Newcomer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lazylady77, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazylady77

lazylady77 New Member

:coffee: Good afternoon, everyone. I got the name of this site from the book Sugarbabies by Randi E. Golub. I highly recommend it as it gives so much information and is extremely well-written. [No--I don't own stock in the book--ha] I have two absolutely wonderful, loving cats. Litter brothers, Pinky and Izzy. They will be 8 in October. Last fall I took them in for their annual well-kitty exam and was floored with the news that my Izzy had pancreatitis. Vet put him on a special diet and I was hoping all would be okay. Took him in for a check-up early this spring and was told that now he has diabetes. I'm still in a state of shock. His BC was still pretty low and vet thought we could get away with not giving him insulin at that time but changed his diet to high protein and low carb. Recommended was Fancy Feast Classic for the wet and Royal Canin Diabetic formula for the wet. I've been giving both my cats that now since the spring. Then, to cap everything, Izzy started gagging and coughing terribly. I thought he had a hair ball. Brought him to vet and was told that now he has asthma. My head is still in a spin from all of this. Vet put him on Flovent twice a day and ventolin as needed for rescue, using the Aerokat feline aerosol chamber for delivery. We are now settling into a workable daily routine and things are going quite well. His BC was down quite a bit at last check-up and I'm hoping that when I take him in after the Labor Day holiday it will be down even more.
    But--a very interesting thing has happened that I want to share with other asthma cat owners. Izzy used to throw up in his carrier every time I took him to the vet, so one trip she gave him a Cerenia tablet to control the vomiting. The big surprise is that it also stopped his asthma attacks!!!!! I now give him Cerenia every other day and so far no attacks. Wonderful. I would recommend asking your vet about giving it a try.
    I'm so glad I found this forum. Good luck to everyone from me and Izzy and Pinky.

2. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to the forum. My Ozy has pancreatitis and diabetes. He used to have asthma pretty bad and grain free food stopped the asthma issues; he switched to grain free almost a year ago.

Pancreatitis has been a difficult problem for Ozy.

Here is a primer that may help you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=83108

donaleen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.