NEWLY DIAGNOSED CAT ONCE A DAY DOSE?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Willie, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie New Member

I am new to this board and am having trouble researching because of ignorance of terminology. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes last week. We go in on Monday for the vet to do a glucose test. Right now we are on a 12 hour schedule with Lantus. I would very much like to put the cat on one dose a day rather than two. ( My sister had kept a cat alive for 10 years with only one daily shot so I know it can be done). The vet is not yet very interested in agreeing to pursue that. I might not be able to handle the twice a day schedule and hate to face the consequences of that which would be losing the cat. Live in the country and it is not easy to find or afford outside help to come give shots. Would appreciate any positive experiences with using a once a day schedule. I am sure my vet can supply lots of negative input. Thanks so much. This is all very overwhelming at this point.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi there! cats metabolize insulin faster than humans which is why we generally shoot twice a day. you've landed in a forum which is pretty much numbers driven. most here are following a tight regulation protocol which demands shooting twice a day. you'll probably have better luck getting responses to your question if you cross post on the Feline Diabetes Health Forum: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=3.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

We have all been at the point in the beginning of being overwhelmed with learning we have a diabetic cat. Learning about diabetes, home testing, giving insulin shots, what to feed, etc. is a lot all at once. So, a few deep breaths are in order. This is a great place to ask questions. We can direct you to lots of resources.

First, regarding your question about once a day dosing...
    I haven't any idea what insulin your sister was using. If it's possible for you to find out, that may help. However, most forms of insulin are given twice per day, Lantus included. A cat's metabolism is faster than a human's and it requires that even a long acting insulin like Lantus be given x2/day.

To get started, please read the notes at the top of the board that are starred. They contain a great deal of information about Lantus use, this Board, and most importantly, the dosing protocol that we use to guide dosing decisions. We also strongly encourage home testing. If you need to get started with testing at home, as Jill suggested, you may want to post on the Health forum. There may be someone who lives in your general area who can help you learn how to do this.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

5. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Hi,

My vet had me start off with once a day dosing for Lantus. He said that although mosts cats do need it twice a day, he didn't want to miss out on the possibility that Quincy was one of the rare cats who could do well with Lantus only once a day. If you look at Quincy's spreadsheet (in my signature file) you can see that I tried him on once a day for about a month. Like you, I was really concerned about my ability to give doses 2x a day, and most people on this board were very insistent that that was what I needed to do. I gave it a try, though, and did blood sugar tests throughout the day. It became pretty obvious, though, that once a day wasn't going to cut it, so I went to twice a day and that has made a big difference. In fact, Quincy is doing very well and now is on a dose of only 0.10 twice a day. I am glad I switched him to twice a day even though it's been hard at times because I think it did a lot to increase his chances for remission.

If you're really focused on dosing once a day, you could try it for a couple of weeks and test your cat's blood sugar every few hours (that's called plotting a "curve"). That would enable you to see how low he/she goes, and at what point in the cycle (many cats reach their lowest point about 6 hours after the shot), and then when he/she starts rising. If your cat reaches his/her lowest point around 10 or 12 hours and very slowly rises, then maybe you can get away with once a day. But again, that's very, very unusual, and you could be reducing your cat's chances of not needing insulin the rest of his/her life if you spend too much time trying to make one dose work. Increasing the amount of insulin given once a day won't help either - it just may make your cat go too low early and then jump back up later.

I hope this helps, and that you find a system that works for you. There is a ton to learn in the beginning - it's a very steep learning curve - but you do get the hang of things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.