Newly Diagnosed 10/17/16 at noon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LizzyGodiva, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzyGodiva

LizzyGodiva Member

Hello! Lizzy Godiva is my 14 yr old NFC and has been ill ever since a drug Baytril was given to her for an inner ear infection. She's now permanently blind in her right eye. I think because of the steroids given to her she now has diabetes. We noticed 3.5 pound weight loss, excessive thirst & of course extra peeing to go along with it!

At noon yesterday she tested at 586 & was given 1.5cc of Novolin N. I was told as I tested throughout the day to administer more than usual in order to get her numbers down.
    I listed all the times & #'s but it's on another thread I think.

This morning at 7am after not eating she tested at 326 so I gave her 1.5cc Novolin N and fed her. So I'll see how the numbers look in 2 hours.
    I won't give any more then 2 injections total today & only if she needs it. It scared me that her numbers dropped so quickly yesterday. I was feeding her dry food just to get her up to 120.

Do I need to post all the facts & figures here too? Would that help?

Thanks for any help. It was so much to try to understand yesterday and I've gotten little sleep.
    I'm using an AlphaTrak2 meter that's for animals & insulin is Novolin N.

I feel so badly for my cats ears. I'm getting the hang of it but tried different techniques and that lancet device ended up going through Lizzys ear and drawing lots of blood from myself! Ugh!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Insulin is does in units, not cc.
    If you really injected 1 1/2 cc your cat would be dead. There is on about seven 1 1/2 cc doses in a 10 ml vial. I suspect that you injected 1 1/2 units. There are 100 units of N insulin in 1 cc
    The human insulin N/NPH is frequently not the best since it only lasts 8-10 hours.
    Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.

It is good that you are home testing. Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    There are caretakers here who well help you setup the spreadsheet if yo need that.

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

3. LizzyGodiva

LizzyGodiva Member

Yes I've been testing and have a chart noting everything. I had to be taught everything for at least an hour. I was given everything I needed at the office. She has ALWAYS refused to eat moist food of any kind. She likes cooked prawns, plain chicken cooked on the barbecue, broccoli, peanut butter. So I'm thinking of maybe making her food?
    She eats Royal Canin Maine Coone dry which is actually quite healthy compared to many others.
    I've been testing every 4 hours and only test 2 hours after her eating.

Novolin N was what he had on hand and there's no way I can afford $200 for insulin. I need more test strips and those are $60

The Dr was saying to inject 2 units instead of 1 1/2 if the readings are too high. She's actually responded quite well I think.
    She had a normal reading over 12 hours. It's only just now that she is 263.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When you report BG you give the time after shot the reading was taken. We use the notation:
    AMPS - BG measure before morning shot
    PMPS - BG before evening shot
    For between shot yo use +x and then the measured BG where x is the hours after the shot that the BG was taken.
    The lowest BG for N is typically 4-5 hours after the shot.
    Dose is based on the lowest BG between shots. You really do not want to go below about 50 on a pet meter like the AlphaTrak
    If you change to low-carb food insulin needs should go down and thus dose will likely have to be reduced to prevent BG from going too low between shots

LizzyGodiva likes this.
  5. Alexi

Alexi Member

I have put a reply in your other thread - probably best to try to keep everything together in one thread.

LizzyGodiva likes this.
  6. LizzyGodiva

LizzyGodiva Member

That helps SO VERY much! I was just writing everything down on a blank spreadsheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.