Newly diagnosed and confused at +12 nadir

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rosie & Bailey, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! My name is Rosie, and my little Bailey was diagnosed in July with a BG of 371 and clinical symptoms of diabetes. (Well, I'm technically her grandma since she is my daughter's baby)

Our vet recommended this board, and I have learned so much already! Thank you all!

Bailey was started on 1/2 unit of Lantus when BG>220, once a day because we were scared to give her insulin at night. Her clinical symptoms disappeared rather quickly, and she has gained a little weight. She was originally on dry food, and she is now on a strictly wet food diet (Crave, but need to switch her to something cheaper).
    Recently, our vet was considering having us start dosing her twice a day because of too many high morning readings. I recently attempted a BG curve, and it seems that Bailey hits her nadir at +12. I am still waiting to hear back from our vet as to how she would like for us to proceed with this new information since we were not testing her at night before.

Also, I have been switching around with meters because our vet felt the Prime ReliOn was unreliable to use for decision making after doing a comparison in her office. We got an Alphatrak, but we are trying out the Petsure strips because we simply can't afford the AT strips. The Petsure seem to vary between 10-30 points below the AT numbers. We haven't tried using the AT Turbo code (04) which the Petsure folks claim will bring us closer to the AT numbers. We will probably try that today with our last remaining AT strips.

I recently attempted a BG curve (sort of), and it seems that Bailey hits her nadir at +12. I would love to hear your thoughts on how to help Bailey.

Thank you all for taking the time to help newbies like us!
    Rosie

Bailey's spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AgoKHedAX4BwSckKW5OChUI_AGnehkvUktUlBdxnylg/edit?usp=sharing

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Rosie and Bailey. Being a kitteh's granny is great, isn't it? And, how terrific that your vet recommended this board! Good work getting the spreadsheet going, that information is going to help experienced Lantus users offer input.
    I suggest you create a signature so that Bailey's pertinent information is available with each of your posts. Here's a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Then, post your concerns on the Lantus forum so that the members who use that insulin can look at the data and respond. If you like you can just copy your "intro" message and paste it into a new message on the Lantus forum: LANTUS
    Edit: Be sure to read all the information in the yellow tagged "info" and "stickies" in the Lantus forum. This is valuable information and will be to your benefit to be as educated as possible as you travel on the feline diabetes journey. Another link that will help you since you are a new user: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/updated-tips-for-new-members.173572/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
  3. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Good morning Lou, and thanks for taking the time to respond! I am thankful beyond words for this board!
    I love being Bailey's granny, and I wish I could spoil her more like a good granny should. I hate pricking her little ears, but I know it's whats best for her.
    Thanks for advising me on the signature and the Lantus forum. I apparently had put the info into the profile page instead. Hopefully, I did it right this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.