Newly diagnosed Chloe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lau, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lau

Lau Member

Morning,
    I am the mother of 4 dog fur kids and 6 feline fur kids one of which was just diagnosed with diabetes. Chloe is a 13 year old 16 pound DSH polydactyl silver tabby. Yesterday her vet proscribed Prozinc 2 units 12 hours apart and I haven’t started yet was going to start this evening.

Her reading at the vet from her full panel bloodwork was 20.* (I can’t remember the decimal point). I purchased a one touch verio flex meter last night and tetsed her blood at 7pm (22.9) and 7 am this morning(21.9). I’ve been reading everything I can find in here for more info to get us started on the right foot.

I plan to switch Chloe to wet food right before dosing but will leave out dry food for the others at all times. The dry food they are currently on is authority chicken and rice and I was going to switch to simply nourish high protein dry as I figured it would have less carbs. I get a significant discount on it so I was hoping to stay within the authority/simply nourish lines of food as I have 10 mouths to feed. The wet food I will feed will either be simply nourish or fancy feast.

My main questions are regarding food. Should I switch the food right now for all before I start giving insulin as I’ve read you shouldn’t switch that fast once your cat is on insulin. Or should I leave them on it and give Chloe the wet food right before the insulin injections? If I do switch how long should she be on it before I start giving insulin? I’m so confused with feeding and want to make Chloe feel better ASAP. I do plan to continue to free feed dry so she will have access to it throughout the day I would like a better dry for them.

Thanks
    Lau

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Lau. You are asking good questions about changing Chloe's diet and giving the insulin. Congratulations on already home testing, that's so very important to keep Chloe safe and to see how the diet change and insulin affects her BG.
    I suggest you create a signature that will provide Chloe's pertinent information (what kind of insulin, the dosage, etc.) that will be available with your posts, so that advising members can see it. Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Geographic information is helpful, as we have members all over the world, and time values in a post can be confusing.
    Please post your concerns and questions in the Main Health forum, so that more members can see and give you input: HERE
    If you like you can just copy your intro post here and paste it into a new thread there. This Introduction forum is more like a welcome mat on the front porch so you can say hello and we can direct you to the places/information you immediately need.
    Best wishes as you learn the "sugar dance", we are here to help.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wet is best for all of them but if you want to leave a little dry for the others try epigen 90 or Dr elsley's clean protein chicken flavor. They are both under 10 percent carb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.