Newbie's big dilemma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by evakot, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evakot

evakot Member

Hi All,

I have not posted in a while, because my Big Kitty was in remission (or as it now seems on a honeymoon rather) for 8 months. He was first diagnosed in January 2010 and after only 2 insulin shots and a complete switch to low carb diet he went back to being in non-diabetic range and did very well until now. Unfortunately, about a week ago I noticed him drinking and peeing more and he lost his appetite. I tested him and sure enough- he is back in diabetic numbers. He ranged from 280 to 390 for the last few days and I don't have another ace up my sleeve such as lowering the carbs in diet, because he is on Janet's & Binky approved wet food already. We took him to the vet yesterday to be sure there is no concurrent infection or other issues going on, but other than the high blood glucose he was fine. So, it seems we should start him on insuline (the vet agreed to prescribe Lantus, even though she said she has no experience with it).

Here is my big dilemma: In 11 days I am leaving on a 6 day trip abroad, that I can't cancel. Is it better to start my cat on insuline now, and then have a 6day break, or wait until I get back, which is going to be almost 3 weeks from now??? I considered all intermediete options of having someone administer insuline while I am gone, but knowing my cat that is just not going to happen. There is no way on Earth he will let a stranger poke his ear, and I'm not going to let someone shoot him blindly, especially when my cat will be alone at home a lot. I thought about putting him in a kennel for the time I am gone, but I KNOW he will be so stressed there he won't eat anything and they will have to force-feed him, etc. He is just one of these cats who don't do well outside the home and with stragers.

So- I don't know which is better- start the treatment now and in 11 days stop for 5 days, or wait for almost 3 weeks? Is there any danger to his organs with the numbers in upper 300s? Would I be decreasing a chance of another remission by waiting this long? Is starting and stopping injections dangerous?

Please share your thoughts,

Thank you,

Eva

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Maybe, if you start now, you just might get another remission started.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am with Hope, maybe if you start now he can be on his way to another remission. This is a very tricky situation, not even a vet tech can come pet sit and check his numbers while you are away? Are any of us close that can help? Did the vet thoroughly check Big Kitty's mouth, maybe he just needs a dental? You will figure out the right thing.
    I know you are going abroad...any possible way he can go with you?

4. evakot

evakot Member

Jill,

Thank you for your response.

No, I can't take him with me.... :sad: I didn't think about asking a vet tech- is that a common thing to do?

Also- your question about dental intrigued me- the vet report did say he has tartar and gum inflammation- what is the link to diabetes-???

Eva

5. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Some people here have had luck getting a vet tech to come to their house to take care of their diabetic kitties when they are away(they earn extra $ that way) and you know Big Kitty will be taken care of. You may need to show them how to test.
    Also, I have seen on here that having a dental done can bring down the bg's substantially. That would be great if that would work for you. It is not a guarantee, but the mouth/ teeth problems can lead to higher numbers. I can not think of the direct correlation, I am guessing it could be pain or possible infection from it.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

aside from all the other ideas that might help, i would start now and stop if necessary. he will only get sicker quicker without help. at least this will give him a 5 day break. what insulin are you using..not that it matters but curious

7. evakot

evakot Member

We will be using Lantus. Going back to the vet tomorrow to see if there can be a relationship between Big Kitty's gums being inflammed and his spike in numbers...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well i was just thinking lantus has a little staying power...not much, but better than nothing.
    hope you find a suitable solution.

9. evakot

evakot Member

Well, getting a vet tech would be good from the standpoint of having someone with medical knowledge see Big Kitty when I'm gone, but it doesn't solve the problem of my cat not letting strangers touch him. He is a big and strong cat (17lb) and when he gets mad or scared he sratches, bites, or runs away and hides. So, I think even a vet tech would have a horrible time testing him... :YMSIGH:

I am leaning towards stopping insuline for the time i'm gone, but will ask a vet tomorrow (going back to the vet to get the teeth checked).

Thank you for the suggestion about teeth- I did not know about it.

E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.