Newly diagnosed cat and I'm worried to death!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ontedge21@aol.com, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontedge21@aol.com

ontedge21@aol.com New Member

Hi folks,
    My name is Dixie and my cat Phoebe was just diagnosed with feline diabetes the other day. I brought her home today because we couldn't afford to let her
    stay in the emergency clinic any longer - she was there 3 days after a crisis.
    She was doing well at the clinic, with levels in check, but not eating on her own. They have shown me how to syringe feed her until her appetite returns.
    But now that she's home, she's not drinking either, and I'm sooooo afraid she will go into crisis again! One vet gave me a small amt of an appetite stimulant
    that I gave her earlier, but she's shown no interest in eating either.

If anyone has any wisdom to help us make it thru these first critical days, I'd so very much appreciate it! She is an absolute doll baby, and it breaks my heart for her to have to go thru this!

God bless you all!
    Dixie

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dixie,

I'm so sorry that you have to be here under these circumstances. The best thing you could do is go to the pharmacy and buy a human glucometer, if you have a Walmart nearby, they have a Relion that's great and test strips going forward are a good price.

Here's a link with videos and information on hometesting. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

By testing her blood sugar we could see if she were too high or too low. If she weren't eating from being too low we could suggest ways to get her blood sugar up.

I'd also suggest you buy some "Keto-Diastix" at the pharmacy, they measure the ketones that could be present in urine.

You mentioned she was critical, did the ER say anything about Ketones or DKA? Do you have your records from there that might tell us something?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dixie I'm here and want to do anything I can to help.
    If she is not drinking it could be that her blood sugar is lower.
    Can you tell us the last time she ate and what you are feeding her?
    Also what kind of insulin is she on?
    We really do care and will help with anything we can.
    Lori

4. WickedSteppMom

WickedSteppMom Member

Dixie,
    I'm pretty new to this myself, but will help in any way I can. If you don't mind saying where you live, perhaps there's someone near you that can come by & help, or tell you where the best places to get things near you are.

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Dixie and Phoebe,

First, BREATHE, we understand

Second, a big looong hug 'cos it make both of us feel better

Third, what can we help with?

What kind of insulin are they giving her? How much?

What instructions did the vet give you?

Now, another loooong hug, a smile, a tissue and breathe.....there's lots of people here that have already walked in your shoes. I did it June 8 of this year. It's OK!

6. ontedge21@aol.com

Hi,
    I'm just learning some of the lingo, so sorry... she was diagnosed DKA. I thought that meant diabetes but it's probably a type of diabetes.
    Her insulin is ProZinc.
    I syringe fed her 30 ml of Hill's W/A a couple hours ago - 6 pm(it was watered down a bit to go thru syringe). That was an ordeal to get that much in her.
    I have squirted a little water in her mouth, but other than that - she seems to be refusing everything. I also gave her insulin at 8pm.
    She's also weak and wobbly when she does move around.
    I didn't have her liver tested (for monetary reasons) and the vet thought we had her problem isolated with the DKA, but was disappointed she didn't eat for them.

I live in Mansfield, TX - which is DFW area.
    And she has not urinated since I brought her home.
    I will try to get the glucometer, but think it is probably too late for tonight.

Does anyone know ways that will encourage her to eat or drink? I've got some Fancy Feast out, Whiskas Temptations (which she used to beg for) and water.
    Thanks so much!
    Dixie

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dixie there is something called 'fortifora' that like petsmart and places like that sell. It is powdery. I have no idea what is in it but cats cannot resist it. Also try cutting up raw, yes I said raw..chicken livers. Cats seem to love that as well.
    Since she did not eat much tonight and you shot her...do you have any gravy type cat food in the house? Sometimes cats will lick up gravy when they will eat nothing else. Gravy has carbs.
    I know a girl in your area.
    Would you like a phone call?
    Send me your number and I will call you to see if you want her ok?
    I will also send you a free newbie kit asap too.
    If you can wait until Sat for it to arrive.
    I'm calling the girl in Dallas FW right now.
    Lori

8. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi Dixie,

I'm sorry you and Phoebe are having a rough time and I sure hope she feels better soon.

If she still has ketones she really should be in the hospital, but if you cannot afford that, then you need to work closely with your regular vet to be as aggressive in her care as you can without having her admitted.

