Newby Day 1

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sutty1, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

Hi have just found out our 10 year old male cat Max has diabetes.Have started insulin doses today.Found Myrtles story 2006 helpful.We weren't committed and may not move to being committed but have decided to give it a go one dose at a time. We love him to pieces and are trying to get our head around what it means. We have a 2 month overseas trip planned in 6 weeks so lots to think about. We have never been overseas and we dont know how the housesitters will manage .Early days.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Reason for edit: A little more info...
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be. This is do-able!

Here are thethings you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

3. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

Thanks.We are in Australia and have seen a list of supplies and foods to look for here in Oz.All advice appreciated.

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hello from WA :) For Aussies the best meter is probably the performa acucheck. I use the optium Neo myself but the strips are more expensive. Unless you know a diabetic that can get you cheap strips with their diabetes card you don't want to be buying strips from the chemist. You can find them on eBay, shipped within Oz, for about half the price.

Our insulin options are more limited too but we can get lantus and levemir. Caninsulin is generally not so good for kitties but is widely prescribed.

Any idea what has caused Max's diabetes? Has he been on steroids, is he overweight or is he just unlucky? Don't know which state you're in but I know that in Melbourne (mum lives there and also has a diabetic cat) there is a boarding place that will look after diabetic cats. Let me know if those details might be useful for you.

Sarah Smith and Critter Mom like this.
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome from Sydney.
    Serryn (Vyktors Mum) has given you some good ideas for Australian use. I use the Abbott Optium glucometer and have found it good. I can buy 100 strips online for $30-35.
    Another idea about who can look after Max while you are O/S .........would your vet look after him for you.? Our vet has a boarding section for his clients and he takes diabetic cats. There are other vet places who take in boarders and diabetics too in the city and I am sure the country areas.
    It is always hardest in the beginning while you are learning about everything.....You will soon find it old hat and will manage fine. There are many knowledgeable people here who can help and advise you. We have all been there and had diabetic cats so understand all you are going through.
    Good luck and hope to hear from you again soon :)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Reason for edit: more info
    Sarah Smith and Critter Mom like this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add Australia and maybe the territory/province to your signature. That'll help folks tailor suggestions (when they can) to your area of the world.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  8. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

have done , thanks for that tip

9. Tia's Mom

Tia's Mom Member

Hi, I know how you feel. I am so sorry you are through this. We have a 14 year old cat diagnosed last week and we have a trip yo Europe in August. I feel I will do my best for her but she will be boarded at a kennel run by a nurse. I am going to try and familiarize her with the kennel prior and go from there. Unfortunately she is going to have to fit into our lives to have a future.

10. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

Hi are you based in Australia? Is your cat a siamese? I don't know that we can afford two months in a boarding kennel and I think my cat would hate it. Max is constantly outside. Thankyou for sharing with me. How long are you in Europe, we are in Italy from July 25- Aug 8 , and Paris for a few days before that. I could certainly do without the extra stress. I work part time and Im struggling with the committment and the changes we've had to implement.

11. Tia's Mom

Tia's Mom Member

Hi, I am from Canada. We are travelling to Ireland in August. We also travel on weekends so I too am conflicted.
    If Tia doesn't adapt well to boarding I am unsure what we will do. The place she will be boarded is very reasonable $10.00 a day

12. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Why not ask at your vet if any of the vet techs would be willing to pet sit your cat? Or try to find pet sitters in your area with experience or willing to be trained on taking care of a diabetic cat.

13. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

We are travelling to Canada first (end of June early July) and also to Ireland in August. We share alot in common....VERY reasonable cost over here we'd be looking at $20 a day for regular boarding, without the insulin and treatment costs. Away for 8 weeks. will post more later, off to work now.

14. sutty1

sutty1 New Member

May well do that, we have housesitters who could treat , but alot more to it. At the end of the day we dont want our cat living a life to keep him alive that compromises all he loves to do. I appreciate the help on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.