Newly diagnosed and having problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris C, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Hi everyone -

My name is Chris and my 14 y.o. kitty Angel was diagnosed about a month ago with diabetes and suspected cardiomyopathy. The plan was to try to get the diabetes under control first, then look into the cardiomyopathy.

I have an Alpha Trak meter and a Relion Confirm meter. I'm on disability and my funds are limited; I figured that even though two meters are an additional initial expense, it would help keep testing strip costs down over the long run.

Angel's on PZI insulin, 1 unit two times a day. I was giving him the injections after his morning and evening meals. I would test his blood sugar prior to his meal.

Over the last couple of days he's been eating a lot less, and today he hasn't eaten at all. His last BG reading was 400 (about a half hour ago). Can I still give him his insulin dose even though he hasn't eaten?

There's so much about all of this that confuses me. Any help or clarification is appreciated. I don't know what to do and I'm concerned that he may need to go to the emergency vet, and I have absolutely no funds to do so.

2. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I am so sorry if I have posted this to the wrong thread! Please forgive this newbie.:cat:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Have you tried feeding anything that Angel might show some interest in? He needs to eat so you can give him insulin. Some people have good luck with pureed meat and broth baby food (no seasonings).

Little food, no insulin and high BGs are a recipe for complications. You'll have to try syringe feeding him food and water so you can get insulin into him.

Please post any other questions you have on the main health forum. Put the blue question mark icon from the left of the thread title bar on your post's title and use the word "urgent" in your request for help. It's not a red 911 situation right now but you want your post to get attention. You need to get on top of this right away, especially since you can't afford the ER.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Here is the video we recommend to help you assist feed your cat. Cats can not go very long without food and it is important that Angel get food along with whatever insulin he needs.

5. Chris C

Chris C New Member

Thank you for the responses! I had some Fancy Feast chicken classic and I managed to syringe feed a little. He didn't eat it on his own, however. Then I ran out to the store and got several jars of Beech Nut chicken baby food. He ate most of a jar by himself!

Now I can give him his insulin.

I'm going to watch the video. I have so much to learn.

Dyana and Sharon14 like this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad he ate the baby food. Did you syringe it or did he eat it on his own? It's not nutritionally complete for a cat but it'll do at a time like this. Keep syringing in the Fancy Feast too.

7. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I had to syringe the Fancy Feast, but he ate the chicken baby food on his own. I'm going to give him some more Fancy Feast in a bit.

He ate the Fancy Feast classic chicken quite well for a while, then suddenly seemed to tire of it. Then
    I offered him some Friskiest salmon pate - he ate that happily once then didn't want it any longer. Tonight he still wouldn't eat the Fancy Feast so I had to syringe feed it to him.

He did drink water on his own tonight.

8. Kris & Teasel

All good things. Keep it up until he's feeling better and eating on his own. It's great that you're home testing BG before each meal. We can help you get on top of his numbers if you would consider setting up a spreadsheet like we use here to log all your test results.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    There are techies on here who will do it for you if needed. We can offer advice on dosing, etc. to keep Angel safe and help you avoid expensive vet bills.

9. Chris C

Chris C New Member

I would really appreciate it. I'm going to set up a spreadsheet for Angel.

I tried to syringe feed him more Fancy Feast. Got some into him but he really fought me on it.

10. Kris & Teasel

Give the baby food if he'll eat that. Right now it's water and calories he needs - worry about cat diet later.

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Chris and Angel!
    Maury and I are in the same boat. Have you tried another flavour of FF or Friskies? If you make a post on the Main Health forum, you will get more eyes on the eating issue :) and in return, more ideas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.