It is critical that you be able to monitor her blood glucose readings throughout the day. The Relion brand at Walmart is cheap and reliable - and the strips are cheap when comparing to other brands. While you are at the pharmacy, you will also need to get a package/bottle of ketone test strips. These might be behind the counter. They are strips you will dip in Phoebe's urine to determine if she has ketones and the level of the ketones if she still has them.

It is also important to find out from the vet what her levels were when she was released. Did she still have ketones? How were her blood values? You can get copies of the paperwork from them and they should be willing to go over everything with you so you understand what is going on with her.

If she still has ketones it is imperative that you give her fluids at home - sub-q fluids - not just water through food. Adding food to the water will help, but it will not flush ketones in the manner you may need. You can get the supplies for this from your vet and they can show you how to give them to Phoebe, and how much and how often.

The only time an appetite stimulant has not worked with my cat is when she was extremely ill - so you need to quiz your vet about which pill they used, and maybe try a different type or another dose when appropriate.

With food, I would try anything you think she might eat. Look for foods you might not normally buy - FF Medley's and the grilled FF varieties are big hits here. I would not worry about carb content - just get her to eat.

When you syringe feed her you might try smaller amounts more often if she doesn't like the 30 ml at one time.

Good luck to you both and I hope to see a positive update soon.

Pam and Layla

9. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

Hi Dixie, I live in Arlington, TX and I'd be happy to come help out any way I can.

When one of mine doesn't want to eat and I can't syringe feed them, I put a little food on my finger and smear it on their tongue. It's a little messy, but they usually swallow it. I'll send you my contact info in a PM, please feel free to contact me any time. I would be happy to bring over some fluids to give Phoebe, that would probably help her too.

Do you have a 24 hour Walgreens close by? If so, go buy a True Track glucometer, they're not too expensive, about $14.99 and sometimes they have a rebate that makes them free. You can buy 25 strips for about $19.99, but usually the meter comes with 10 free strips. It's possible that Phoebe's blood sugar is low, she might need some honey to bring it up, but you won't know that unless you check it at home. I know there's a 24 hour Walgreens at Matlock and Mayfield here in Arlington, but I'm not sure about one in Mansfield. I'll send you my contact info, please call me.

Patricia (GAs Fluffy, Mr QT, Murphy, Jonathan, Flannel, Speedy, Angel, Rusty, Bobby, Ash, Moseley, Suzy, Zak, Kobe and Cory) Corky, Oreo & Rufus

10. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Since it is after hours, right now all you can do is get food and water into her and then take some further steps tomorrow.

You need to get calories into her so that she doesn't develop further complications. Syringe feeding is not fun, I had to do it when Squeak was diagnosed and then again recently when he developed a new health issue. But it saves lives.

What kind of appetite stimulant did you get? Mirtazapine can work well but can take a couple of doses to kick in.

If you don't have ketone sticks tonight, and don't have someone to go and get them, then focus on getting food and water in on a regular basis (ie every couple of hours or even more frequently).

tomorrow, you need more details from your vet. were there ketones in the urine only or was the blood acidotic? what were blood glucose levels? were electrolyte levels messed up? what is the name of the appetite stimulant?

the next few days may be very tough, but if your cat's condition isn't grave, you may be able to do this on your own.

Keep posting, ok? oh, and Patricia is a GREAT resource!

Jen

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Dixie,

Please take Patricia (from Arlington) up on her offer.

Patricia is very experienced with DKA and diabetes in general, and
    has a good heart.

Please at least call her...check your Private Messages here on FDMB....look in the upper
    left-hand corner for "user Control Panel (x new messages)...." and click on "x new messges".

12. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I live in Kaufman, which is about a good 2+ hour drive away from you. Pam would be a better resource and help for you than I would be. I hope that you'll be able to get her to eat and drink. Keep trying different foods, even try a small amount of tuna in water (not too much because of the mercury content in it). Also, try giving small pieces of steamed chicken (make sure it's boneless and skinless). Even the water from the tuna may help to get her appetite back. I'm not sure if cheese is a good idea, and if so, which kind (slices or the block kind). I hope that someone with more experience with regards to cheese can help you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I wish for a full and speedy recovery for her. Hang in there!

13. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Hello Ms. Dixie (mommabean) & Phoebe,

Please let us know how she is doing this am!

Lori wrote to you about me being close to you, my name is Shellie. I live in Euless and have a test kit that I will pass on, with 25 strips, and lots of lancets. Please let me help Phoebe by passing this on to you.

