Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone. I'm so grateful to have found this site. My 11 year old boy was just diagnosed with diabetes (it was confirmed yesterday). I've been reading and researching for a few days, and I really do feel completely overwhelmed right now. I have removed dry food from his diet as of yesterday. I have 4 other cats so the cost is an issue for me. But I am determined to do whatever I can to stabilize Jack's glucose and hopefully put him into remission. (I have been reading threads here like a crazy woman!) He has yet to get an insulin shot as I am now waiting for my vet to call and inform me of what insulin I will be using. PZI was suggested, but I'm hoping for an insulin that is less costly but still long acting, if one exists like that. I have been reading about monitoring his glucose levels at home, and I gave it a try a little while ago (I have One Touch Ultra Two). After poking his ear several times and NOT drawing blood, I had to give it a break because Jack walked away. (He was a very patient little boy). I will be posting questions and looking for support in the health section of this forum, but I wanted to introduce myself and my feline buddy here. My biggest concerns now are actually being able to draw blood and being able to afford the insulin and low carb canned food. Also, I'm worried about giving him his first shot without first getting a reading (drawing blood). With the change in his diet, I know his glucose level will be different than it was at the vets. Again, I'm so glad that I found you here, although I wish the need didn't exist.
    ~ Carolyn

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. What PZI was suggested? It is likely ProZinc, which is a good insulin. It is U40 (40 units per ml) so a 10 ml vila contains 400 units. The good human insulins are Lantus and Levemir which are U100 (100 units per ml) so when comparing prices one has to compare on a per unit basis , not on volume. Many of us get Lantus and Levemir for Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada, much less expensive than purchasing in USA.
    The One Touch meters are very good but the strip prices are expensive and because of that I started using another meter/strip which is less expensive. Now one an get third-party strips for the One Touch. One brand is GenUltimate. The downside with the One Touch and its generics is that they require 1 uL of blood while one can one that only require 1/3 or 1/2 uL.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Carolyn and Daddy Jack. I am also very glad you have found the board and have been able to get some of the information you need here. Yep, it does feel overwhelming at first, but step by step and day by day, you are going to see that change. I am very glad you are testing and it's a learning process to be sure. Try warming his ear with a rice sock or a wet warm washcloth, or just rubbing his little ear. As you test more, more capillaries grow and it gets much easier to get blood.
    Please create your signature so that Daddy Jack's information is available with your posts:
    1. Set up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. A location, even general, is also very helpful.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    You have already accomplished much to help Daddy Jack and treat his diabetes. Do post in the Main Health forum with questions and concerns so that more members can see and offer help.

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Larry and Kitties: Oh my goodness! You have already helped me with your response. I thought that 40 units meant per vile, and that I would need to be replacing that vile frequently. I was so concerned about how I would be able to afford to buy Jack's insulin. Now I understand that it's 40 units per ml, and that the vile will last a lot longer than I thought. So... I will be ordering ProZinc now that I know I can afford to do it. Thank you for explaining that!

5. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you for your encouraging words. I will set up a signature as soon as I can. As far as the spread sheet... I will have to figure out how to use it first.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You are welcome, I remember so very well the feelings I had on Idjit's diagnosis. Here is a link to understanding the spreadsheet, and you can take a look at others' spreadsheets in their signatures to get an idea of how it works.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    After you set up the spreadsheet it's just a matter of entering numbers, it updates by itself and shows color coding for the different ranges of test readings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.