newly diagnosed and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer Abbie, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Abbie

Jennifer Abbie New Member

Hi!
    My sweet girl, Abbie, was diagnosed with diabetes. Her glucose was 387. She is 13 and otherwise healthy. She has a decreased appetite right now and ontop of that is a very picky eater. She has always been a dry food kitty. I know, furry mamma fail:( I just didn't know. Switching her to canned food has been more than a challenge. We have tried wawuva, fancy feast, a few of the friskies, DM, royal canin, wellness, tiki cat. I am really at a loss. I did purchase some dry orijin, because the pet store lady told me it was higher protein than any other dry food. Of course, she ate some of this. She is trying her best and so am I but I worry that we are falling short. I am a very picky eater myself so I have a lot of compassion for her. I have lost my patience with her a time of two and had to walk away. Just eat, its really so simple, right?! I quickly realized that I will choose to think of the extra time I am needing to spend with her as bonding time because I know one day I will give anything to be up with her all night. Hopefully not anytime soon, but we are all going to go sometime. Anyway, I have no children so she is my child. I love her more than anything. She had worst stage fatty liver 6 years ago and wasn't suppose to make it. She is a real miracle but this presents a greater challenge with the concept of "when she gets hungry enough she will eat" because we have past evidence that she will not. More stress on this mama and the more energy I put into watching her or "trying" to monitor things, it just repels her. I read somewhere the other day that desperation repels and gratitude attracts. I have been trying to implement this as much as I can because when I get desperate for her to eat, it does repel her. Any advice for this mama? The vet had agreed to give us 2 weeks on food to see what would happen and that time ends this week. eeek!!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The Orijen might be high protein, but it's also high carb.

If she won't eat anything but kibble, there are two that are low carb (but they're pricey).....Young Again Zero is only available on their website....some kitties have problems with diarrhea from it though.

The other option is fairly new. It's Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein....it's also low carb (my own cat likes this...she won't eat the Young Again)

If you call or email the companies, they'll send you a free sample too.

BUT...keep trying on the transition to canned! The extra water helps to keep their kidneys healthier and that's very important, especially for diabetic cats. Here are some Tips on Transitioning you might try

3. Jennifer Abbie

Jennifer Abbie New Member

Thanks for the tips and the company information I'll contact them tomorrow. I'm def not giving up on the transition. Her preference for dry food just makes it more of a challenge but not impossible. Somehow we will get to canned food just don't know when that will be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.