Newly Diagnosed and Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Okie, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okie

Okie New Member

I was an early adopter of social media, so the firstthing I do when I need information is go looking for others who have similar experiences. Which a couple internet searches led me here.

First off, I never really was a "cat person". But I married a guy who likes cats, had one when we met and convinced me shortly after he moved in to adopt a second, Boots. Actually, husband told me "cats are social creatures" and it's "best if they have a friend". So, off we go to find a playmate for his cat.

Boots lost a lot of weight a couple months ago, which according to my husband usually meant the cat didn't have long left. When he started urinating outside the box, we decided it was time to get him checked out. His test results showed diabetes. I'm at work and don't have them, but one test result was in the 590 range & vet said mid 100s was normal. I brought him home so we could discuss next steps, and now that we have, I'm supposed to call the vet to schedule a glucose test and get training on insulin injections.

From the info I've gleaned, it's better to transition him to wet food before the test. Yes? I'm stopping by the store tonight to pick some up, and plan to start feeding them tonight. We have another cat, Simba, so feeding separately isn't a viable option. Should we leave some dry food out, at least initially? Or just stop dry food entirely?

How long should I wait to schedule the glucose test? I need to call the vet back soon, plus with the craziness of the holidays I need to get it done while I have time to listen and ask questions.

Also making my shopping list. Glucose meter, lancets & test strips. Anything else? Should I start trying to test now before his glucose test, or wait and have the vet show me how to do it? I've read the articles & watched a few videos, but not sure I'm comfortable with it yet.

And I know it sounds callous, but what are the financial implications? The vet gave the "it really just depends..." spiel, and I know there are a lot of factors at play, but we also need to make sure we're prepared for this. We also have 4 dogs who are bonded to the cats too, so how they're impacted by a sick cat is also a factor. They already threw a fit when I took their kitty to the vet, so repeated vet visits are going to cause them stress, too.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome.

There are a few things you can do to help control cost. The initial outlay of money will be a bit up there with vet cost, equip, meds, food etc.

Food: Friskies pate or Fancy Feast Classic Pate is what most use here. No Rx food is necessary. No food with gravies or sauces as they are high in carbs. Of course no dry if its at all possible.

Meter: Pet meter is not necessary. Human meter is fine, most of us use them here. Find one that needs the smallest amount of blood. 0.3 size. ADW on line has a Arkray Sensor 01 that is affordable. Its the strips that cost the most overall, over the term of the diabetes.

Insulin: Vet might try to steer you to N insulin which is very cheap but very short acting and usually not effective long term. Next is Vetsulin, some people have good results, some don't. It is a short acting insulin which means it hits fast and doesn't last long for most. Prozinc is better than Vetsulin, I don't know about the cost though. The best is Lantus and Levemir. They are long acting. Most of us get it from Marks Marine in Canada as it usually half price than in the US. A box of 5 pens (total of 15 cc) will last quite a while if kept in the fridge. The vials (most vets seem to suggest is only 10 cc). So the pens are a better price.

Syringes: you can pick up at walmart, target etc. The syringes with the 1/2 unit marks is the best. Some states require a prescription for them. Walmart's brand for a box of 100 are usually under $15.

Once you have everything most of it will last for many months. Then you work it out so you restock/buy one thing a month.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The best thing for both cats is to be transitioned to a low carb canned food...it's important for Boots, but it'll also decrease Simba's chances of developing diabetes, as well as solving the problem of separate feeding!

Changing the food to low carb should help bring the numbers down....it should only take a few days...a week at most....but you should also know that tests done at the vet's office are unreliable due to vet stress. That can cause the glucose to go up as much as 200 points. You might want to ask if he's doing a fructosamine test. That gives an average blood glucose over the past 2-3 weeks (and other than at diagnosis, there's no reason to do a fructosamine again if you home test)

To a certain extent, he's right, but we can help with all kinds of tips on controlling costs. The main cost is going to be strips for the meter, so when you choose one, pick one that has strips you can afford going forward.

4. Okie

Okie New Member

Thanks for the tips.

There's no ideal way for us to feed separately, so they'll both be eating the same food. And from what I've read, it'll be better for both.

My Walmart didn't have Fancy Feast so I got Meow Mix that, according to a chart I found on here, is ok. The box said 3 to 4 of those little cans per day, but they barely ate one full one each for dinner. Part of it might be because they had free access to dry food and they've grazed all day. Tomorrow morning will tell, that's when they usually start screaming at us to fill the bowl.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Okie and Boots, welcome to FDMB. You have already received excellent information about food, diabetes supplies and costs. I am going to provide some links that will help you moving forward. You have already created a signature...super! Be sure to add information as you go along, such as the kind of insulin you will be using and the dosage, low carb wet food, Boots' age, weight etc. You can read other members' signatures to see what kind of info they have provided.
    We use a spreadsheet here to record insulin injections and the BG readings you will be getting when you begin testing. This data is very important, you will be able to see how the insulin is working for Boots and help keep him safe from a hypo event. Other members will be able to view this data to make recommendations on dosage and see how Boots is doing.
    Here is a link to the forum area for spreadsheet instructions and understanding the grid: SPREADSHEET
    Another forum here contains an Index of useful information, and very important information about how to handle a hypo and what to have in your hypo toolbox (like a first aid kit). I hope you never need the hypo information, but better informed and prepared than not. Here is a link to FAQS
    You should start posting in the Main Health forum now, with additional questions and concerns, so that more members can meet you and Boots, and give you input. We are here to help. :cat:

6. Okie

Okie New Member

Thanks. I have the spreadsheet saved to my drive, will add a link to my sig.

Idjit's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.