Newly diagnosed....could abscessed tooth cause high levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by gizzysmom, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizzysmom

gizzysmom New Member

Hi..I'm a newbie here. My 10 year old male Gizzy started this constant swallowing 6 weeks ago. After ck up, vet found nothing and sent him home with antibiotics. The swallowing continued and I noticed that he seemed to be losing weight. I rescue cats so I guess I wS a little slow on picking up on the weight loss because I am currently taking care of 15 cats. Took him back to vet after about 6 weeks and he had lost almost 2 pounds. We hAd been keeping him in for a while but I hadn't noticed him drinking, eating or peeing excessively. Well after blood panel his sugar was 420 and they said diabetes and he had ketones. He also has an abscessed tooth. He has been at vets since last Tuesday. His sugar Wednesday afternoon had gone down to 280 and no longer had ketones. Thursday started going back up to 380.These days he was given 1 unit. Friday around 400, Saturday 440 and today 520. They gave him 2 units these days. They say he is eating. When I visit he is alert, getting fluids, pain meds and antibiotics. He perks up when he sees me. Tomorrow they want to remove the abscessed tooth. I'm just concerned as to why it keeps climbing. Could it be the infection or stress? Will it be okay to remove tooth? And why the higher units given, the higher his numbers are going? Would appreciate any advice :)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: Newly diagnosed....could abscessed tooth cause high leve

See my response on your other post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.