BTW....PATRICIA is WONDERFUL! She will be able to help greatly with Phoebe. She came to my home and helped me with Civvie (not diabetic) Slappy when she did not want to eat. She taught me how to wrap her burrito style in a towel and dropper fed her for many days in a role...(I could not get the syringe feeding tube to work), until mommy learned how and Slappy is still with me today! ....THANK YOU PATRICIA!!! :D

Do you have a magic bullet type of blender??? I found that using mine helped alot to get the food thru the dropper. I also diluted the food with tuna juice. We used param. cheeze on the top of the food to try to get her to eat, and some fora flora, they come in small packets....you have to get this at the vets, but they do sell them individually, but you might have to call around to find a vet that will do it...my vet only sells by the box...I wanted to purchase just a few packets first to see if it would help and my girls would like it first...It is a little pricey. Another thing we did was use baby food...meat w/ broth...Beeches makes it.

I work until 3 pm today. I work in Lewisville which is a small trip from Mansfield, but I did bring the test kit supplies with me today just in case you wanted to try to get it before I left from work. I do not mind helping you learn to test at all, just did not know if you wanted to wait on me to be able to come to you. I also have some ketone sticks, but forgot those at home ohmygod_smile

You can call me ANYTIME....... I think Lori sent you my phone number last nite. Please let us help you help Phoebe so that you may be able to have happy stories to pass on to the other newbies as I have been able to do with my super sweet Sugar Bean....

Welcome aboard, you have found the best place to be!

14. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Hello Dixie,
    I just mapquest searched and you are about 30 miles from me. That is not soo far that this cannot happen, let me know :?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am concerned about this newbie. It looks like her member name might also be her email address.
    Anyone want to drop her an email letting her know we are here for her and waiting to do all we can?

16. ontedge21@aol.com

Hi again,
    Thanks to everyone for your concerns. It gives me great hope we can pull Phoebe thru this!

Sorry I didn't post sooner. She (and I ) had a rough night and I'd fallen asleep on the bathroom floor after syringe feeding this am.
    I spoke to Patricia by phone and she gave me a couple tips. Bought a glucometer late last night and will try that in a couple minutes.
    Then will try to feed some more. Have vet appt at 4pm to make sure we are in the right direction. Her not drinking is still a concern,
    but she was on i.v.'s for days and it may take a bit. Just fumbling thru this.

Thanks to everyone for caring about my dear baby girl! I'm eternally grateful. Will post again, and thank you soooo much!
    Patricia is an angel on earth!

17. ontedge21@aol.com

Hi again,
    Update on Phoebe. The vet visit was much worse than I'd expected, but as of now, she's hanging on.
    Hadn't been able to check her glucose before visit, and it was 31. I had given her the insulin, as directed, this am, and fed her 25 ml early,
    and then got 17ml of baby food down her around 3:30. Doc said she wouldn't have made it much longer and was really surprised she had gone so
    far downhill after she was relatively stable when released from 24 hr. clinic yesterday at noon.
    Doctor thinks it's liver related and her prognosis is poor, but she's not positive without add'l test, and Pheebs is too sick to undergo much more.
    Noted yellowish tint around ears and eyes, which is why she thinks liver may not be functioning correctly.

The vet gave her some glucose in the office and subcutaneous fluids in the office and I brought the bag of fluids home. We were able to check
    her glucose this evening and it was 135 - YAY!
    But still not eating on her own - have tried grilled chicken, tuna, Fancy Feast, Temptations...
    No more insulin for now per her vet, and I'll still syringe feed her unless she eats. The extra fluids have allowed her to go potty, so that was good.
    I just hope and pray she will eat, so she can have somewhat of a normal life with diabetes.

The next 24 hours is critical for her. The reality that there's a good possibility she may not make it is so very hard.
    If any of you are so inclined, I'd greatly appreciate any prayers for my Phoebe. Thanks, and God bless you all!

Dixie

18. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Prayers coming for Phoebe ......sounds to me like she may be headed for fatty liver(Hepatic Lipidosis)from not eating. You need to get food into her....the liver can turn around......try getting some food in every few hours. Sometimes a feeding tube is needed to save them. I'm surprised the vet hasn't brought this possibility up and how important food is right now.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dixie you and Pheobe both have my prayers. I've been so eager to see a post from you. Just know you have a support team here who really wants to help in any way we can.
    Sending you hugs from afar.
    Lori

20. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

21. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

Hi Dixie, it was so good to talk to you today. I will keep you and Phoebe in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you were able to check her blood sugar at home, 135 is a good number.

