Newly diagnosed as well

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nb123, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nb123

nb123 New Member

Cookie was diagnosed last week with diabetes. She'll be 14 in May. Guess it's the initial shock of finding out, worrying about vet bills, how do I get her to eat this new, expensive food, how do I give her a shot if she's not hungry, omg I'm up at 7am on my days off now! LOL Was scared to death about giving her needles. But we've gotten past that and she's letting me do them. Her health does seem better so we're on the right track. We go in for a follow up bell curve tomorrow. My vet is pushing special food at $2.50 a can but the article says Fancy Feast isn't that bad - that's what she's been having twice a day plus dry food (Purcina cat chow) always available - but the vet says that Fancy Feast is McDonald's for cats. Can I drop the special diet and just do the insulin?

beggargirl likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

fancy feast classic is just fine for her but NOT THE DRY. It is wayyyyyy too high in carbs. There's nothing special in the perscription food.

Welcome!

Chrissy66 and beggargirl like this.
  3. nb123

nb123 New Member

is fancy feast 'pate' the same as fancy feast 'classic'? i have a second cat in the house (Ginger) whose only 5 and not diabetic. trying to figure out how to keep them both happy and fed.

4. nb123

nb123 New Member

oh, and thank you!

5. nb123

nb123 New Member

thank you!
    is there a dry food i can leave out that's okay for her?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, in the US Fancy Feast pates are the Classics. There are a couple of low carb dry foods available online, Young Again Mature Zero and Dr. Elsey's. Each have a website and will send a sample if requested.

If you have any other questions please post them on the main health forum where more people will see them.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome! I sympathize and empathize, we got the diagnosis last week also. I have been waking up at 2 or 3 am, grabbing my tablet for research and reviewing giving injections and BG testing. This board is great, a wealth of info and resources. I'm pretty good at jabs, getting better with ear sticks (3 so far). Idjit loves the Fancy Feast and we are also using Friskies pate. I use a canned food table to select lower carb, and to calculate calories. He tested 382 at the vet on Tues, we first tested on Fri, so far 135, 199, 165. I don't think you need Rx food, idjit did not like the canned and the dry is too high in carbs. He gets very little dry now, soon to be none.

8. JanetNJ

They are the same. It’s good for all the kitties to be on lower carb food. It will help to hopefully revert the other one from developing diabetes.

9. JanetNJ

For my diabetic I leave out young again zero mature (1% carb) which is available on www.youngagainpetfood.com. They will send you a free sample of the Young Again f you ask. I leave out epigen 90 (8.5% carb) for my others only because one of them is allergic to the pork that's in young again (otherwise I'd give it to all of them). I've gotten dr elseys clean protein chicken (4.5%) and half liked it and half don't.

10. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.