Newly Diagnosed: 6yo, 22lb Brody--07/30 OTJ!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drdrbrody, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drdrbrody

drdrbrody Member

Hi all, I've been reading through this forum for the last week or two and I'd like to finally introduce myself (ourselves). Everything I've read has been so unbelievably helpful, so thank you all for the passion and love you put into this site!

Brody was diagnosed two weeks ago after I noticed that he had been drinking a lot more water for 3-4 weeks and his labs came back with a BG of 475. We got him on insulin a few days later and so far he's been doing well! The switch from low-cal, high-carb dry food to low-carb, low-cal wet food was a bit of a tough one and there was a few days or so where his calorie intake was <100kcal/day, which as a 22lb cat, worried me quite a bit! I think we've finally hit on a winning food choice (Wellness is expensive and fatty, but at least it's low carb!), so I'm definitely panicking less!

It's been exactly 2 weeks since his diagnosis, and a week and a half since we started 2x daily 1U Lantus and regular BG reads, but Brody is already an old pro! He's figured out that if he comes to me to get his ear pricked, he gets his breakfast/dinner quicker! His pre-shot BG has dropped down into the 150-200 range for the last few days, so I'm optimistic that he'll be easy to regulate! Saturday is our first all-day curve day, so wish us luck.

As you can tell from the title, Brody is a biiiiiiig boi. He was rescued by a friend from the ASPCA four years ago at almost 28lbs! He came to live with me a year and a half ago at 24lbs, and while the diabetes diagnosis isn't exactly a surprise, we were hoping to have a bit more time to get his weight down. The vet and I are hopeful that with an ultra low carb diet and responsible weight loss, Brody can be the svelte, 14lb cuddle-monster that he was born to be. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry nobody (including myself) have reached out and welcomed you to the group. A big wecome to a wonderful community of people who know whats it's like to be overwhelmed, confused and scared with the diagnosis. It's a very steep learning curve so please reach out either on the main health board or the lantus board with any questions you may have. There are no dumb questions as it's how we all learn. Well done that you have your signature and spreadsheet already set up. See you on the lantus board. Brody's a handsome boy.

3. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Welcome. It sounds like you've got everything sorted out so well done! My girl was big for her size when she was first diagnosed but the low carb diet really did help to get her weight down. Also, once the blood glucose is regulated you will find that Brody won't be as hungry and hopefully that will help keep the weight off too. Everyone here is super helpful so feel free to ask anything.

4. drdrbrody

drdrbrody Member

Thank you so much both of you! Everyone has been super welcoming and helpful :)

And @Myrtlesmum you're right! He's definitely been less ravenously hungry lately and has already lost 1 lb in the last 4 weeks. Progress!

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

OMgosh, you are very welcome here. I am also very sorry that your post wasn't responded to right away. That doesn't happen very often here on the board!
    Best wishes as you work with Brody on his treatment and Idjit sez he's got his paws crossed that Brody can join him, and others, at The Falls (off the you know what, not jinxing here)

drdrbrody likes this.
  6. drdrbrody

drdrbrody Member

Thank you all for your warm welcome. We just got the news on Saturday that Brody is in remission! We'll keep measuring weekly, but for now the vet is confident he's diet controlled! Couldn't have gotten through the first few weeks without all the help and support from the people on this forum!

7. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

That is SO awesome I am thrilled for you both. Very well done, stay on top of it though and should you need us you know where to find us. Drop by every now and again and let us know how you are both doing. :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

drdrbrody likes this.
  8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Idjit sez, welcome to the Falls Brody! This is very good news and like Deirdre said, we are here if you need us. :otj::woot::joyful::D:otj:

drdrbrody likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.