It's important for her to eat, so if she still won't eat, syringe feeding her is the best thing you can do at home. I've brought two through liver failure and I recommend that you ask your vet for some Denamarin to give Phoebe. That's the one thing that really helped mine pull through.

You also might want to ask your vet about a feeding tube. I don't have any experience with feeding tubes, but others on here do. I know it makes it so much easier to get food into them.

Please keep us updated on Phoebe and if I can do anything to help you, just give me a call.

Patricia (GAs Fluffy, Mr QT, Murphy, Jonathan, Flannel, Speedy, Angel, Rusty, Bobby, Ash, Moseley, Suzy, Zak, Kobe and Cory) Corky, Oreo & Rufus

22. KSAkitties

KSAkitties Member

Dixie and Phobe,

I am sorry that I don't have any advice. Just wanted to give you some moral supports. You are both in my prayers.

23. ontedge21@aol.com

Good news!!! Phoebe seemed to become a little alert around 3 am this morning, and actually ate a bit of tuna!
    I'm soooo grateful for all your thoughts and prayers for my baby, and am sure this is God responding! Thank you!
    Still not drinking on her own but finished her bag of subcutaneous fluids.
    Does anyone know if once they start eating, if the desire to eat kicks in? Any thoughts on if the desire to drink water is related to the desire to eat?

Unless Phoebe eats significantly more, I can see having to supplement food by syringe, but I genuinely feel like she's turned the corner.
    The doctor had me skip the last insulin, and I checked her glucose a bit ago and it was up to 242. Last check around 9pm had been 135. It's most likely my
    fault as I gave her a bit of honey with her food and earlier this a.m.

I truly am grateful for so many good wishes and prayers for my girl! Hopefully we will have more good news later. The doctor said this 24 hours was critical, so
    it feels like we're headed in the right direction.
    Thank you again, and God bless each of you!!

Dixie

24. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Continued get better prayers and good thoughts, and sending eating [​IMG] vines to Phoebe.

25. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Prayers coming for you and Phoebe, and good news that she
    is feeling a bit better and eating some.

Keep up the good work. She needs to eat.

26. Lorraine + Nigel

Lorraine + Nigel Member

Dixie-
    Have just read through the posts on your Dixie. What a past several days you have had!!! Hang in there. These girls are great here and so full of helpful tips. It is overwhelming for you to deal with this (at least for now) but take them up on any home visits or help. Your Vet may try to discourage home testing and other areas of expertise found here but remember that you are Dixie's champion and what's best for her comes first. Just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you and please keep us all updated. Also, my cats will always eat Beechnut chicken, beef or turkey baby food---just the meats, nothing else---when they don't have an appetite from not feeling well so you might want to have some handy in your home. Unless that is bad for diabetics. Someone may chime in here about that. My diabetic boy, Nigel was only here for a short time and he went into remission before he left me in May, so I stop by here once in a while just to stay in touch. You can do this, Dixie!!!

27. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Baby food meats are fine for diabetics.

But it is not complete and balanced nutrition, so should be used
    only for supplemental feeding, until things return to normal.

28. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

DCIN is helping to get Phoebe an E-Tube. Phoebe is presently at the vet getting potassium supplementation and for the surgery for the feeding tube. If anyone wants to help, Dixie/Phoebe are taking all the prayers and well wishes they can get, and DCIN is collecting donations for the surgery. DCIN's blog page for Phoebe with the chip-in widget is here.

29. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I just donated! I am glad to help. I've been through this a few times with a few kitties. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your baby! <3

30. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You guys are great. Chipped in :D

31. Patricia and Gang

Patricia and Gang Member

I'm so happy to see this news, hopefully, this will be just what Phoebe needs to get well. I just added my contribution, every little bit helps.

32. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Sent money and still keeping Phoebe in my prayers.

33. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Wish we could do more...but we will be keeping 20 fingers, 20 toes, and 56 paws all crossed for both you and Phoebe. Tons of healing prayers being sent from the Great Plains of Nebraska.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

34. ontedge21@aol.com

Phoebe is home after surgery!

