FF a bit and stir it good. That makes the smell stronger and sometimes that gets them to eating.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Our 'bible' on feline nutrition is from Dr Lisa Pierson who specilizes in feline nutrition.
    Her site is Cat Info. Have a read and see what you think.
    I changed all of mine (13!) over to plain Friskies pates except Mixed Grill.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. mrsbatch

mrsbatch New Member

Any one ever hear of natural product called
    VETiONX® Dia-IonX™ - Healthy Blood Sugar Support for Cats

I am diabetic2 myself and the amount of info and confusion is overwhelming

7. mrsbatch

mrsbatch New Member

Thanks so so much I will check it out

8. mrsbatch

mrsbatch New Member

good point! will try that tomorrow