Hi everyone. I am so glad a resource like this exists because I am really overwhelmed with my cat's new diagnosis and am the type of person who really likes to learn as much as I can about issues so thank you all for being here. I've written a novel so I do apologize but writing things out makes me feel better about everything. Anyway, our lil baby Moo was diagnosed with diabetes last weekend. Me and my husband took her to the emergency vet last Sunday for a suspected UTI which was confirmed and then treated but they also found she was experiencing glucosuria. They checked her blood and found elevated levels. I talked to our normal vet who wanted us to hold off on starting insulin until she could check her in a non-stressed state but unfortunately, everything is coming back as indicative of diabetes and we've been given the green light to start treating. Prior to obvious symptoms from her UTI, Moo has always just been our silly lil Moo. She is not overweight (approx. 8.5lbs) and has been fine since we adopted her two years ago. In hindsight, however, it does appear that she may have been drinking excessively but we have another cat so it wasn't easy to tell who was doing what. I isolated Moo for 24hrs this week and found that she drank around 350ml of water in a 24hr period so that is her untreated baseline for liquid intake, a metric we can hopefully use to help gauge her progress. So today, I got all our supplies but don't plan to begin her shots until Sunday where I will be home all day to monitor (my husband doesn't feel comfortable enough yet to do it alone). The plan is Lantus, 1 unit, twice daily until we can get her in at the vet again to have the Freestyle Libre attached. I am aware we would benefit from our own glucometer to do on the spot checks but for the initial in-home curves, this seemed like a good choice although I've read that not everyone has had good results. I also purchased a case of the Fancy Feast classic pate cans but don't plan to start that until after seeing the vet since we were instructed to start at 1 unit twice daily and from reading here, I've learned that if you switch to a low carb diet, the initial starting dose should be lower...so I'll wait to switch from kibble then. I don't really know how to develop an intuition with how much insulin to increase/decrease and am hoping my vet can help to spell this out for me because right now I feel really overwhelmed and scared. I have so many fears and then start thinking about all the costs involved, especially since we travel and will need to board Moo...it's just so devastating. I am hoping we managed to discover this relatively early in her disease progression because she hasn't exhibited any major weightloss and am really hoping we can regulate her and get her into remission, especially since she's on the Lantus. I'm currently experiencing information overload so am naturally feeling very anxious but would love to hear any tips you guys have for new parents of diabetic kitties.