Thank you, thank you to all who've offered their support, suggestions and prayers for Phoebe! She really turned the corner last night (and after the vet talking about
    likely euthanasia yesterday) - I'm so darn grateful - it doesn't feel like I even know the right words to express how much I appreciate all your support!

The feeding tube suggestion, followed by DCIN's generous assistance, are truly making the difference for Phoebe. Yesterday, she was so limp they didn't think she'd make it thru the night. I am SURE all the prayers were heard, as my baby started stirring about 3 am, and from there on, I could see her desire to live! In fact, the vet remarked she looked like a totally different kitty today! Those prayers work wonders! Thank you so much!

After surgery today, she looks like she has a little antenna coming out of her neck, but we are able to get enough food in her tummy! It's the first time since Sunday, I felt SURE she'd pull thru this. Big giant hugs and may God rain blessings on you and your precious babies!!

Dixie

35. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Hi!! ((hugs)) I was just told about your condo! I know EXACTLY how you feel!! My kitty just went through DKA and a feeding tube a couple months ago (August). We just had DKA scare number two last week. I live in Fort Worth. I know exactly where Mansfield is if you ever need anything at all. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have too! I tube fed Garland for a month. She was literally knocking on heavens door when I got her to the ER. Everyone here is such a blessing and saved her life. We will all hold your hand everystep of the way! With Garland once she got the etube she got worse before she got better. But once she turned the corner everyday was better and better. The feeds started with me going super slow. Took like an hour for each feed, but after a week or so they went much faster. Hang in there. Its hard, but its sooo worth it in the end. Garland acts like shes never been sick a day in her life now.

Oh, and buy a KittyKollar from KittyKollar.com. Best thing ever for an etube. Changing those bandages can get hard and they tend to scratch at them once they start feeling better

Here is a video of Garlands Kollar

36. ontedge21@aol.com

Hi again and thanks to so many!
    Phoebe is doing better today, (most of the time)... her blood glucose is roller coastering as we try to get it regulated. Seems like every other check is over 400, but it was also 151 earlier today (467 at 4:30 before insulin). And I'm still stressing about everything! But talking with the vet today helped, and I just now had time to review the hometesting videos (thanks for the links!!!). I was doing as my vet suggested, but the videos showed me things that I'm sure will cut down on the bad pokes. Poor Phoebe! My mis-pokes surely elevated her glucose readings. :( But it will be better now.

And the Kitty Kollar link - so cute! Will have to get her one and she'll feel much prettier! Can you pick the pattern?

Violet and Garland - you're so right about the feedings going soooo slow. I'm adding some water to the A/D after measuring, then filling the syringe. If anyone has any ideas to make the process a little smoother, please let me know! I AM flushing a small amt of water occasionally as I feed when it tries to back up.

I'm going to end this thread now as she's thru the worst of it, but from the bottom of my heart, I want everyone to know how much Phoebe and I appreciate all the support and prayers! You folks (and God, of course) have TRULY helped save my kitty and I'm eternally grateful!

Will start a new thread soon and try to get a picture of Miss Phoebe Jane, so you can see my baby. God bless you all!

37. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Dixie, we really look forward to a picture.

AND...

Thank you all so much!!! DCIN has collected all it needs to pay its part of the bill for Phoebe's feeding tube.

And thank you for the prayers and well wishes for Miss Phoebe Jane. She is doing much better.

38. ontedge21@aol.com

Phoebe Jane and her feeding tube

This is a picture of my dear Phoebe. She is a dilute calico manx with a heart of gold! She is quite a talker with a huge voculary, and very affectionate. Plus she's sensitive - she can tell when I'm upset and has always done her best to come and assure me it will be ok. This past week with crisis after crisis makes me appreciate her all the more!

The feeding tube has made all the difference in the world. She's still weak, but a bit stronger each day. She even has enough strength to bob and weave a bit while I'm attempting to feed, as she's still not real thrilled with the process. Thanks so much to everyone! I've learned so much! Phoebe is very grateful, also!

Dixie

Attached Files:

39. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Aww, she's adorable, Dixie. I would suggest asking your vet for Clinicare. High potency liquid diet for tube feeding. Comes in a can and much better to thin the A/D down with than water. All of my tube cats were only fed Clinicare,,,,,,,nothing else. Glad to hear she is getting better.

40. Lorraine + Nigel

Lorraine + Nigel Member

What a beautiful girl Phobe is, Dixie!!!! Hope that only better days are ahead for both of you as she continues to improve. She sits like a Princess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.