Newly diagnosed delgado!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by edenbee, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenbee

edenbee Member

My cat Delgado who has had hypothyroid twice in the past now has diabetes. I didn't realize weak back legs and the frequent urination and thirst were the signs. We thought he possibly had the thyroid issue again.
    Got insulin and started him out with 2 units yesterday...amazingly he seemed a little happier already and more alert. Today he refused to eat, threw up twice and has muscle twitches. I ran to the vet with him and his blood levels had gone down from 500 to 190...but I had given him the shot a few hours before.
    Still, my vet said he was responding very fast and well. Tomorrow I try to get him to eat his different food which is basically fancy feast classic and royal canin glyco. Not too big a change but he is obsessed with grilled cans and is freaking out he is not getting them now and is only fed twice a day. He never liked dry food and he has no teeth so that part is not an issue. Eating only twice a day is...and finding a food he likes as much. He goes down to 1 unit tomorrow too. Del is very special...I brought him to NYC all the way from Mexico where I found him starving in the bushes. Hoping the lower dose is better for him and he adjusts to the new food schedule. Had a minor panic today when I saw him twitching and then throwing up and crying.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Are you home testing? That’s the best way to keep Delgado safe. Also, most of us feed multiple mini meals each day. It seems to keep the blood sugar a bit more steady and kitty happier. Come to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are going to lower the dose! That's what I was going to suggest. 1 unit is the typical starting dose. Welcome

If you have any specific questions write on the main health forum where more eyes will see it.

4. edenbee

edenbee Member

No, we haven't discussed home testing yet. I can barely give the shots but I am already getting better. My vet is on my block so its very easy to bring Del over there for testing. I gave one unit of ProZinc just now...he threw up again today and is being stubborn about eating new food. And even his old food. He does seem to be okay with the royal canin glyco though which is nice. I didn't realize I can feed multiple times a day...that would be great cause he eats a little at a time really. And then sometimes an entire can at night. I will check out the main health forum. Thanks!

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! AAHA guidelines recommend feeding four times a day, and they say free-feeding is okay if your cat is underweight: https://www.aaha.org/professional/resources/diabetes_management.aspx Low-carb wet foods are best. I am surprised the vet started him out on a 2 unit dose. The normal starting does is 1 unit twice a day. Hopefully, that will work out better for him.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. edenbee

edenbee Member

Thanks I will check the link! Oy, I hope my vet knows what he is talking about. He is a good vet I think he was wanting to get the levels down fast as he was over 500. I will check out that link. Glad I found this board!

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. That must be real handy to have a vet just down the street.

Testing isn't that hard. After 10-15 tests you will be a pro in no time. Plus it is would be less strenuous on your kitteh if you did it at home. Just something to think about. After awhile most cats get used to it - especially if you followup with a treat.

edenbee likes this.
  8. edenbee

edenbee Member

Yeah he's half a block away which is great but yeah, I would like to be able to do the home testing for my peace of mind and for his because, yes, he really hates the vet!

9. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Delgado! What a cool name! I was curious about the twitching he had, was it facial by any chance? My hyperthyroid girl Dee had facial twitching the last few years she was with me, and I know a few others with hyper-T kitties have seen it also. We could never find a reason for it, and it did not seem to bother her.... perhaps a side effect of methimazole?

10. edenbee

edenbee Member

I rescued him from Mexico and he was so thin...now he's huge and his name is skinny boy haha. His twitching was not really on his face. I noticed it on his back when I touched him and while he walked around. My vet said it was likely just a side effect and its pretty muted stopped now.

srk4cats, Sarah Smith and JeffJ like this.
  11. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Good person. How did you get him past customs?

12. edenbee

edenbee Member

It was a nightmare...I had papers made up saying he had all his shots 3 months before...when a vet actually gave him them that morning at 6am. All they had to do was see on my passport I was only in Tulum for 10 days. Vet was so happy we were taking the dying cat he didn't charge us...gave me tranquilizers for the plane in case he woke up. At customs I had him in a duffle bag and it was going through the Xray and I was like NOOO theres a cat in there! haha...zthen I said if I can't take him I'm not leaving Mexico and I sat on the floor and refused to move. Immigration grilled us for 2 hours. WE have tattoos and they through we were going to use delgado in a satanic ritual. Finally they said its $100 to take him. I counted out all the money I had in change and they said we are sick of you just go. No charge just get him on the plane. Where he woke up every hour and pooped and peed and it was a nightmare but everyone was so nice about it...happy we saved him from dying down there. Longest plane ride of my life!

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  13. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

WOW! what a story!!! that is amazing!!!! impressive!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.