Newly diagnosed 4/5/2019 first day home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Btwinny, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

So glad to have found this forum!! My girl Scout is 8 and we went to the vet because her behavior was off. She lost 5 lbs in 5 months (she was 20lbs. We didn't notice). Her glucose on the blood work report was 539. I started insulin last night and started home testing today. So here is her stats from today using a human BG tester:
    11:00am feed wet food, gave insulin 2u
    4:00 test 196 (finally removed all dry food, replaced with low carb wet)
    7:00 test 215
    9:00 test about 300Gave insulin dropped to 1.5u under a recommendation on a different group.
    11:00 test 353.

I know it's the first day testing but is that jump normal after giving insulin? I know I went early on the 9:00 dosage. I wanted to get on a 9am/9pm routine and assumed it would be ok to go early since I was scaling back on dose size.

I am open to all advice and input! Thank you.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.
    Can you tell us what type of insulin you are using and what type of meter please?
    ALWAYS test before EVERY shot to see if the number is high enough to shoot. We also recommend testing during the cycle as well to see how low the insulin is taking your cat.
    It is better to stick to giving insulin 12 hours apart. I know you wanted to get to the 9:9 timeframe but giving it 2 hours early can act as an increase. Hopefully you can stick to the 9:9 tomes now.
    Well done home testing. It is the best way to keep your kitty safe.
    We are here to help you. Keep asking questions.

3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

It is the human tester Reilion (?) from Walmart. Scout is on ProZinc. She was such a trooper today!!! The insulin shots I don't think she even knows I'm doing but the ear tests are tricky. I had to prick 3 times the last one. ☹️☹️ . Not enough blood or took too long. It's definitely been an overwhelming day and a half. I have 3 cats who have always free feed so it's going to be a challenge. Research on food, learning the routine, figuring out the numbers and terms.

4. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Oops... And the vet prescribed 2U of the PZ.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad you dropped the dose. The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. Good job testing right away. The tests will get easier as her ears grow new capillaries.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks for the information.
    If I were you I would set up my signature and spreadsheet. The signature gives us information about you and kitty and it means we don't have to keep asking you questions. It will then appear below all your posts. Have a look below mine.
    To find your signature, go to the top right of this page and hover over your user name. Click and

Choose signature and then tell us yours and kitty's name , date of diagnosis, type of insulin and meter. Type of food fed, any other illness or medications, country you live in . Then save.

To set up the spreadsheet follow this link. If you have any trouble, shout and someone will help you get set up. We always look at the SS when we help you.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

8. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Thanks!!! I'm kind of computer illiterate so I'll have my hubby set it up in a couple days. I am writing everything down tho..... Date/time/test BG results/how much PZ given.

I do get confused from time to time. I'm in 2 Facebook groups and everyone is soooo helpful but I've seen a couple different recommendations regarding the order of the routine. I understand to not let kitty eat the 2 hours prior to the shot and to test her BG right before the test. However.... Does she eat after test and before insulin? Or after insulin? Even tho I pulled food 2 hours before she wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat. What happens in that instance? Her BG was 249 so I certainly wasn't worried about a crash. I just don't know if it's bad to give insulin on an empty belly.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

We aren't a Facebook group but a pier review forum. I'm not sure where else you are getting information from but the members here are very experienced. I think you need to find one you like and stick to it otherwise you will get confused.
    The order is to test feed and shoot. I am not experienced with Prozinc but I will give you the link to our Prozinc forum where there are many experienced people to help you. Also if you look at the top of the Prozinc page you will see several yellow stickies which are full of information about Prozinc and it's use. I would ask your questions over there. Good luck.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

10. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Thanks for replying . I followed the link a little bit ago and I did post a thread there.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.