Newly diagnosed and no way to control food.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpookyLuv, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyLuv

SpookyLuv New Member

My cat, Spooky, has just been diagnosed with diabetes. My husband and I live with his parents who have six other cats and they keep several food bowls full at all times. I have no choice in the matter. I haven't even spoken to the vet yet, I should be receiving a call very soon. I've been reading up on feline diabetes and I know that it's important for the cat to exercise; however Spooky will not play with a toy and when he does, he just chews on it until it breaks. How can I get a normally very sedentary cat to start playing and exercising more? I am freaking out about this, trying to educate myself, and Spooky's daddy is just wanting to ignore the problem. The vet told my mother-in-law to give Spooky two units of insulin twice a day until he goes back to the vet in a week. His blood glucose was 440 yesterday and I have given him one shot today. Could someone put my mind at ease?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are in a difficult position. Is there any way Spooky could live in your room? Would he be miserable? Diet is very important for a diabetic kitty. Here is a website by a vet:www.catinfo.org. Wonder if you in laws could be persuaded to feed wet low carb to all the kitties in the hope none of them become diabetic?

You can certainly give the shots. Pick a calm place in your room. And we would urge you to learn to test at home. Not only is it less expensive than going to the vet, it will keep your Smokey safe. Here are some links and info on home testing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

We'd be glad to help you learn how.

Will it help to know we were all overwhelmed and terrified when we got the diagnosis? The more we learned and experienced, the more confident we became.

3. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Sue's right, we were all a mess when we got the diagnosis. But it really will get easier. You won't fix the problem over night because he didn't become diabetic overnight. It's kind of a marathon, but there many people in here who'll be more than happy to help.

It'll be A huge help if you add this info to your signature: where are you located, type of insulin and dosage, type of food, meter being used.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    You work around what you have. If that means the cat will be on insulin, then you work with that. You might be able to encourage a shift to some lower carb food than what is being fed by sharing the information from Cat Info.
    In the US, there are only a few lower carb dry foods:
    - Young Again 0 Carb, internet only
    - Evo Cat and Kitten dry, found at specialty pet stores or online
    - Stella and Chewey's freeze dried raw, meant to be rehydrated, found at specialty pet stores or online

You can use this online calculator to estimate the nutrition factors needed calculate percent of calories from carbohydrates.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

That calculator will not give you the % calories from carbs, protein, or fat. It is inaccurate. You have to have the as-fed or dry matter basis numbers from the manufacturer and then there is a formula for calculating % calories from carbs, protein, fat. You cannot used guaranteed analysis.

From Janet and Binky (Food Table FAQ) our very first tables on % calories from carbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.