Newly diagnosed Cosmo Kramer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jennie and Cosmo, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennie and Cosmo

jennie and Cosmo New Member

Greetings everyone!! Cosmo, my little lion, was diagnosed a few weeks ago....on my birthday, sadly enough! I noticed I felt his ribs when I was petting him and my husband commented on how he was changing the litter very frequently. Vet found him at 360 and ran the other tests covering a wider length of time to confirm it. A friend of mine directed me to a different feline board where I found a lot of useful info. However, they didn't follow a consistent dosing pattern and I wasn't comfortable with that. I found this site's protocol's much simpler and user friendly for someone just starting.
    So I threw away all the dry food and started monitoring his blood and he dropped to below 300 after about a week and a half. My vet originally gave me Humulin at 2 u and he plummeted to 63 and then shot right back up. I didn't like the way the numbers looked and the way he was acting so I took him off after reading a lot of good things about Lantus. I started him off 2 days ago at .25 to see how it goes. Hypo scares the crap out of me so I wanted to start slow. The first day he had a nadir (I think) at 193 at +5 and yesterday he was at 148 at +4. His preshot numbers are in the high 200s. I've already seen such a difference in his daily demeanor. He has been awake more and affectionate. Do they just bounce back like this with the insulin or do they have ups and downs?
    My vet is blown away that he's going so low at such a tiny dose. What do you guys think about this? I'm also wondering about preshot numbers. After they've been on a dose consistently, do the preshot numbers start to go down?

beggargirl likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Jennie and Cosmo. What good news about Cosmo and your treatment of his diabetes. I am going to offer some advice. You are needing information on dosing, and I am not qualified to do that, I'm sorry. But, members who can answer your questions will want as much information as possible and I can offer you links to tools that will help. First, set up your signature so the members can see information on Cosmo without you having to repeat. See the gray text below my response to you? Here's a link:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Second, there is a spreadsheet to record insulin and testing results that is attached to your signature, so advising members can readily see that information. Here is a link to that area:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    Third: there is a forum dedicated to Lantus insulin users, and there are knowledgeable and experienced people that scan that "room" to assist, advise and support : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/
    There are yellow tagged info and stickies at the top of the Lantus forum and the Main Forum you will find helpful.
    I wish you and Cosmo the best in learning the 'sugar dance'. :cat:

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.