Hello everyone, Our 9 year old calico Haley was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday at the vet when a blood panel revealed her glucose to be 393. We had taken her in for an emergency visit because she had a seizure. Our vet instructed us to try to get her on wet food, get her weight down slowly (she's 23 pounds, down 5 ounces from 2/13), and to give her 2 units of Lantus after meals in the morning and night immediately. We were to bring her in next Friday to check her levels again. However, I'm highly skeptical about this diagnosis. Upon reading advice from this forum, I decided to use my personal glucometer to check her sugar. We didn't give her any insulin last night because she didn't eat (she was very stressed, scared, and angry after her seizure and then immediately being manhandled-which she hates-by the vet afterwards, and then she came home and warned off our other cat Percy whenever he came near....she actually hid under our living room chair all night). We decided to hold off on the blood sugar test and insulin until the morning to see if she would be hungry enough to eat a full meal (she's a grazer). After we were able to get her out from underneath the chair (14 hour fast), her sugar read 72 on my OneTouch Ultra Mini. I checked our other cat during his fast; his read 69. Her appetite still isn't back up to what it was before, but she grazed a bit this morning and afternoon. I think she's still recovering from the seizure. I couldn't get enough blood just now to check again and wasted two strips trying. I only have one strip left until Monday. She's also not been drinking more water or eating more than usual and the litter box isn't flooded. I'm thinking we should hold off on the insulin because the 393 may have been a stress-dump. She had a very, very hard afternoon before and at the vet. What do you think? I'm kind of mad at the vet as he didn't let us know the stress dump could happen and he diagnosed her after just one blood sugar test. I'm also very wary about taking her back to that facility or contacting them about this. If I hadn't tested her sugar this morning and we had given her 2 units of Lantus after just a couple of bites of food... well. We'd probably be breaking into the emergency corn syrup at the very least. Thank God we bought it yesterday after he gave us the insulin. We get more test strips on Monday and I intend on trying for another reading soon with the last one I have. I'm supposed to call the vet back on Monday to talk about how it's been going and how she's been acting on the insulin. Thanks for reading and in advance for any advice!