Newbies...Me & Socks in Canada

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patricia Chenell, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia Chenell

Patricia Chenell New Member

Hi there,
    I am new here. Socks is my 14-year-old tuxedo boy. This is his 2nd go-around with diabetes. First time it lasted only a couple of months. About 4 years ago he was diagnosed when I became concerned about excessive drinking & peeing & weight loss. At that time vet prescribed Lantus, and Hill's prescription food (dry). Next appt we saw vet's part-time partner. She referred me to a site online to do some research! I learned the need for wet food! Switched to Hill's prescription canned. One day Socks had what looked to me like a hypo episode. Gave him honey and went to vet... long story short, he went into full remission until 6 months ago. He has been on canned food since his first diagnosis 4 yrs ago. This time, the insulin doesn't seem to be working. Vet has him up to 5 units of Lantus as of yesterday. Also yesterday they taught me how to home test (!) but in process discovered that the meter I bought is very inaccurate. Got my money back from store and came here before making another move. ☺

Attached Files:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to a fellow Canadian! :) It's unfortunate that you had to come here but it's the best place for help and support. I suggest you repost on the main health forum and answer these questions over there:
    1. What dose of Lantus was he started on 6 months ago?
    2. Has the vet been doing curves in clinic and raising the dose a full unit at a time?
    3. What specific wet food are you feeding him?
    4. What specific meter are you using?
    5. How often have you tested his blood glucose so far?
    6. When in relation to his insulin shot did you test his blood glucose?
    We can explore each of these questions in more detail on the health forum.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  3. Patricia Chenell

4. Patricia Chenell

Thank you! I will go there & do that!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Another hello from a fellow Canadian. Will look for your post over on the health forum.

Patricia Chenell likes this.
  6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Yet another Canadian. Hello from the Kawarthas. Love the little black nose.

Patricia Chenell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.