Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smokie’s Mom, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokie’s Mom

Smokie’s Mom New Member

Hi everyone. My 8yo male, Smokie, was diagnosed with diabetes last Thursday. We started on Prozinc (2 units 2x a day) Thursday night. He was fine until yesterday - he became lethargic, no appetite, vomited many times throughout the day.

I took him to the vet today and they were concerned about ketoacidosis, but he tested negative. They then suspected pancreatitis, though they did not actually test for it (they did blood work and urine). Vet gave sub-Q fluids, anti-nausea, pain med, and appetite stimulant. Said to call tonight or tomorrow if no improvement.

I don’t see a drastic improvement - he ate a little, is walking around a little, but not much. I am having anxiety at the thought of needing to take him back to the vet AGAIN - he’s cost me upwards of $1000 in a week! I am so worried because I feel like he should be acting like himself by now (at least, the vet said he should have perked up by now).

I am equipped and ready to manage his diabetes but right now this is all throwing me for a loop.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Are you testing? What are you feeding him?

3. Smokie’s Mom

Smokie’s Mom New Member

His initial blood work on Thursday was 418. I bought supplies for home testing. Sunday morning his AMPS was 407, and +6 was 340. He hasn’t had insulin since Sunday morning because he hasn’t eaten enough/much of anything. Vet said she was more concerned about getting him to feel better/eat than regulating the diabetes/getting insulin in at this point.

Food: I’ve been giving him fancy feast pate.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Most of us start out at least a little overwhelmed. It will get better! I see you already found the main health forum. There is also a ProZinc forum where you can post any insulin-specific questions.

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Hi there... welcome , it very well could be pancreatitis. They usually won’t eat & he could need more of the appetite stimulant. It’s really best to get them eating so that he can get his insulin; avoiding a chance for DKA. I would call & ask about some meds for home use. Hang in there... it’s fantastic that you are home testing- it all becomes routine. Ask any questions that you have. We were all new at one time!

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

All of the food that vets have are too high in carbs for our diabetic cats. You’ll want to find something under 10 carbs. Fancy feast classics are an affordable fav along with friskies pate. I would feed him anything he likes to eat at this time in order to get back on his insulin. You can always change to a lower carb once you get his numbers a little lower. Keep in mind that lower carbs will make his bg readings lower, keep testing so he doesn’t go into a hypo state. Please read all the stickies at the beginning of the forums pertaining to you. Main forum, prozinc... they have loads of good info.
    I hope this helps!

7. Smokie’s Mom

Smokie’s Mom New Member

So Smokie wasn’t getting better and I called the vet yesterday. They had sent me home on Monday with cerenia plus pain meds and an appetite stimulant. He still wasn’t eating and seemed lethargic. Long story short he ended up being admitted to the emergency hospital. This morning they called and said he has DKA and pancreatitis. They recommended several days of inpatient treatment as the best course of action. I had spent almost $1100 in the last week at the vet, and I paid the low end of the estimate ($2600 - high end was $3500) last night, and I just do not have the money to pay for several more days, at $1000+ a day. The doctor said I can try home treatment but warned me more than once that it’s usually not successful. I am feeling SO defeated and sad. I don’t want to euthanize him, I don’t want to blow through my life savings, and I don’t want him to suffer. I am picking him up this afternoon to try home treatment but I am not optimistic at all that his will work.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about Smokie and the DKA plus pancreatitis. I think you should post in the Main Forum make the title of your thread, to something indicating that your kitty has been diagnosed with both conditions. There are members here who are knowledgeable about and experienced in dealing with these conditions. You need some advice, input and support, this would be a good way to get it.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
  9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

10. lunabeth

lunabeth New Member

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through all of this. I don’t know how to help you but I feel your pain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.